Home

Fight Night Champion Demo Available Now, Post Impressions Here (360, PS3)

This is a discussion on Fight Night Champion Demo Available Now, Post Impressions Here (360, PS3) within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #33
The OS Artist Guy

NYG_Meth's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Fight Night Champion Demo Available Now, Post Impressions Here (360) PS3 Tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I am at work till 5:00 pm central
Hit me up when you get home.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Fight Night Champion Demo Available Now, Post Impressions Here (360) PS3 Tonight

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not, but I didn't want to take up a slot on the boxing forum homepage. Is it possible to download the demo from the internet/website/online, put it on a flash drive, then put the demo on your ps3 via flashdrive, and subsequently install it? You can do this with PS3 system updates, and obviously some other things like custom music, rosters, etc. So I'm hoping you can also do this with a demo.

The reason I ask is because something is wrong with my ps3. It barely registers my wireless connection and it's a blessing if I can download a roster on 2kshare. Sometimes, if pigs are flying by my window and Satan has the flu, I can get a 20mb patch to download without it disconnecting. Downloading a demo is out of the question though.

Obviously, I can't just plug an ethernet cable into the back of my ps3 either, my only option is wireless at this time.

If anyone knows if that's possible or not, please let me know. Like many of us, I've been looking forward to this game for a long time. The fact the demo is out a month earlier than the game is incredible. Thank you guys for reading this and I appreciate your responses.

Mods, if I shouldn't have posted this question here. I promise I will make it up to the board by editing this post and replacing it with impressions after I download the demo.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #35
Rookie

The Visualizer's Arena

OVR: 6

heres my latest thoughts I posted on another site:

Quote:
I've been playing the demo for a few days now as someone uploaded a version you could burn to a data disc on the EA Forums last week, I played a ton of FNR4 and in the end grew to hate that game, my impressions of the demo:Overall it's a big step up in pretty much every area except Presentation and Commentary.

The graphics, lighting in particular are impressive. Fighter models are more well proportioned, look at Tyson and Pacquiao on both games in particular, they were roided out on FNR4. The addition of the ref is nice even though he doesn't actually do anything, EA could have at least made him break up long lasting clinches. The camera looks and moves great. I like how it kind of swings a bit if you do a lot of moving around, its hard to judge distances when it goes North/South but it always readjusts pretty quickly. That definately adds a certain freshness to the game as opposed to the stationary cams from last year.

Gameplay wise I like the improvements to punching and blocking. Full Spectrum Punching is great as its easier to throw from both sides now, as they were right, in FNR4 the analog motions were a little uncomfortablee throwing hooks and uppercuts from the left. You also have a few more punches available now (arcing uppercuts and overhands). I don't like the fact that it's still not really 1 to 1 responsive though as like FNR4 you are essentially queuing up combos. This doesn't allow you to make split second adjustments and a lot of times you will throw an extra punch or 2 that will leave you wide open to get countered.

Punch wise you will need to hold an extra button to throw body punches. This combined with the change to the blocking mechanic drastically changes the fighting for the better. Gone are the stupid "guess high/low" mashfests of FNR4 as body punching half the time along with taking advantage of the counter freeze was the only way to be successful. Now you have to think about hoing to the body more and it becomes more of a strategy than an involuntary reaction to throw to the body. Accuracy seems to be a little too high right now as I'm consistently landing 60% which is that about double what real fighters throw when they have good accurate rounds.

Right now stamina seems to be an issue as you can essentially throw all round long with little short term penalty as long as you mix left and right up a little bit. The ratings now differentiate between long and short term stamina ( I think they call it Endurance and Fatigue ). In a 3 Rd Demo it's impossible to tell how stamina will look in the later rounds if you keep the busy pace up that the game currently allows.

The other issue I see that kind of goes hand and hand with stamina is that each punch doesn't do enough damage. Also you can rarely br interrupted by getting hit. Both of these design decisions encourage the all out wars that the series has been known for. Despite the introfuction of "Fight-Ending KOs" at anytime, you still need to fight all out to win as opposed to fighting smart. If you actually had to worry about what was coming back at you more it would force players to pick their spots more instead of every round being a Gatti-Ward slugfest.

The dev's have been taking feedback since they first showed the game at Community Day and have built "tuner adjustments" into the game like some of the other EA Sports games so they can adjust gameplay server-side without the need for normal "patch", so I think some of my concerns right now will be addressed, and even if they are not there were sliders to tweak these problem areas in last year's game.
my 360 gamertag is The Visualizer, add me if you want to throwdown, I fight smart and would say I'm pretty solid with the sticks.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #36
True.

Chef Matt's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrews
I'm not sure if this belongs here or not, but I didn't want to take up a slot on the boxing forum homepage. Is it possible to download the demo from the internet/website/online, put it on a flash drive, then put the demo on your ps3 via flashdrive, and subsequently install it? You can do this with PS3 system updates, and obviously some other things like custom music, rosters, etc. So I'm hoping you can also do this with a demo.

The reason I ask is because something is wrong with my ps3. It barely registers my wireless connection and it's a blessing if I can download a roster on 2kshare. Sometimes, if pigs are flying by my window and Satan has the flu, I can get a 20mb patch to download without it disconnecting. Downloading a demo is out of the question though.

Obviously, I can't just plug an ethernet cable into the back of my ps3 either, my only option is wireless at this time.

If anyone knows if that's possible or not, please let me know. Like many of us, I've been looking forward to this game for a long time. The fact the demo is out a month earlier than the game is incredible. Thank you guys for reading this and I appreciate your responses.

Mods, if I shouldn't have posted this question here. I promise I will make it up to the board by editing this post and replacing it with impressions after I download the demo.
You should be OK posting this here. it is about the Demo.

Unfortunatly I don't have an answer for you though, but I know how you feel. My isp has been suspect at best recently constantly dropping signals. I'm just hoping I can the demo DL'ed myself or I may be in the same boat as you.

Edit; I can't open this where I am now so I don't know exactly what's there but it might help.
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/4750815.page

Last edited by Chef Matt; 02-01-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
money you playing on ps3 or xbox
I'll be getting KO'd on XBL.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #38
Rookie

how's the damage system in the demo? over done? feel right - I havent seen any bad cuts in the attached fights - cant wait til tonight to try it out
Old 02-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #39
Rookie

Demo is pretty good feels graphics are nice and the camera is great, now the camera so great shows the lack of foot movement even more. It's not terrible but more noticeable due to the new camera angle.

The full spectrum control feels okay ,., kind of odd how to explain it .. seems like it's not fully there ... like it's in the BETA stage, works many times and sometimes it doesn't, then again I've only played 3 games.

Now I've heard many people say the computer is relentless and throws way too many punches I personally think it's a fight style... I played as Pac-man first fight went the distance and I got robbed lol (Teddy said Cotto was Given a GIFT) (same line as usual)!

Next two fights I won by decision very easily... as Pac-man took some time to learn the new blocking as and still learning it but just pressing the RT button without anything else makes for good blocking.. especially good for countering if the guy is aggressive.

The combos went from TOO slow to TOO FAST in this game... almost feels like street fighter the pace needs to be slowed down a bit.

Onto punch count... I threw about 70 a round and he did about the same for ALL 3 fights... then again I'm more of a counter puncher... sure I could have thrown a ton more question is why didn't cotto?

3 fights NO knockdowns... and I was stunned once and stunned Cotto once.

Commentary is pretty much the same but they do talk about the CUTS and bruising a bit more.. hopefully it's not just TALK and can influence the fight it's only 3 rounds so cannot tell yet.

Overall it's good.. I just don't feel like I'm fighting as Pac-man .. and I surely don't feel as if I was fighting Cotto if anything I was a better body puncher

It's only a demo, I believe when the full rounds are there plus realize these guys are "maxed out" at their best.. so when we create a fighter it probably won't be like this as you move up your ratings pretty slowly.

The game has [potential I didn't play online but could see how many could find a way to cheese things in no time... at least here we can share gamer tags and know we will fight the way it's supposed to be..Thank god for OS

Hope this helps someone!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #40
Rookie

The Visualizer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrm187
how's the damage system in the demo? over done? feel right - I havent seen any bad cuts in the attached fights - cant wait til tonight to try it out
the cuts are there, and seem pretty well implemented, but graphics wise the color of the blood looks different then the screenshots and it kind of blends in with the skin too much from what I've seen so it's even hard to see when you are cut even in closeups unless it's really bad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »