Home

Coaching Career of B. Youngblood (CH2K8)

This is a discussion on Coaching Career of B. Youngblood (CH2K8) within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2014, 01:09 AM   #65
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Coaching Career of B. Youngblood (CH2K8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker91
Congrats on making it deep into the tournament, gonna have to chase away some demons to take down UNC, but good luck nonetheless. If only the real Zags played this well last season, lol ruined Mid-Majors getting tournament respect in my opinion.

Thanks. Game is played. Going to post soon.. Yeah Zag's IRL, have been known to choke come tourney time. Wichita State and VCU however have had better luck recently which is funny because those were the other 2 Mid-Major jobs I was offered.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2014, 01:45 AM   #66
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

GONZAGA VS UNC PART III

#1 (31-4) VS #6 29-8

For Coach Youngblood this game would mark the 3rd time he has faced the mighty Tarheels of Carolina in the Final 4. The first time well at UC Davis in his 2nd year didn't end so pretty as UNC won by 40, going over the century mark.

So after the WVU win, Coach YB was on the phone talking with NC State HC Sidney Lowe about how to defeat Goliath, as the Wolfpack beat UNC twice (once in the regular season and then in the ACC title game).

Even today the 1972 game of #1 Virginia lead by 7'4 Ralph Sampson vs Chaminade University? The tiny Catholic liberal arts school with only 800 students in Honolulu, that had a basketball team for just seven years, still ranks as the biggest Goliath vs David upset of all time as the Silverwoods won 77-72, but today for Coach Youngblood and the Zag's this would be their David vs Goliath moment.

The Tarheels starting lineup boast 3 JR's and SO PF Ty Ames a 5* McDonal's AA but it's SR PG V. Krough who comes off the bench that has Coach YB worried. The 6th man is UNC's leading scorer (17.6 PPG)

UNC also is the #1 scoring team in the nation at (90.9 PPG) well shooting close to 40% from 3pt.

GAME RECAP

UNC showed that high power offense in the 1st half as they score 57 points to take the 13 point lead (57-44) behind 16 points from JR SG D. Beck 3/5 3pt and Krough's 12 pts off the bench.

Having already watched UNC put up over 100 points in both of his previous 2 meetings, Coach YB switched up the defense in the 2nd half going to a 3-2 zone well also pressuring the ball after every basket.. The switch worked as Gonzaga held the Tar Heels to just 34 points in the 2nd half.

Offensively, Gonzaga without top 3pt shooter M. Haynes would lean on SR SG S. Moody for big shots when they need them most, and Mood delivered finishing the game 4/7 from 3pt after going 0/2 in the 1st half. The biggest shot of the night however belonged to a different man. Tied 91-91, with less the 5 seconds to play UNC was called for a foul on D. Amerson. Amerson 2/4 from the line would sink both FT's to give Gonzaga the 2 pt lead. UNC would have 1 chance to tie or hit a 3pt for the win. Beck would take the inbound pass and as the buzzer hit zero, launch a 3pt shot that looked good from his hand but the ball hit iron, rimming out. David had won... The little guy was heading to the Chip.

FINAL SCORE GONZGA-93 UNC-91

KEY PLAYERS

S. Moody would lead the Zags with 20 pts. He also posted his first double double as he grabs 11 rebs, and was just 2 Assist shy of a triple triple finishing with 8 assists.

SR PG T Burke also finished with a double double 15 pts 10 assist well also going 3/4 from beyond the arc.

Amerson and Blackgrove combined to score 22 pts from the post.

Beck finished with 26 pts on 4/9 from 3pt for the UNC in the loss, well Krogh fnished with 20 pts and 7 asssit.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #67
JJ4
Rookie

OVR: 4

I lost to UNC last night. By lost I mean at one point I was down 84-66 and I had the superior team. Feels good to see them lose to you.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #68
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

WHO WILL CUT DOWN THE NETS?

#5 (28-7) VS

The Year was 1992. Coach Youngblood had purchased NCAA Basketball for his Super Nintendo, and he was in love.. A sophomore in high school, Coach YB loved firing up NCAA and challenging friends to see who could take their team to a Final 4.

For Coach YB he loved running with the Oklahoma State Cowboys. They had a huge center in Big Country Bryant Reeves and a trio of 3pt shooters that could take over games and dominate his opponents.

During a Jazz Festival (played alto sax) held in Portland Oregon, friends in the band convinced YB to bring his system and game with him to play in the hotel room that weekend. The 4 guys stayed up all night playing taking turns sleeping when their teams were not playing and that is where for the very first time Coach YB took a notebook and pen and documented every game keeping track of players stats naming a Tourney MVP as well as 1st and 2nd Team All-Conference members.

Now 22 years later, Coach Youngblood is playing a different game. College Hoops 2K8, and this time in his virtual world of coaching, the coach is leading the Gonzaga Bulldogs into the National Title Game and who is it standing in their way, but Oklahoma State... A pen and notebook is still used to capture stats and results, but with those 3 friends long gone, Coach Youngblood has turned his passion of sharing results with those on the forums of Operations Sports, a website dedicated to those who love to do the same.

The Cowboys beat #10 Arizona State (87-60) in the Final 4 to get there, led by SG L. Siebrandt's 27 pts on 5/8 3pt shooting.. Siebrandt will be a player Coach YB will need to keep a eye on. A 39% 3pt shooter during the regular season, the SR SG is the Cowboys 2nd leading scorer (13.7 PPG), with SR PF D. Malone being their #1 man on the inside (17.1 PPG 7.5 RPG, 2.6 BPG), but the Cowboys roster didn't stop there. They also had SR C H. Helke and JR PG I. Dawn who produce double digits per game (12.8 and 12.2) with Dawn being a 40% 3pt shooter. Their other starter 6'7 SR SF H. Galloway (7.2 PPG) is a 40% 3pt shooter as well.

GAME RECAP

Poor shooting by the Zags and costly turnovers led to a (52-35) by the Cowboys. Oklahoma State shot 5/11 from 3pt. 6th man J. Richardson led the team with 15pts including 5/6 from FT, well backup bigman J. Balkman had 9 pts and 10 reb.

R. King had 11 pts well shooting 3/6 off the bench to lead the Zag's. S. Moody had 9 pts on 3/8 3pt to lead the starters. As a team was just 9/23 from 3pt. If they are going to make a comeback they will need to fix that quickly.

A 0/10 performance from 3pt allows Gonzaga to make a comeback as they go 8/17 from beyond the arc and pull within 2 pts with less than a minute to play, but a back to back misses, give the Cowboys the 6pt lead with 32 seconds to play and GU is forced to foul. When the Cowboys were not hitting their FT's to keep the lead intact they were getting the rebound and scoring on the 2nd chance basket. All Coach Youngblood could do was watch as the Cowboys win the Title and the right to cut down the nets.

FINAL SCORE OSU-84 GU-78

KEY TEAM STATS

OSU shot 48% for FG and 15/24 from FT. They also dominated the boards (52-32) including 17 Offensive that lead to 14 2nd chance which when it was all said and done was a big key to the win.

KEY PLAYERS

OSU had 5 players score in double digits led by PG I. Dawn’s 16 pts. He was named POG even though PF D. Malone (13 pts 14 reb) and J. Balkman (11 pts 16 reb) both posted double doubles.

S Moody led the Zags with 24 pts hitting 6/14 from 3pt. He also had 5 rebs and 6 steals.

R King was a force off the bench as he finished with 19 pts hitting 5/12 from 3pt.

FR D. McKenzie added 14 pts and 7 rebs as well hitting a season best 4/8 from 3pt.

Center D. Amerson led the team with 9 rebs but posted a season low 4pts as he was 2/10 from the field.

Coach Youngblood
Quote:
"It's always tough to end the season like this. We were so close... Well I am disappointed not be be able to send out guy's like Burke,Moody and Haynes as National Champs, we have a solid group of guy's coming back next year and hopefully with our performance here we will be able to convince several top recruits that Gonzaga isn't just a mid-major program. We are going elite. I am already looking forward to next year and for future years to come. I don't plan on making Spokane a quick stop, I am here for the long haul or until we bring home the hardware."

Last edited by Deuce2223; 03-08-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #69
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ4
I lost to UNC last night. By lost I mean at one point I was down 84-66 and I had the superior team. Feels good to see them lose to you.
It felt good to beat them. Even though they are still one of my favorite schools of all-time in college basketball, it was nice to finally get a win against them.

It's good to see you back on the boards. It's crazy to think that it was 7 years ago we all met and posted on the 2k boards. Those were some great times, I spent many of boring hours at work and reading everyones threads were such a great way to get through the day.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #70
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

END OF THE YEAR NEWS

TAMU PF F. Ruffin (25.8 PPG) was named National POY he was also the Big man of the Year

Arkansas State SR PR C. Huffman (26.1 PPG 9.3 RPG) was named Mid Major POY

Florida’s FR SG J. Morgan (13.8 PPG) was name FOY

Coach Roy Williams was named National COY.

COACHING CHANGES

Wisconsin B. Ryan retires they hire the Akron Coach

Tennessee fires B. Pearl and hires the Western Kentucky Coach

Nebraska fires D. Sadler and hires J. Flint from Drexel

Akron hires Oral Roberts K. Hunter

Drexel hires Binghamton’s K. Broadus

Pepperdine hires J.Corrigan from High Point after firing T. Ashbury

Pearl ends up at Binghamton replacing Broadus who left for Drexel

D. Sadler ends up at Stetson, their HC went to WKU.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:59 PM   #71
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

#1 RECRUIT GOES PICKS COACH FEW AND THE ORANGE!

5'11 PG Pedro Chambers from Grand Rapids Michigan spurned both Michigan and MSU and instead will join Coach Few at Syracuse. The 5* AA MR BB averaged 19.0 PPG along with a remarkable 9.0 RPG, with 5.5 APG and 3.3 SPG. He is a 35% 3pt shooter.

The #2 Overall and #2 PG 5* AA Mr BB R. Blankston from Chattanooga TN is heading to Florida.

5*AA and Mr BB from the state of California, 6'3 SG H. Callans is leaving the state to go to Arizona. He is the #3 Overall and #1 SG.

5'9 PG S. Monserez the 5* AA Mr BB from Bloomington IN is headed to Louisville.

6'6 SF B. Hartman the #5 Overall and #1 SF from Detroit MI has picked the MSU over Michigan. He is a 5* AA.

6'9 PF B Allen is a 5* AA Mr BB from Oklahoma City OK but is headed to Texas after picking the Longhorns over both the National Champ Cowboys and the Sooners. He is the #6 Overall and #1 PF.

4* Henry Christian the #55 Overall Player and #1 C in the class has turned down Gonzaga's offer and instead will head to Arizona State.

Christian wasn't the only big time player to spurn Coach Youngblood and the Zags's.

4* 6'6 PG G. Evans (#84/#34 PG) from Bellevue WA has picked the Oregon Ducks

and

4* 6'8 SF L. Barnard (#79/#10 SF) from Houston Texas is staying instate and heading to TAMU

Coach Youngblood
Quote:
"It's tough all 3 players were considered instant starters for next year's squad. We will need to add some guy's late in the process and other guy's already on the team will need to step up."

GONZAGA LANDS #49 OVERALL CLASS

With 4* 6'5 PG/SG Frank Mouton (#66 Overall/#30 PG) signed early, Coach Youngblood would go to Plan B when Christian and Evans signed else where, signing a pair of players from Salt Lake City Utah

7'1 Colin Kelly was a 3* C ranked (#389 Overall and the #32 C) in the class and he happened to be the teammate of 6'9 SF Mario Grizzard. Grizzard ranked as the #272 Overall was the #62 SF in the class and was Utah's Mr BB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #72
V*lSt*r

baccVols's Arena

OVR: 7

OUCH. tough way to finish the season but future looks bright for the Zags good luck next season!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »