Home

Harder to win - National Title or Superbowl?

This is a discussion on Harder to win - National Title or Superbowl? within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Harder to win - National Title or Superbowl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olson-for-Heisman
Easily a national championship.

9-7 Arizona came within 35 seconds of a Super Bowl while 2004 Auburn and 2008 Utah capped their perfect seasons with exhibition wins in the Sugar Bowl.
The fact that Arizona was 9-7 and almost won the Super Bowl completely proves the parity that is in the NFL, and how every team in the league can win and has talent, how close the competition is, etc. Utah played a bunch of crap teams and never played anyone that was as good as them...but in the NFL, any team can win any given Sunday.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 09-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
Utah played a bunch of crap teams and never played anyone that was as good as them...but in the NFL, any team can win any given Sunday.
What about Auburn?

And if you want to play the out of conference card, then pretend Auburn played 3 top 10 teams and Oklahoma or USC gets left out.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
The fact that Arizona was 9-7 and almost won the Super Bowl completely proves the parity that is in the NFL, and how every team in the league can win and has talent, how close the competition is, etc.
Exactly. Parity means the competition isn't as difficult. Arizona's toughest game en route to the Super Bowl was against a Delhomme-led Carolina team. Florida had to beat 12-0 Alabama and 12-1 Oklahoma en route to the championship. Florida played a few cupcakes, but Arizona played in the NFC West.

One could argue that the Super Bowl is harder to win than a national title, but 9-7 Arizona making it to the Super Bowl is not one of them.

Quote:
Utah played a bunch of crap teams and never played anyone that was as good as them...but in the NFL, any team can win any given Sunday.
Utah beat four top-25 teams, including two top-10 teams. One of them was a 12-1 SEC team.

Last edited by Chip Douglass; 09-08-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olson-for-Heisman
Exactly. Parity means the competition isn't as difficult. Arizona's toughest game en route to the Super Bowl was against a Delhomme-led Carolina team. Florida had to beat 12-0 Alabama and 12-1 Oklahoma en route to the championship. Florida played a few cupcakes, but Arizona played in the NFC West.

One could argue that the Super Bowl is harder to win than a national title, but 9-7 Arizona making it to the Super Bowl is not one of them.

Utah beat four top-25 teams, including two top-10 teams. One of them was a 12-1 SEC team.
Please look up the definition of what parity means. I said the fact that Arizona was 9-7 and made it to the Super Bowl shows how much parity there is in the NFL...meaning the competition IS difficult, meaning most teams are close-to-equal in talent, etc. The fact that a Super Bowl team was 9-7 shows how difficult it really is.

You won't see 1 loss or undefeated teams in the NFL with regularity like you do in the NCAA. That once again proves the parity that is in the NFL. Every single year you see College teams going undefeated or having only 1-2 losses. You're not going to see that in the NFL because teams are so good, and schedules are so tough. Not to mention, Notre Dame has the most National Championships in NCAA football with 13(I think). In the NFL, the Steelers have the most SB's with 6....13 vs 6...that again shows how much harder it is to win the Super Bowl than win the NC.

This is an interesting debate, but I honestly don't see how anyone could say winning the NC is harder. You don't have these cupcake teams in the NFL that Florida and USC get to pounce on 56-0 everytime in College. You don't have undefeated or 1 loss teams with regularity in the NFL. What you have, is a league full of talent, great coaches, etc. Any team can beat any team. Schedules are tougher, you're playing the best of the best week in and week out in the NFL. You can't say that with College Football.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #21
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Please look up the definition of what parity means. I said the fact that Arizona was 9-7 and made it to the Super Bowl shows how much parity there is in the NFL...meaning the competition IS difficult, meaning most teams are close-to-equal in talent, etc. The fact that a Super Bowl team was 9-7 shows how difficult it really is.

You won't see 1 loss or undefeated teams in the NFL with regularity like you do in the NCAA. That once again proves the parity that is in the NFL. Every single year you see College teams going undefeated or having only 1-2 losses. You're not going to see that in the NFL because teams are so good, and schedules are so tough. Not to mention, Notre Dame has the most National Championships in NCAA football with 13(I think). In the NFL, the Steelers have the most SB's with 6....13 vs 6...that again shows how much harder it is to win the Super Bowl than win the NC.

This is an interesting debate, but I honestly don't see how anyone could say winning the NC is harder. You don't have these cupcake teams in the NFL that Florida and USC get to pounce on 56-0 everytime in College. You don't have undefeated or 1 loss teams with regularity in the NFL. What you have, is a league full of talent, great coaches, etc. Any team can beat any team. Schedules are tougher, you're playing the best of the best week in and week out in the NFL. You can't say that with College Football.
you need to look at when Notre Dame won all those championships. Most were wayyy back in the day when football was still evolving. If you look at the past 40 years, there's a pretty good number of different champions.
IMO college owns the No Fun League.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndhusker90
you need to look at when Notre Dame won all those championships. Most were wayyy back in the day when football was still evolving. If you look at the past 40 years, there's a pretty good number of different champions.
IMO college owns the No Fun League.
lol how do you like College but not the NFL? That seems wierd to me. I mean the same players that you're watching on Saturdays, are someday going to be playing on Sundays(given that they're not a bust).

But anyway, in all honesty..this is too hard to compare. There's way too many differences between each. It's honestly not even comparable when you really think about it. I still stand by my points, but there's just way too many differences and ways you could look at it. One could easily argue for the NC being harder, just as easy as arguing for the Super Bowl being harder. You could easily make good points for both. But it's just too different to where it's not very comparable.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #23
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
lol how do you like College but not the NFL? That seems wierd to me. I mean the same players that you're watching on Saturdays, are someday going to be playing on Sundays(given that they're not a bust).

But anyway, in all honesty..this is too hard to compare. There's way too many differences between each. It's honestly not even comparable when you really think about it. I still stand by my points, but there's just way too many differences and ways you could look at it. One could easily argue for the NC being harder, just as easy as arguing for the Super Bowl being harder. You could easily make good points for both. But it's just too different to where it's not very comparable.
the NFL is a bunch of overpaid egotistical superstars IMO, bar the few players that arent like that. College has all the pageantry, the great atmostpheres, bands, passionate fans that the NFL doesn't have, i could go on forever about the advantages of college over pros.

Why do you like the NFL but not college is my question. haha. It's just a matter of personal preference, like you prefer the NFL. I don't see what's so hard to understand.
And yes, it is too hard to compare. Really, it's not even comparable at all.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndhusker90
the NFL is a bunch of overpaid egotistical superstars IMO, bar the few players that arent like that. College has all the pageantry, the great atmostpheres, bands, passionate fans that the NFL doesn't have, i could go on forever about the advantages of college over pros.

Why do you like the NFL but not college is my question. haha. It's just a matter of personal preference, like you prefer the NFL. I don't see what's so hard to understand.
And yes, it is too hard to compare. Really, it's not even comparable at all.
There are a lot of overpaid players, but I don't see how that in any way takes away from the experience of watching the NFL.

As far as egotistical players...those same egotistical players that are in the NFL, were once playing at the College level. That doesn't make sense. How can you call out a player in the NFL for having a big ego, when that same egotistical player that you're watching in the NFL was once playing on Saturdays in College Football? There are just as many big ego's in College football as there are in the NFL, probably way more since there's only 32 teams in the NFL compared to hundreds of schools in College.

Bands and pageantry are the only thing the NFL doesn't have. I hear ya on that. But the NFL does have great atmospheres and passionate fans.

And I love College Football. I never said I didn't.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »