Home

NBA2K Remix: Retro Stars in the Modern Era

This is a discussion on NBA2K Remix: Retro Stars in the Modern Era within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0
NBA2K Remix: Retro Stars in the Modern Era

System/Game: PC/NBA 2K20
Mode: MyLeague
Rosters: Official 2K (as of March 20th, 2020)
Sliders: Shady Mike’s with slight adjustments to progression and major adjustment to contracts (I prefer a sane contract level in the league, circa 2015/16 or so) -- injury frequency set to 34, severity to 35. Will adjust as needed.

Quarter Length: 10 Minutes
Sim Quarter Length: 12 Minutes

Sim NormalIzed Minutes: On

This was done simply because, in playing this game for weeks at a time, I found my pace really was high and I put ALOT of points on the board. I don’t mind that at all aesthetically, but I wanted some tense defensive battles mixed in there as well and I found that 8 minutes or so really is a sweet spot — might bump that slightly down or up depending on things going forward.

Draft Class:

I’m doing something new for me this year, we’re taking this league into a wacky direction — we’re going to be using historic draft classes, starting with Bird/Magic in 1979. I will taking over whichever team lands on Bird; normally I’d run with a guard (personally, my playstyle suffers some having to go through a non-LeBron wing, lol) but this time I’m going Bird to do something different and try to build a successful modern squad around him.

Future draft classes will also be historically based — we started with 79 and we’ll make our way up the classes from there (so 80, 81, 82, 83, 84— Jordan baby — are down the line). This will aid in keeping the league interesting, while also adding in future challenges; once Jordan gets here, things could go VASTLY different than I (or anyone) expects.

After 84 I may dive back and bring forward Wilt/Russell, or even older legends (Could Mikan still function in today’s league?), or grab the 96 class (Jordan and Kobe playing against one another for most of their careers sounds very appealing — or perhaps joining forces …). It’s up in the air, but I wanted to establish the league off the 79-84 classes first. We’ll see what happens.

I expect Bird and Magic will keep both their teams competitive, so they won’t end up tanking for super-good draft picks (unless they get injured, sim gods be kind). We’ll have to see if their front offices can manage trades to snag some future picks, an underrated part of their NBA careers is how shrewd those Lakers/Celtics front offices were.

Season Length: 82 Games
Regular Season Rules: 20-24 played, rest simmed.
Playoff Rules: 2 playoff games (randomly determined by number generator, one must be in first four games) per series.

2 games allowed in NBA Finals (randomly determined by number generator, one must be in first four games)

Playoff Format: 7-7-7-7
Injuries: On (Frequency for both CPU and User at 34, effects at 35)
Progressive Fatigue: Off (seems to be too much this year, so I've taken it off -- with chemistry and injuries still on, I anticipate the league will be fine, but will adjust accordingly as we go).
Team Chemistry: On

Chemistry effects, for both the team and player morale, are turned WAY down. They really made it hard to keep a whole happy team this year at the default settings.

CPU Trades: Off
CPU Trade Approval: Off
Trade Override: Off
Control: 30 Teams, CPU automation for lineup/coaching tasks on every team but my primary; total control otherwise (roster moves, drafting, free agency, etc). No one goes to the G-League, as that place ups the the overalls of players far too fast.

Welcome to my newest dynasty thread! My last one, NBA 2K Retro: An Alternate New Millennium was great fun until I stupidly deleted the file and ruined weeks of work … *sigh*

HOWEVER, this has allowed me to pursue another idea; taking a second crack at my Rebirth concept from last year (retro legends re-enter the modern league), we’re doing that again this year but with some notable differences:

1. We’re not combining them all into one class, avoiding the league being flooded with talent.

2. We’re not combining them with future classes, like 2020 or some such. We’ll be using the 2K provided historical classes, with some edits by me to help the legends play in a more modern game. Notably, better durability (because we’re here to see these guys play, not get injured all the time), younger ages (18-20, so they’re like modern prospects in that respect), and slight bumps to 3pt shot and conditioning (like 5-10, max, some of the players 2K has rated like they’re trying to get down the court on one leg with an anchor tied to them).

3. We’ll be following the careers of these guys on whatever squads they end up on — primarily, I’ll be following Bird (and by extension Magic), as we’ll be catching up with them, but as some of the notable retro guys make their way into the starting lineup, we’ll take a peak at them. 2Ks historic classes aren’t anywhere close to complete, so if there’s a guy you want me to look at (or otherwise attempt to create/find/add into the draft classes), let me know.

Bird and Magic (and by extension the other retro legends) will also have the ability to fully embrace free agency — losing situations likely won’t be tolerated, so if their teams can’t win, we could see them on the move joining new squads or perhaps each other (prime Bird and Magic on the same team? It could happen depending on how things go).

4. There’s no “oh, super cool treatment makes people younger” story here: the story is the NBA itself (there will be many articles, I’ve got some nice one at the ready), these historic classes are just another group of kids to the NBA with a lot of expectations on them. We know how their careers played out in the first go around, now we can see how it plays out in the modern day (Magic versus Lonzo? Bird versus LeBron? Yes, please).

All that said, we begin in the summer of 2020, right after the Finals — a recap of that is right after this.

As always, any and all comments are welcome. I hope you guys enjoy.

Last edited by trekfan; 03-29-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2020, 10:06 AM   #2
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Re: NBA2K Remix: Retro Stars in the Modern Era

The High Post: 2019-20 Recap
By Sam Gray

Awards:

Final Standings:

Retirements:

Rule Change:

The NBA has decided to scrap conferences in the playoffs and go to a 1-16 format — the best teams will reach the Finals, regardless of what conference they play in, and each conference will get 8 teams. It marks a major change to how the NBA has done its playoff format in the past, but the league is moving forward and introducing some much needed variety (and strategy) into the playoffs — now every round won’t feel like a long wait to the Finals, every round will mean something more.

The Lottery:

The Knicks had the greatest odds of the #1 overall pick and the basketball Gods punished them for their many transgressions (not the least of which is that whole mess with Spike Lee — the dude just wants to come in through the same door as he always has, come on man) as New York once more misses out on the top pick.

It has to watch the Spurs grab the first overall pick (for the third time, San Antonio being awful happens once a generation and they get a number one pick at about that rate) and the Suns land number two. Who the Spurs will be taking isn’t a mystery to many in the NBA as they’ve had their eye on Larry Bird.

Gregg Poppovich is still mulling whether he’ll retire from coaching or not, but with a chance to coach Bird, why not sign up for another tour?

For Phoenix, the one position they’ve tried (and failed, and failed, and failed, and failed) to solve has been point guard; the Suns traded Steve Nash and the basketball Gods have made any point guard after him be on Phoenix for a short time. The Suns now have a chance to pair Magic Johnson with Booker and Ayton, in a no-brainer move even they couldn’t screw up.

The only question is where Rubio ends up because Phoenix don’t need him any more. I hear Miami is nice this time of year.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:42 AM   #3
Pro

dfsJunkie's Arena

Ohhhh this is interesting. I thought Bird was actually drafted a year before Magic, so I'm curious what the draft class looks like?

The Knicks won't catch a break until Dolan sells the team lol
Old 03-25-2020, 10:43 AM   #4
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

You're back quickly! I thought it'd be a month for you to prep new content Looking forward to the craziness that happens here.

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:26 AM   #5
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfsJunkie
Ohhhh this is interesting. I thought Bird was actually drafted a year before Magic, so I'm curious what the draft class looks like?

The Knicks won't catch a break until Dolan sells the team lol

He was drafted in 1978 technically but didn't play till 1979 (he stayed for his final year in college). Since Bird and Magic played in the same rookie season, I just added Bird into the 1979 draft. A creative liberty but one I feel is warranted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studbucket
You're back quickly! I thought it'd be a month for you to prep new content Looking forward to the craziness that happens here.

Yes, I am, I spent a lot of time yesterday setting up this (global pandemics leave me with so much time now) and I'm in the 2020 offseason. I'm just going to keep posting as I go along (so as not to get too far ahead), so this thread will be updated as I move forward.

Lots of fun to be had -- the draft went well (that write up coming later) and I'm in free agency now, plotting out where the various people are going. Nothing too crazy so far, though some notable veterans have new (if temporary) homes.

I'll be taking command of the Spurs, as they've landed Bird, so I've got some moves plotted out for them.

Stay tuned.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2020, 11:30 AM   #6
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
I'll be taking command of the Spurs, as they've landed Bird, so I've got some moves plotted out for them.

My 1979 NBA landscape is a bit rusty...but is Ice Man on that Spurs team? Because Ice Man + Bird = WOW.

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #7
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by studbucket
My 1979 NBA landscape is a bit rusty...but is Ice Man on that Spurs team? Because Ice Man + Bird = WOW.

Retro Stars + Modern Era, so no Gervin or anyone else from the late 70s are currently in the league (though I may import their draft classes down the line).

I'm taking those retro draft classes and using them with current day rosters -- so Bird will be teaming up (potentially) with Aldridge, DeRozan, Patty Mills, etc currently on the Spurs.

Magic will be teaming up with Ayton and Booker (scary) on the Suns. We'll be seeing how these retro stars adapt to the modern teams and their modern ways, but I expect many will do well.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #8
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

The High Post: Pop Heads Upstairs
By Sam Gray

The San Antonio Spurs — one of the most consistent, established franchises in the history of all sports (not just the NBA) — has watched as key pieces of the Spurs continued success leave the organization. First it was Duncan, then Manu, then Parker, then Leonard (whom will likely always be viewed with mixed emotions by the Spurs faithful), and now the last piece has moved on up to the executive suite.

Gregg Popovich is stepping down as head coach of the Spurs, effective immediately.

I’m too old to keep up with the travel and the schedule,” said Pop at his retirement press conference — flanked by Spurs ownership and past players. “This year was a tough year for everyone here and it was time for me to go; we need fresh ideas and fresh blood.”

The Spurs won’t be totally rid of Pop however; he won’t be stalking the sidelines of the court anymore, but he’ll still maintain his role as president. “Consider me like a professor emeritus, except I’ll actually work,” joked Pop.

The Spurs didn’t waste time conducting a coaching search or even entertaining one; Popovich already knew his replacement and it wasn’t a name many thought about.

I’d like to introduce the new head coach of the Spurs — hopefully for a long time — Jamal Vanderbilt.”

The slim cut Jamal Vanderbilt is a player development coach and one of the Spurs key assistants, and has been for many years, but few pegged him as the successor to Pop.

Obviously, I can’t replace Gregg Popovich. No one can,” Vanderbilt stated. “What I aim to bring is the same level of passion, professionalism, and consistency as Pop. I don’t take this duty lightly and I don’t believe it will be easy. We missed the playoffs for the first time in over 23 years and we have a good pick in the draft. The table is set for us to do big things this offseason to get this organization back on course.”

Names such as Tim Duncan and Becky Hammon were batted around for the HC position, but ultimately Pop and the Spurs brain trust settled on Vanderbilt.

We considered and spoke with many candidates internally, we wanted to allow for all possibilities, but JV was my gut feeling,” said Pop.

Jamal Vanderbilt first came to the Spurs 13 years ago as and undrafted rookie who landed a one year deal with San Antonio — he blew out his knee in the preseason, ending his career, but the Spurs honored the contract and let him finish the year with them.

I spent a lot of time rehabbing, watching film … with my knee gone, I needed a direction and Pop was good enough to give me a chance,” said Vanderbilt. “He helped me find a second career and I’ve been here ever since, working different jobs, whatever is asked of me. It’s helped give me a great sense of what everyone’s job is and how to approach things.”

Hammon and Duncan will both stay on, Duncan as lead assistant coach (he reportedly turned down the head coaching job, not feeing ready for it), and Hammon as what Popovich describes as “Vice President of Basketball Operations — she gets to do the hard work when I’m too busy sipping wine”, a promotion for both.

Vanderbilt, Duncan, Popovich, and Hammon will form one of the more enviable brain trusts in the NBA.

I think we’ll be fine,” said Popovich. “We’ve got a good group of people here, a good amount of experience, and after this last year … well, we can only go up from here.”

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »