Home

One Last Shot: Jordan's Final Chapter.

This is a discussion on One Last Shot: Jordan's Final Chapter. within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2018, 05:30 AM   #121
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

OVR: 19
Around the NBA - Round 1

Around the NBA - Round 1.

April 22nd, 2002 | by NBA.COM

Wizards vs Magic.
The Washington Wizards advanced to the second round of the playoffs in thrilling style. An epic Jordan vs T-Mac battled happened in round 1. Jordan goes for 25, T-Mac hits 30 plus, Jordan hits 30 plus, T-Mac hits 40 plus... No matter what Jordan hit, T-Mac scored more. The final difference was the supporting cast, Laettner and Rip Hamilton put up big numbers when it counted most, and the Magic just couldn't manage that. Penny Hardaway flirted with a triple - double every night, but didn't score enough. Horace Grant tore his achilles in the final regular season game. Grant's absence allowed Christian Laettner to dominate down low. Big win for the Wizards, but most games were extremely close, not as convincing a victory as it seems.

Nets vs Bucks.
Jason Kidd has finally regained his form. But he almost left it too late to beat the Bucks. Ray Allen almost willed the Buck the victory. 32 points in Game 1, 29 in Game 2 and 46 in Game 3 was enough to give the Bucks a 2-1 lead. But Kidd and K-Mart got the pick and roll going, and destroyed Anthony Mason down low. The Bucks biggest weakness all year is their lack of big men, and K-Mart and Todd MacCulloch dominated inside. The Nets tied the series 2-2 and Kidd took over in Game 5. 30 points, 12 rebounds and 13 assists. I wonder if the Suns regret that swap for Marbury now? Nets advance to face Jordan and the Wizards.

Celtics vs Hornets.
Boston has been a tough matchup for every team all season long. But with their youth comes inconsistency. Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker can hit over 30 points on any given night, but getting them both to produce on the same night is still a work in progress. The steady leadership from Kenny Andersen and recently acquired Charles Oakley helped steady the ship when the Hornets threatened to steal home court advantage. But neither team gave up home court, and the series finished 3-2. Baron Davis and Jamal Mashburn gave their all, but aging Elden Campbell at center got badly exposed. In fact the Hornets lack of depth got exposed this series. Charlotte got two final wins in 'The Hive' but the Hornets fly the nest next season to New Orleans. Boston advance barely, but they are capable of so much more.

Pacers vs Raptors.
The Pacers- Raptors series was a hard fought affair, with the more experienced Pacers edging it in the end. Reggie Miller hit the Raptors for 37 in the the elimination game, eclipsing Carters 36. Rashard Lewis battled Jalen Rose all series long too, averaging 19.8 points per game. The Pacers athletic big men proved too much for the elder statesman Olujawon and Antonio Davis. Jermaine O' Neal punished the Raps with averages of 25ppg and 15 rpg. Pacers advance despite Vince Carter hitting 43 and 41 in the Raptors two wins.

Lakers vs Jazz.
Out West we had some major shocks. The Jazz with Sprewell and Marcus Camby led 2-0 and forced Kobe and Shaq to come out all guns blazing. The Jazz had used suffocating defense in the first two games and the Lakers could not get the triangle to work. Kobe was sluggish and O'Neal was the only man scoring. But you can't keep a good player down, as Kobe hit over 30 ppg the final 3 games, as the Lakers dug deep and used their championship pedigree to reel off 3 wins in a row. Stockton and Malone don't have much left in the tank, and after blowing a 2-0 lead, maybe father time has also caught up with them now.

Trailblazers vs Mavericks.
The Mavericks have their own dynamic pick and roll duo in Nash and Nowitzki. They obliterated the Blazers and swept them in round one. The Blazers couldn't deal with the speed of the Mavs offense, pushed by Steve Nash and Michael Finley. Once the Mavs got rolling, Rasheed started fighting, Gary Payton started moaning and Dale Davis got ejected, again. Oh Rasheed got ejected too. Disaster for the Blazers and their monstrous salary cap. Shawn Kemp barely played and may now be bought out of his final year, but it might be time to move on from Rasheed and Pippen now. The Jailblazers have young big Randolph to build around. Mavericks took advantage of the in house fighting and advance.

Kings vs Nuggets.
The suprise package of the season? Denver Nuggets, led by Juwan Howard and Antonio McDyess. The Kings were heavy favorites heading into this one, but the Nuggets matched their style of play and high scoring incredibly well. Howard played essentially point forward as he initiated the offense regularily, allowing Tim Hardaway and Nick Van Exel to shoot and drive for the outside. A real counter to Chris Webber and Vlade Divac. In the end it was Mike Bibby who proved his worth, the Kings acquired him in October for Jason Williams, but Bibby has more of a killer instinct, and he torched Hardaway for 34 points in Game 5 to pull out the win. Expect the Kings to learn from this near death experience.

Timberwolves vs Spurs.
In the final game of the West we had a major shock. The #7 Seed San Antonio upset the #2 seed Minnesota. The Spurs had been really poor all season, with Rookie Tony Parker emerging, and dragging along the experienced Terry Porter, Steve Smith, Bruce Bowen and David Robinson. But experience counts as double in the playoffs. Kevin Garnett is nicknamed the Big Ticket, but he forgot to give his teammates some tickets for round two. Tied at two games each, Garnett took the battle to The Big Fundamental - Duncan, and lost. Although Garnett hit 30 plus and a 40 plus, Duncan's steady averages of 27ppg and 18 rpg won out in the end. The Wolves were outstanding all year moving the ball and shooting well, but this series was a disaster. Too much isolation. Expect big changes this offseason, they can't afford to lose promising guard Chauncey Billups, he's Garnett's best chance for long term winning.

Last edited by RMJH4; 08-01-2018 at 05:33 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2018, 07:21 AM   #122
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Charlotte should be granted Expansion Franchise.

Charlotte deserve expansion team.

April 23rd, 2002 | by NBCSPORTS.COM

What is different, one NBA owner thought this week, between what the Charlotte Hornets' ownership is doing to Charlotte and what Art Modell did to Cleveland?

Damn good question.

Which is why I believe the league should, after approving the Hornets' move to New Orleans grant Charlotte an expansion franchise.

I am not naïve enough to float such a proposal without trial-ballooning it past at least a few influential folks around the league. A lot of folks thought there was no chance the league would OK expansion, given that Charlotte doesn't have the history in basketball that the Browns, by way of comparison, had in the NFL. The league isn't especially interested in domestic expansion now; the next team added will likely need visas for their road trips. And there's no real desire to reward Charlotte, after all the bungling that has gone on there over the last couple of years, with a shiny new building and voracious new revenue streams.

I hear all of that.

I'd still put an expansion team in Charlotte.

And, boys and girls, more than one owner agrees with me.

This solves three problems. One, the new owners in Charlotte would not be George Shinn and Ray Wooldridge, the current owners, who will not have anything done for them by the city. Two, it would guarantee a new arena would get built in Charlotte with more of the luxury suites that every owner demands to have. Three, it would keep the league in a city that led the league in attendance eight years in a row during the '90s. And if former BET chair Bob Johnson, who put his name to a possible bid for the Hornets, was given an expansion team, it would provide a league already light years ahead of the other pro leagues when it comes to minority involvement with an African-American owner.

Shinn and Wooldridge are hated by the local populace in the Queen City to an extent you can't believe until you're down on the ground. I went down there earlier this month and I couldn't believe the antipathy for them.

The litany of where this hatred came from is laid out by local folk. The first sin mentioned by folks is the Hornets' trades of Alonzo Mourning, Larry Johnson and, perhaps most importantly, Muggsy Bogues, who had been one of the team's original players and its most beloved in the community. And each of those trades, along with the subsequent jettisoning of Glen Rice, led to the notion that the Hornets wouldn't pay top dollar for top players.

Second, Shinn bought out the local businessmen that had helped him finance the original expansion deal, creating bad feelings in the business community.

Third, Shinn was embroiled in his own personal troubles, including accusations of sexual harassment by several different women. He was ultimately acquitted of any wrongdoing, but the incidents stained his reputation.

Fourth, some Hornets players of more recent vintage were involved in embarrassing incidents. And tragically, Bobby Phills -- generally regarded as one of the league's best guys and good citizens -- was killed in January of 2000 after crashing his car just outside of the Coliseum while driving at excessive speed. The tragedy darkened the team's climate locally.

"Mayor Pat McCrory is more blunt.

"The current ownership team basically said 'eat my grits' to Charlotte," he says, "and that probably didn't sell a lot of tickets here in Charlotte."

For his part, McCrory says he and Shinn deserve some of the responsibility for what has happened in Charlotte. But not all of it.

"I think any time any situation fails, it meant someone did something wrong," he said recently. "But to say there are ill feelings about the franchise, that it's solely the blame of the owners ... I don't mean to be too strong here, but I find that to be absurd."

Charlotte's proposed arena deal would have put a new building downtown, where most of the politicians and business leaders want it. But it wouldn't provide naming rights or pouring rights revenues to the owners; that money would revert back to the three local companies who are, in essence, loaning the city $100 million to help with construction and other costs. And that made the deal, in Shinn's eyes, a non-starter.

"The numbers are the numbers," Shinn says. "They add a certain way. This does not work. It falls dramatically short of the revenues necessary for our ownership or any ownership to operate a franchise in Charlotte profitably."

Shinn says he put "in the range of six or seven million dollars" toward efforts to get an arena built in Charlotte. Inexpicably, just when it seemed the two sides were close to an agreement on a new building, the political leadership in Charlotte decided to put the matter to a public referendum in June of last year instead of hammering out a deal. Local cynics point out that many of Charlotte's city council members were up for re-election and didn't want to have an arena vote on their records.

When the referendum was bundled to other, less pleasant legislation, it was torpedoed by voters 57 percent to 43.

"So our choice was pretty well made for us at that point," Shinn says now. "We made a subsequent attempt to re-engage with the community, and were given the same answer. So at that point, we accelerated our plans to move to our alternatives and that's resulted in a move to New Orlenans."

McCrory says the new arena proposal was "exactly what they (Shinn and Wooldridge) asked for two years ago. The current NBA ownership team said they needed an arena with suites which would help them pay their bills. We are now building an arena with suites ... everything they've asked for we have basically offered them but we have to stay within the financial ramifications of what we can afford, especially during tough economic times."

Which means Shinn and Wooldridge couldn't get their hands on that juicy naming and pouring rights loot. And they'd have to keep playing in Charlotte Coliseum, where they claim annual losses of $15 million to $20 million, for at least two years while the new arena is built. That was a no go for them in the end.

Now though, Charlotte wants one more shot at presenting its proposal. This time it will be to a prospective new owner of an expansion franchise.

"It's very difficult, when you're in negotiations, for people not to choose sides. But again, the contracts that had been negotiated this past year, had been passed on and deemed as being fair by the NBA Board of Governors. So I think we all have to share the blame. But it's water under the bridge. The decisions have been made. And the franchise is moving to New Orleans. We need to get a team back in Charlotte and we are trying to pursue that with David Stern and the NBA."

There are still a lot of owners who have their doubts. This is by no means a done deal. But when the Hornets do leave now, the commish could ease some of Charlotte's pain. He should keep Charlotte in the game by making them whole again. The earliest a new team could enter the League is in time for the 2003-04 season, but Charlotte would need an ownership team in place very soon. It is more likely that a team would start in time for the 2004-05 season. If, Stern grants them a team that is.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #123
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Charlotte should be granted Expansion Franchise.

Great recap on the playoffs, exciting times in both brackets -- the semis are going to be LIT.

As for Charlotte, hopefully they get an expansion team ... though perhaps not the Bobcats (awful as they were). Let's hope in this reality Charlotte gets a team that isn't terrible for many, many years.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:28 PM   #124
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

Re: Charlotte should be granted Expansion Franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
Great recap on
As for Charlotte, hopefully they get an expansion team ... though perhaps not the Bobcats (awful as they were). Let's hope in this reality Charlotte gets a team that isn't terrible for many, many years.
Hey man, atleast we had Gerald Wallace...
Old 08-01-2018, 01:43 PM   #125
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

Re: One Last Shot: Jordan's Final Chapter.

Sorry if this was asked before but how do you plan on doing free agency. Will you mainly stick to the actual moves that happened or do you plan on doing what you think the teams should of done
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2018, 01:54 PM   #126
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
Great recap on the playoffs, exciting times in both brackets -- the semis are going to be LIT.

Yep just need to get some time to play them, heading away for few days holidays with the fam. But excited to play the Nets!

Some good storylines to come about Charlotte in the offseason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolePlayer
Hey man, atleast we had Gerald Wallace...
Crash! One of the few highlights of the Bobcats years!!

Quote:
Sorry if this was asked before but how do you plan on doing free agency. Will you mainly stick to the actual moves that happened or do you plan on doing what you think the teams should of done

Doing what I think they should have, want to balance out the power a little, maybe awaken some sleeping giants..

Any signing I make will be in line with the contracts they received at the time, just maybe to a different team. I've done a lot of research of transactions from 01-04 so I will use some but others will be a mix of rumors and my own preferences for storylines!
Old 08-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #127
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

Maybe see what would’ve happened if Tim Duncan signed with Orlando and T-Mac. He apparently had all but signed then Doc messed it up

Also do you know why I got pulled out the entire 4th quarter on my kevin love player lock. I was having a great game and we were down like 7 to the Celtics but then I never got put back in

My only idea is I forgot to turn on auto subs so I had played the entire first quarter eating up most the minutes I was supposed to play

Last edited by RolePlayer; 08-01-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:31 PM   #128
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Quote:
Maybe see what would’ve happened if Tim Duncan signed with Orlando and T-Mac. He apparently had all but signed then Doc messed it up

Also do you know why I got pulled out the entire 4th quarter on my kevin love player lock. I was having a great game and we were down like 7 to the Celtics but then I never got put back in

My only idea is I forgot to turn on auto subs so I had played the entire first quarter eating up most the minutes I was supposed to play
Yea Doc messed that up alright!

Check in coaching sliders in myleague main menu under performance factors make sure its set to like 90 percent like mine. Rotations can be awful sometimes and I end up subbing myself back in, but with adjusting coaching sliders it generally works out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »