Home

NBA2K Remix: Retro Stars in the Modern Era

This is a discussion on NBA2K Remix: Retro Stars in the Modern Era within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2020, 12:00 PM   #9
炭治郎

kibaxx7's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA2K Remix: Retro Stars in the Modern Era

Good luck trek. MJ's Bulls made me like basketball, but then it was Manu's Spurs who made me really love it. When Manu retired, I felt like I had to start supporting another team. Hopefully you can guide them back to the top.
Signs (2002), The Other (1972), Ferrari (2023) ×
Old 03-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #10
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderxx7
Good luck trek. MJ's Bulls made me like basketball, but then it was Manu's Spurs who made me really love it. When Manu retired, I felt like I had to start supporting another team. Hopefully you can guide them back to the top.

I caught the tale end of Jordan as a kid (SpaceJam was my intro to him and the 1997-98 seasons are fondly remembered), the early 2000s were really when I got into the league.

But, historically, the modern NBA first came into the nation's consciousness when Bird and Magic got there; with everything on hiatus and everyone stuck inside, I've had time to go back and watch some of those Bird/Magic duels, plus other games (the NBA's classic game library is woefully limited, but Youtube has plenty of old footage).

I was amazed at how damned good those two were, playing in a league that hadn't quite grown comfortable with the three point shot, but you could see flashes of the future in Magic's team (Seven second or less), Bird's (a very Spursian Beautiful game with all the passing on that team), and I became really intrigued at the idea of importing those two (and other classic stars) into the modern league.

Bird is a classic Spurs player, IMO; not super athletic (but sneaky athletic), very smart, quick thinker, lightning reflexes, and someone who just loves basketball and the fundamentals of it. I think he's going to fit in well.

The Spurs, as an organization, I have always stayed away from in 2K (boring uniforms, usually really consistent for a long time) but with the IRL Spurs definitely not making the playoffs this year (even if the NBA was playing), I figured now would be a good time to jump in with a changing of the guard.

I've also modded in some fun alternate uniforms (one in particular I absolutely love), to freshen up their look a bit. I won't be rebanding anyone (I'm on PC, I can just mod them easier) and I'll probably stay away from expansion teams (I just don't care to keep up with them).

Last edited by trekfan; 03-25-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #11
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

OVR: 19

Typical darn Knicks, #1 odds and end up picking #5!! Like the Idea of Larry with the Spurs though, suits him quite well personality wise. Pop would be crazy to leave now! He will sit back in his chair upstairs a bit like Riley did with Spoelstra, I have a feeling this is not the last we see of him on the sidelines!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2020, 03:39 PM   #12
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaboh
Typical darn Knicks, #1 odds and end up picking #5!! Like the Idea of Larry with the Spurs though, suits him quite well personality wise. Pop would be crazy to leave now! He will sit back in his chair upstairs a bit like Riley did with Spoelstra, I have a feeling this is not the last we see of him on the sidelines!!

Maybe -- Pop could make a power play and come back, but I feel like he's ready to pass the torch. I see him less like Riley and more like Red Auerbach with the Celtics; he's plenty happy to step downstairs and offer advice to whomever needs it, but he wants to take on the challenge of running the organization from on high.

We'll see if Pop is as shrewd in the front office as he was on the sidelines.

And yeah, the Knicks luck is straight bad -- I tried to help them in free agency but there wasn't a lot of good fits, so New York will be punting again. Their draft pick at that spot isn't bad though. Draft recap to come soon.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:14 PM   #13
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

The High Post: 2020 NBA Draft Recap
By Sam Gray

Like other draft nights, 2020 was a wacky and wild affair — filled with as many boos as cheers, the NBA’s faithful welcomed in a new class of players to join the NBA family. But before we talk about the new family members, let’s talk about old ones that decided to move away after getting in a drunken argument with your aunt at Thanksgiving and accusing her of being an exotic dancer in a past life.

Let’s talk about the guys who got traded by teams who claimed they wanted them.

So long DeMar and welcome back DeMar! DeRozan and the Spurs have spent the last two years together as jilted lovers; San Antonio lost Kawhi and sent him as far away as possible (Canada), DeMar watched the team and city he loved ship him to Texas. Both the Spurs and DeRozan watched as Kawhi led Toronto to a title, then come back down south to do the same with the Clippers, and it was time for their rebound relationship to come to an end.

The Spurs trade DeRozan back home — the only place he would agree to a contract extension with — and the Raptors welcomed him back with open arms, realizing they traded a longterm love for short-term gratification … though they’d do it 100 times out of 100 because RINGZ. The Raptors sent away Anunoby and Normal Powell, plus a 2nd (they reportedly wouldn’t offer a 1st) for DeRozan and young Derrick White. The Spurs free up cap space and have a classic 3-D wing in OG, whom they plan to start at SG. Powell will be that classic Spurs microwave scorer off the bench and spot starter.

Toronto gets back DeRozan, who will instantly provide them with a scoring upgrade at SF and Derrick White isn’t a bad player at all — he should fit in just fine in Toronto, especially playing next to a more accomplished backcourt mate in Kyle Lowry.

The Spurs weren’t done yet either — Rudy Gay got the “go home, it’s over” treatment as well as the Spurs sent him back to Memphis to provide that young team with a veteran presence off the bench (and on an expiring deal to boot). The Spurs shipped off Lonnie Walker to do it (a prospect who hasn’t seen much playtime in SA and likely would be a distraction, what with his tall hair blocking the view of the court for the people directly behind the bench).

In return, Memphis ships off a lightly protected 2022 1st round pick (the Grizzlies are betting they’re not far away from playoff contention and the Spurs are betting they are) and Winslow, who wasn’t bad off their bench last year but whom definitely wanted a bigger role than what Memphis was asking — in SA, he has a good shot of getting that role.

The Grizzlies sent off Grayson Allen (he tripped three people leaving the team) to the Bucks (way against the cap) for DJ Wilson (hold that towel and get me a Gatorade) and a 2021 2nd rounder; Allen will at least have a chance at being useful in Milwaukee.

Buyer’s remorse set in for the Suns, Jazz, and 76ers after last year’s free agency and so all three teams decided to trade each other the things they didn’t like anymore. Utah unloaded Mike Conley (and his ugly one year deal) to Philly and got back Rubio (who fit in much better with the Jazz than Conley ever did). In return, the Suns received Al Horford (and his bloated remaining 3yrs on his deal) and prospect Zhaire Smith (someone Phoenix very much wanted). The Suns have the money to blow and Horford will be an upgrade at the PF spot, better than any they could have gotten in free agency really; it’s a steep contract but it will in its final year in two years, so Phoenix may be able to flip Horford again.

Finally, the T’Wolves unclogged some of their wing depth and sent Josh Okogie to the Rockets for Bruno Caboclo (two years away from being a solid backup), and two unprotected 2nd rounders. Houston desperately needed some youth and could fit Okogie into their overclogged cap sheet (that Eric Gordon deal looks ROUGH), whereas the T’Wolves get rid of a player who wasn’t playing well for them (Okogie shot only 37% last year) and was likely going to see even less of a role next season.

And now, the draft. At the top was Bird and only ever was Bird — years from now, there will be a debate on whether Larry Bird really deserved that top spot. After all, when was the last time a white player was taken first? It’s just unheard of in the modern NBA, but San Antonio made the call when they won that pick on lottery night and didn’t falter in their conviction. Bird will instantly be their starting SF and should provide them with the ability run some interesting small-ball lineups, if they want to play him at the PF spot.

2nd overall the Suns made the no-brainer move of taking Magic Johnson. A 6’9” PG, he’s Ben Simmons except he can score from anywhere on the court and isn’t allergic to shooting from beyond the arc (but he’s very shaky from there, but very shaky is a thousand times better than Simmons). Johnson will instantly raise the Suns’ ceiling at all levels and should make the life of Booker, Oubre, Horford, and Ayton a lot easier. The Suns could make the playoffs and more this upcoming season if Johnson is as good as billed.

3rd overall, the Jazz -- Utah could have gone a couple different ways with this pick, but they choose to pick SF Murray Pittman from Xavier. Pittman had a fantastic March Madness and that’s where he first burst onto the scene — a wing who can score inside just as easily as he can shoot threes, he’s expected to be a big contributor for the Jazz in year one and may even wind up starting. After Utah finished last year with only 36 wins, a fresh infusion of youth and athleticism is exactly what they need to get back into the revamped 1-16 postseason.

4th, the Hawks take Sidney Moncrief to pair with Trae Young. Moncrief is an absolute thief, the man has never met a pass he didn’t mind stealing away, and he pairs those quick hands with an even quicker shot. The Hawks have assembled an undersized backcourt, but they’re betting that Moncrief can help hide some of Young’s defensive shortcomings while also giving ATL a good dose of offense; that’s a good bet.

5th overall, the Knicks select Johnny Moore from Texas. Moore is 6’4”, could play either guard spot, and the man knows how to pass. Possibly the second best passer in this draft as a guard (though probably a distant third overall between Bird and Magic), Moore looks to set up his teammates first and then take shots second; in New York, that should help the Knicks who have a lot of mouths to feed but not a lot of guys to set up others. Moore may be called upon to score more (ha!) than he usually does, but he should be capable of an increased scoring load if New York calls upon him.

6th overall, the Pistons find their longterm replacement for Andre Drummond who’s the opposite of Drummond — this kids shoots threes and does so at a good clip. Zach Morgan is a stretch five who should open up Detroit’s monolithic-era offense and give the Pistons a glimpse of the future. Morgan may end up starting this year if Detroit fails to find a veteran placeholder in free agency, but he should be the first building block of Detroit’s next great team … which will be after Rose and Griffin leave in free agency, so either a year or two down the road.

7th overall, the Bulls take SF Shawn Justice; “Justice arrives in Chicago this fall” said the Bulls twitter and they’re not wrong (odds of CBS starting a new Chicago based show off this are 350 to 1 in Vegas, but that could improve by the time the season starts). Justice’s defense may allow him to see minutes sooner than many think and he’ll first have to beat out the Bulls 2018 SF pick, Chandler Hutchinson, for minutes (not hard based on Hutchinson’s poor shooting year last season of 38% from the field).

8th overall, the Pelicans may need an intervention; NOLA selected another undersized SG in Vinnie “Microwave” Johnson — standing only 6’2”, he joins Jrue Holiday and JJ Redick on that roster and logic dictates that one of Redick or Holiday will be shipped off sometime soon or at the deadline, so Vinnie will be holding steady on the bench till then. Not a bad pick longterm for NOLA, but certainly one that doesn’t help them immediately.

9th, overall came the Pacers; Indiana just couldn’t overcome injuries to Oladpio or their mismashed roster, and they were rewarded with this pick. They chose Francis Frazier out of Notre Dame, a local favorite and a very tall 6’10” shooter who excels from deep. Frazier isn’t exactly known for his defense, but he has ability there (small ability) and could crack the Pacers rotation this year.

10th were the Hornets, who watched as Kemba and Boston made the playoffs; their year was awful by comparison. In need of many things across the roster, the Hornets took C Bill Cartwright. Cartwright already looks like he’s 40 (playing in San Francisco does that to a person, apparently) and his game is definitely old-school; likely why Jordan and Kupchak gravitated towards him. Cartwright may not see much time off the bench this year, but he’s primed to assume the starting role next season when Cody Zeller is a free agent (and likely to leave Charlotte).

At 11, the T’Wolves select Jim Paxton. Besides possessing one of the best hairlines in NBA history (look at it, it’s free flowing), Paxton is a guy who can get inside and get buckets; he doesn’t look fast, but he’s actually one of the better athletes in this draft and can play 1-3 depending on the matchup. For Minnesota, he’ll fill in a need of a creator off the bench and is likely coming for Malik Beasley’s job (Beasley is a RFA this summer and isn’t particularly happy in Minnesota, so odds are decent he just accepts the QO and becomes a UFA next summer).

At 12, the Cavaliers select a tall, defensive minded center in James Donaldson; Cleveland may need an intervention too. Though the Cavs already have Drummond (he’s already picked up his player option, so he’s on the roster this year), they went for a younger player who has amazing defensive ability and isn’t a shabby scorer either. At 7’2” and with one of the best beards in the NBA already, Donaldson could be Cleveland’s future at the five once Drummond leaves next summer.

At 13, the Kings select Homer Gordon. Sacramento was in need of a younger wing to take Harrison Barnes place in a few years (or sooner if they can find someone to unload him on) and Gordon can do at least as much as Barnes; he’s got a good three point shot and plays passable defense — the Kings will need to develop him on that end if he’s going to a starter for them, but that’s not a tall ask.

At 14, the Grizzlies add to their young core with Coby Patton. Patton is a lock down defender in a classic 3-D variety — he’s not a take charge scorer, but he does a really good job of playing his role and should allow the Grizzlies offense to run through their big guns in Morant and Jaren Jackson.

At 15, the Heat select PF Nihat “Kermit” Kerimoglu — he’s not a well known name but Miami believes he can be a valuable piece to their squad going forward. Kermit is a proficient shooter from mid-range and three, plays a little defense, and otherwise has room to grow. Considering how good Miami’s development program is, this guy could be a steal in a few years.

Two interesting picks here: at 16 the Wizards take Kyle Macy. Macy has one of the best three point shots in the draft and could end up being John Wall’s replacement (assuming Wall ever leaves Washington, the Wizards seem content to pay him forever it seems).

The Rockets selected C Bill Laimbeer at 19 — Laimbeer is a defensive big who can stretch the floor, he prefers to bang in the post (and take off heads with hard fouls) but his long-range shot has developed quite nicely in his time in college. He’s not a small-ball center that the Rockets normally covet, but after getting handled in last year’s playoffs by the Clippers, Houston opted for a big they thought could hang with LAC.

At 22, the Nuggets select SG Jonathon Price; Price is a likely replacement for Gary Harris in two years time, when is big contract (which he hasn’t really played up to) is up. Price can work the mid-range and the three easily, so he should slide into Harris’ role with ease. Until then, he’s here to study up and get better.

Towards the end of the first round the 76ers took Taylor Battle — besides having a cool name, Battle is the guy the 76ers expect will replace Mike Conley (gone next summer in all likelihood) off the bench next year. Battle likely won’t see any time this year, but he could develop into a key rotation piece for Philly for the future — and for the cash strapped 76ers, any cheap rotation piece is welcome.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:47 PM   #14
炭治郎

kibaxx7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
After all, when was the last time a white player was taken first?

Not a fan of trading away DeMar but OG will definitely help.
Signs (2002), The Other (1972), Ferrari (2023) ×
Old 03-25-2020, 08:30 PM   #15
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderxx7
[/size][/font]

Not a fan of trading away DeMar but OG will definitely help.

I sent DeMar back to Toronto on purpose -- that man didn't deserve to be traded by the Raptors, they won a title but they sold part of their damn soul to do it. Worth it, no question, but I feel like DeMar is owed a happy ending and having him back in Toronto is that to me. OG is someone I'm very high on and he wasn't doing much in Toronto, so I took him in -- I want him around longterm but we'll see how he responds to his new team.

As for that line, I mean, when WAS the last time a white guy was taken first in the draft? I can't even name who that is, Bird himself was taken 6th overall IRL back in 78.

If we saw a white kid go first today in the NBA draft, none of us would believe it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2020, 09:08 PM   #16
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
I sent DeMar back to Toronto on purpose -- that man didn't deserve to be traded by the Raptors, they won a title but they sold part of their damn soul to do it. Worth it, no question, but I feel like DeMar is owed a happy ending and having him back in Toronto is that to me. OG is someone I'm very high on and he wasn't doing much in Toronto, so I took him in -- I want him around longterm but we'll see how he responds to his new team.

As for that line, I mean, when WAS the last time a white guy was taken first in the draft? I can't even name who that is, Bird himself was taken 6th overall IRL back in 78.

If we saw a white kid go first today in the NBA draft, none of us would believe it.

Well, Luka Doncic should have gone first....

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »