Home

College Basketball Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Basketball Off Topic within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #73
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: College Basketball Off Topic

As far as I'm concerned it kicked off last night.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #74
Hall Of Fame

Chaos81's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiejerseys
Don't sleep on the Miami Hurricanes.
Hopefully they don't have any DII schools on their regular season schedule.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #75
Pro

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos81
Hopefully they don't have any DII schools on their regular season schedule.
I haven't even looked at their schedule.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #76
MVP

OVR: 15

Anybody interest in doing some type of Operation Sports Weekly Top 25 rankings. I was thinking if we did, we would vote on the poll either on Sunday or Fridays and have the poll released on Monday or Saturday mornings before the games.

Here's an example of one that was done on the CBS Sports boards a couple years ago, http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...19730/19767262

2013 and 2015 OS NFL Pick'em Champ...somehow I won 2 in 3 years.

Last edited by phenom1990; 11-04-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #77
MVP

PhantomPain's Arena

OVR: 16

Peter Jurkin (yes that's his name) and Hanner Perea will miss 9 games and pay $250 (Jurkin) and $1590 (Perea) to a charity for receiving impermissible benefits from an IU booster prior to getting on campus.

I guess I am ignorant to this, but they received $6k (Jurkin) and $8k (Perea) from the booster but only pay back $250 and $1590 respectively? For some reason I thought you have to pay back the amount that was given?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-ru...16--ncaab.html

Last edited by PhantomPain; 11-06-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #78
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPain
Peter Jurkin (yes that's his name) and Hanner Perea will miss 9 games and pay $250 (Jurkin) and $1590 (Perea) to a charity for receiving impermissible benefits from an IU booster prior to getting on campus.

I guess I am ignorant to this, but they received $6k (Jurkin) and $8k (Perea) from the booster but only pay back $250 and $1590 respectively? For some reason I thought you have to pay back the amount that was given?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-ru...16--ncaab.html
It didn't say all of the money was impermissible, only a portion of it. Just because a player was provided with things that totaled over 9,000 dollars doesn't mean all of that 9,000 dollars was illegal for a lack of a better word.

2013 and 2015 OS NFL Pick'em Champ...somehow I won 2 in 3 years.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #79
MVP

PhantomPain's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom1990
It didn't say all of the money was impermissible, only a portion of it. Just because a player was provided with things that totaled over 9,000 dollars doesn't mean all of that 9,000 dollars was illegal for a lack of a better word.
Gotcha.

I just read what this is all about and the NCAA continues to show how incredibly inept they truly are. They are calling the guy a booster because he made a $185 donation to IU Booster club 20 years ago. IU fans will correct me if I'm wrong, and I most likely am, but I believe he may have set up a charity to help foreign kids have the ability to come to the US and play basketball.

I can't stand the NCAA.

Last edited by PhantomPain; 11-06-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #80
MVP

dunnyduns's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPain
Gotcha.

I just read what this is all about and the NCAA continues to show how incredibly inept they truly are. They are calling the guy a booster because he made a $185 donation to IU Booster club 20 years ago. IU fans will correct me if I'm wrong, and I most likely am, but I believe he may have set up a charity to help foreign kids have the ability to come to the US and play basketball.

I can't stand the NCAA.
This booster that donated a 185 dollars to Indiana over 20 years ago is Mark Adams, Founder of A-Hope, a program that brings kids overseas to America for a chance at a education and to play basketball. ESPN did a report on the program over a year ago and according to Adams he said that IU compliance and the NCAA were aware of what he was doing and were OK with it.

You can read more about it here from the Bloomington newspaper and the ESPN article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/n...ory?id=6587668

http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/2011/05/...-hanner-perea/

From all I can tell it seems like Mark Adams is trying to do good and he has put a lot of his own money into this program to help some kids overseas to give them opportunities here to make a better life for themselves. For the NCAA to call him a booster after he donated a whooping 185 dollars to IU in the late 80's early 90's and make these 2 young men sit out 9 games because of it is just stupid. It's just punishing the kids who are completely innocent over something minor, but again this is the NCAA we are talking about.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »