Home

NBA2K Remix: Retro Stars in the Modern Era

This is a discussion on NBA2K Remix: Retro Stars in the Modern Era within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #17
炭治郎

kibaxx7's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA2K Remix: Retro Stars in the Modern Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
I mean, when WAS the last time a white guy was taken first in the draft? I can't even name who that is, Bird himself was taken 6th overall IRL back in 78.

Bargnani comes to mind?
Signs (2002), The Other (1972), Ferrari (2023) ×
Old 03-25-2020, 10:50 PM   #18
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderxx7
Bargnani comes to mind?

You are 100% right, Bargnani did go #1 in 2006, the year before Bogut went #1 in 2005 -- completely forgot about that.

It feels like another life ago with all the ways the world and NBA has changed ... Bargs was not a great pick, Bogut was injury prone.

Yesh, let's hope Larry Bird pans out better than that! The modern league lends itself more to Magic then Larry at this point, we'll see how their careers shake out -- I figure Magic will have better numbers but Larry won't be far behind.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #19
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

OVR: 19

Bill Laimbeer is a steal for the Rockets!! 2K Historic draft classes are really incredibly poor. At most there is 4-5 real players in the drafts from 70s - 80s from what I've seen. I know there are licensing issues but it takes away from people like us really making insanely deep retro myleagues. Any draft I include I always try to add as many created players in there as possible, but we shouldn't have to.

If the virtual Bird is anything like the real Bird, there is no way in hell he won't prove himself to be a worthy #1 pick. Magic is the one guy that can challenge him though.

You can see how the dynamic of the NBA has changed if you look at the top guys in each historic draft. I did quite a bit of reading through past drafts when setting up my roster and you can see the dominant guys positions changing in each era!
Old 03-26-2020, 08:23 AM   #20
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboh
Bill Laimbeer is a steal for the Rockets!! 2K Historic draft classes are really incredibly poor. At most there is 4-5 real players in the drafts from 70s - 80s from what I've seen. I know there are licensing issues but it takes away from people like us really making insanely deep retro myleagues. Any draft I include I always try to add as many created players in there as possible, but we shouldn't have to.

If the virtual Bird is anything like the real Bird, there is no way in hell he won't prove himself to be a worthy #1 pick. Magic is the one guy that can challenge him though.

You can see how the dynamic of the NBA has changed if you look at the top guys in each historic draft. I did quite a bit of reading through past drafts when setting up my roster and you can see the dominant guys positions changing in each era!

Yeah, 2Ks historic classes are rough -- Laimbeer was a pleasant surprise, I wasn't sure he was in there and him being on the Rockets makes him a natural rival to Bird here.

This particular class had about 10ish real guys, some I didn't even know about (Johnny Moore, for instance, actually played for the Spurs IRL before an illness ended his career, his 00 number is retired for them -- never had heard of him before this). So they do sneak some nice nods to guys in there, but overall the historic classes will be very much like you describe -- piecemeal.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #21
Pro

dfsJunkie's Arena

Boy, the theme of the night was definitely returning to former teams.. DeRozan, Rudy, and Rubio all going back to former teams.

I second what everyone else is say, rough historic draft class by 2k. I think the closer you get to modern day, the better they get. Then again, I only know a few names from this class, so I'll be eagerly waiting for you to get to the 90s and 00s eventually.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2020, 10:07 AM   #22
Coach Porter Davis

djp73's Arena

OVR: 7

Bummer you lost the last one but this looks like a lot of fun too
Old 03-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #23
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfsJunkie
Boy, the theme of the night was definitely returning to former teams.. DeRozan, Rudy, and Rubio all going back to former teams.

I second what everyone else is say, rough historic draft class by 2k. I think the closer you get to modern day, the better they get. Then again, I only know a few names from this class, so I'll be eagerly waiting for you to get to the 90s and 00s eventually.

They are -- I think their logic was very much "let's get the guys everyone has definitely heard of" and that would follow with Bird, Magic, Laimbeer, Moncrief ... Johnny Moore I didn't know, neither did I know Kyle Macy (also a retro dude), or James Donaldson. There are actually a few who weren't picked at all and are free agents, but definite end of bench guys right now.

As we progress further up -- especially once we hit 84 and beyond -- we'll start seeing a lot more guys we know. I still haven't decided if I want to throw 96 right after 84 (a league with Jordan and Kobe in it, at once, in their primes, may be insane in too many ways, lol) but this is all an exercise in fun and fantasy, so we'll see. I don't mind skipping around at all -- there are some 70s guys I would like to bring forward too who would be really fun in this league (Marvin "Bad News" Barnes comes to mind).

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp73
Bummer you lost the last one but this looks like a lot of fun too

Yeah, I'm excited for this one -- we're going to be getting a lot of good storylines here between Bird/Magic, the final years of LeBron, Giannis' ascension, Simmons/Embiid and the 76ers (can they make that work?), Boston's young core, the Clippers ... we're loaded with narratives. Should be fun.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #24
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

League looks like a lot of fun but also looks like my Hornets will still suck so theres that

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »