Home

Kentucky Wildcats 2010-11 Thread

This is a discussion on Kentucky Wildcats 2010-11 Thread within the College Basketball Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball > College Basketball Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #73
MVP

wildcatchild's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Kentucky Wildcats 2010-11 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYanks2
This team is just scary right now, all I have to say. WOW..
I second that motion. However - and I posted this in another thread - I am proceeding with guarded optimism. Yes, I think we have the best team but as recent history shows, having the best team during the season means nothing. I humble myself by looking at the last 5-6 "non-NHL" champs in the major sports: New York Giants, St. Louis Cardinals, Dallas Mavericks, UConn (ugh!), Green Bay Packers, and San Francisco Giants. What do these teams have in common? None of them were considered the best team heading into their respective tournament/playoff. It's all about getting hot at the right time.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #74
MVP

Koolie G's Arena

Great game last night against the Gators.

Think about this in the Anthony Davis POY argument: He leads the #1 team in the country in Points, Rebounds, Blocks, Steals and FG%. That is impressive no matter how you look at it.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #75
MVP

wildcatchild's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolie G
Great game last night against the Gators.

Think about this in the Anthony Davis POY argument: He leads the #1 team in the country in Points, Rebounds, Blocks, Steals and FG%. That is impressive no matter how you look at it.
To spin off your comments (and my comments above), I can't understand why Anthony Davis is not the clear front-runner for National POY. He impacts both ends of the court every single game. And unlike Thomas Robinson, Davis has to share shot attempts with MKG, Miller, Jones, Lamb, and Teague. He could easily put up 18 ppg if he had to, but we don't need him to take 15 shots for us to win every night.

Best player on the best team usually gives you an advantage but I don't feel the love from the national media yet, although I'm starting to see some talking heads on ESPN (****s, Vitale, etc.) come around after last night's game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #76
MVP

Koolie G's Arena

I'm not saying Davis should definitely be the POY, but he has just as good a case if not a better one than Robinson.

You are correct that Davis impacts both ends of the court. His mere defensive presence is enough to change the way teams run their offense. He doesn't even have to block a single shot to affect the game in major way. There has not been a player make this kind of impact on a game in a long long time.

That being said, it may be a tough one at Vandy on Saturday.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #77
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatchild
I second that motion. However - and I posted this in another thread - I am proceeding with guarded optimism. Yes, I think we have the best team but as recent history shows, having the best team during the season means nothing. I humble myself by looking at the last 5-6 "non-NHL" champs in the major sports: New York Giants, St. Louis Cardinals, Dallas Mavericks, UConn (ugh!), Green Bay Packers, and San Francisco Giants. What do these teams have in common? None of them were considered the best team heading into their respective tournament/playoff. It's all about getting hot at the right time.
I posted a long-*** reply, but of course the page never refreshed and it got lost for eternity. Maybe for the best though, lol probably a bit too many paragraphs anyway. I'm gonna try this again later

I agree with Koolie regarding Davis. POY is very likely, and warranted.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #78
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

Digger Phelps is such a tool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6Di...layer_embedded
Old 02-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #79
MVP

wildcatchild's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYanks2
Digger is the epitome of every ESPN analyst sans Jay Bilas. He can't stand UK because we used to kick his butt when he was the Notre Dame coach. Want to know why Bobby Knight doesn't talk about UK? Same reason. In fact, we're the one of the few top teams ole' Bobby hasn't analyzed in one of his little film sessions. I've heard his hate for UK is so bad that ESPN won't even let him mention us on air. So much for the notion of "unbiased" journalism.

At the end of the day, here's all you need to know about ESPN: on a recent Sportscenter, they counted down a "Top 10 moments of the college basketball season" and the Davis block vs. Jon Henson didn't crack the Top 10. Think about that for a moment. The most hyped non-conference game in recent memory ends in dramatic fashion and it's not one of the top-10 moments of the year? Of course, Watford's shot against UK was #2.

If (and hopefully when) we cut down the nets on April 2nd, well, this is what will probably happen to both Digger and Bobby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA
Old 02-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #80
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatchild
Digger is the epitome of every ESPN analyst sans Jay Bilas. He can't stand UK because we used to kick his butt when he was the Notre Dame coach. Want to know why Bobby Knight doesn't talk about UK? Same reason. In fact, we're the one of the few top teams ole' Bobby hasn't analyzed in one of his little film sessions. I've heard his hate for UK is so bad that ESPN won't even let him mention us on air. So much for the notion of "unbiased" journalism.

At the end of the day, here's all you need to know about ESPN: on a recent Sportscenter, they counted down a "Top 10 moments of the college basketball season" and the Davis block vs. Jon Henson didn't crack the Top 10. Think about that for a moment. The most hyped non-conference game in recent memory ends in dramatic fashion and it's not one of the top-10 moments of the year? Of course, Watford's shot against UK was #2.

If (and hopefully when) we cut down the nets on April 2nd, well, this is what will probably happen to both Digger and Bobby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA
There definitely are some ESPN personalities that have a clear bias against Kentucky. Knight's bias for Kentucky is just blatantly obvious, and just makes him look like a stubborn child. Not to mention, it's irresponsible for ESPN to allow him to continue as an announcer with his clear bias.

Yea, that is pretty low of ESPN to not include that play. But meh, it's whatever. I wonder if they will show that replay of Tchiengang, or however you spell that insignificant sob's name throwing an obvious punch at Teague. Did you see that? Either way it doesn't matter now, because we went in that poor excuse of a gym and took care of business.

Vandy is really started to emerge as one of my least favorite teams. Glad we got them, it was starting to look like Indiana all over again. I swear it seemed like they could not miss early in the second half. I cringed everytime they shot a three. I guess they were due to hit some, but jesus when they went up by four, I wanted to punch Digger in the face. UK took every punch to the gut by Vandy, and yet stayed calm, and made the right decisions and key shots to pull it out.

Well, I can cross off the question mark for Teague. Nobody remained as calm as this guy. He didn't have Cal to turn too, and it didn't matter, his decision making was flawless. To be honest, I wouldn't have knocked him too hard if he made some mistakes, that was as rabid an atmosphere as it gets. This is why I think this is the year. Because this team is so damn resilient. Sure, anyone can get knocked off in March Madness, but it's gotta be a huge factor that this team is full of freshmen, and they all have nerves of steel. You would have thought Teague was a senior the way he played last night, he has really turned the corner these last few games, and I'm starting to feel safe with him as the floor general. And damn do I love this team. Champion or not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball > College Basketball Official Team Threads »