Home

Harder to win - National Title or Superbowl?

This is a discussion on Harder to win - National Title or Superbowl? within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #25
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Harder to win - National Title or Superbowl?

Way harder to win a national championship. In the NFL, if you have a decent season you're at least guaranteed a shot. In college, no such guarantee exists, and on top of that if you're not a marquee name then you have even less of a chance.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2009, 12:23 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
Please look up the definition of what parity means. I said the fact that Arizona was 9-7 and made it to the Super Bowl shows how much parity there is in the NFL...meaning the competition IS difficult, meaning most teams are close-to-equal in talent, etc. The fact that a Super Bowl team was 9-7 shows how difficult it really is.
I know what parity means and I acknowledge it rules the NFL, but it's a two way street. You cannot tell me Arizona beating Carolina en route to the Super Bowl is equal to Florida having to go through undefeated Alabama and 1-loss Oklahoma. Arizona's competition wasn't that difficult.

Florida beats cupcakes by 56. Arizona beats the Rams/Seahawks by 3 TDs. What's the difference? Obviously the Rams/Seahawks are closer to Arizona talentwise than Citadel is to Florida, but Arizona played in a laughably bad division and went 3-7 against the rest of the NFL last season. That tells me you don't have to be that great to reach the Super Bowl, while the national champions are 2-loss teams at the worst (2007 LSU).

Quote:
You won't see 1 loss or undefeated teams in the NFL with regularity like you do in the NCAA. That once again proves the parity that is in the NFL. Every single year you see College teams going undefeated or having only 1-2 losses. You're not going to see that in the NFL because teams are so good, and schedules are so tough. Not to mention, Notre Dame has the most National Championships in NCAA football with 13(I think). In the NFL, the Steelers have the most SB's with 6....13 vs 6...that again shows how much harder it is to win the Super Bowl than win the NC.
Strawman attack part II. I never argued parity didn't exist in the NFL, but I don't think parity is exclusively beneficial. The talent is certainly diluted, but that means there aren't necessarily many loaded teams in the league. The competition that Arizona played should not be used in their favor at all.

Quote:
This is an interesting debate, but I honestly don't see how anyone could say winning the NC is harder. You don't have these cupcake teams in the NFL that Florida and USC get to pounce on 56-0 everytime in College. You don't have undefeated or 1 loss teams with regularity in the NFL. What you have, is a league full of talent, great coaches, etc. Any team can beat any team. Schedules are tougher, you're playing the best of the best week in and week out in the NFL. You can't say that with College Football.
I would consider the 49ers, Rams, and Seahawks to be cupcake teams. They finished a combined 13-35. Florida certainly played more "best of the best" teams than Arizona.

It doesn't help either that flagship college programs have to shed their talent year after year and have to reload. USC has had 29 players picked in the 1st or 2nd round in the NFL Draft since 2003, including 3 Heisman trophy winners. Ditto with schools like Ohio State, LSU, Miami, etc. They have to reload every year, while flagship NFL franchises like the Colts build around their team. You can't build an experienced nuclei like the Colts (Manning/Wayne/Harrison) have with a college team.

It's easier to win in the NFL because the NFL has a vastly superior system and about a quarter of the teams.

Of course, I can actually understand why a Colts fan thinks SBs are harder to win.

Last edited by Chip Douglass; 09-09-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:23 AM   #27
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
There are a lot of overpaid players, but I don't see how that in any way takes away from the experience of watching the NFL.

As far as egotistical players...those same egotistical players that are in the NFL, were once playing at the College level. That doesn't make sense. How can you call out a player in the NFL for having a big ego, when that same egotistical player that you're watching in the NFL was once playing on Saturdays in College Football? There are just as many big ego's in College football as there are in the NFL, probably way more since there's only 32 teams in the NFL compared to hundreds of schools in College.

Bands and pageantry are the only thing the NFL doesn't have. I hear ya on that. But the NFL does have great atmospheres and passionate fans.

And I love College Football. I never said I didn't.
the egos get bigger with the NFL. Chad Johnson("ochocinco") is one example. ever watch his college games, then watch him now? big difference.
The ratio of big egos is higher in the NFL IMO(i dont have factual info lol but whatever)
I didn't actually mean to say you didn't like college, even though it came out that way. I meant to pose the question a different way. but I failed. lol.
As far as fans go, I think that college has more passionate. Not that the NFL doesn't, but I don't see fans chanting the whole game in the NFL, whereas in college you see that all over the place. Specifically in the student sections.
I'm not bashing you or anything. I see where you're coming from, it's just not the same as what I think. Anyway, it's good to see a different point of view.
Peace
Old 09-09-2009, 12:25 AM   #28
Banned

JaBronie247's Arena

OVR: 26

I don't believe that you can compare them IMO
Old 09-09-2009, 12:39 AM   #29
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olson-for-Heisman
I know what parity means and I acknowledge it rules the NFL, but it's a two way street. You cannot tell me Arizona beating Carolina en route to the Super Bowl is equal to Florida have to go through undefeated Alabama and 1-loss Oklahoma. Arizona's competition wasn't that difficult.

Florida beats cupcakes by 56. Arizona beats the Rams/Seahawks by 3 TDs. What's the difference? Obviously the Rams/Seahawks are closer to Arizona talentwise than Citadel to Florida, but Arizona played in a laughably bad decision and went 3-7 against the rest of the NFL last season. That tells me you don't have to be that great to reach the Super Bowl, while the national champions are 2-loss teams at the worst (2007 LSU).

Strawman attack part II. I never argued parity didn't exist in the NFL, but I don't think parity is exclusively beneficial. The talent is certainly diluted, but that means there aren't necessarily many loaded teams in the league. The competition that Arizona played should not be used in their favor at all.

I would consider the 49ers, Rams, and Seahawks to be cupcake teams. They finished a combined 13-35. Florida certainly played more "best of the best" teams than Arizona.

It doesn't help either that flagship college programs have to shed their talent year after year and have to reload. USC has had 29 players picked in the 1st or 2nd round in the NFL Draft since 2003, including 3 Heisman trophy winners. Ditto with schools like Ohio State, LSU, Miami, etc. They have to reload every year, while flagship NFL franchises like the Colts build around their team. You can't build an experienced nuclei like the Colts (Manning/Wayne/Harrison) have with a college team.

It's easier to win in the NFL because the NFL has a vastly superior system and about a quarter of the teams.

Of course, I can actually understand why a Colts fan thinks SBs are harder to win.
Idk why you're talking about Arizona so much...that's not really the topic of discussion. That's just 1 example of a team that didn't play that great in the regular season, but stepped their game up when it mattered most and that was in the Playoffs. Usually teams that finish 9-7 don't go onto the Super bowl, but seriously...look at how they played in the Playoffs, they played excellent. You can't tell me that the Cardinal team we saw in the regular season was the same team we saw in the Playoffs....they stepped up big time in the playoffs and played great. But anyway, I've come to realize that you can't compare the two. There's so many differences between each, it's not comparable. You could make great arguments for both.

Oh and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olson-for-Heisman
You just had to go there didn't you...
Enter text her
Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Last edited by z Revis; 09-09-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Idk why you're talking about Arizona so much...that's not really the topic of discussion. That's just 1 example of a team that didn't play that great in the regular season, but stepped their game up when it mattered most and that was in the Playoffs.
Because Arizona is an example of a team sliding through the regular season and making the Super Bowl because they played well in 3 games. College teams don't have that luxury in this system. OU lost their first game of the year to a good BYU team and they're most likely out of it. Arizona is the epitome of how easy it is to make it to the SB (shouldn't call it easy, but easier than college) with favorable scheduling and getting hot at the right time. You can make a giant run in the playoffs, but in college, you have to make a giant run throughout the entire season.

The NFL actually has a competent system for deciding a champion and has ALOT less teams. It's easier IMO.

Last edited by Chip Douglass; 09-09-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:47 AM   #31
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

Ill go with National Title. College teams rarely have stability due to graduation and players leaving for the NFL.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2009, 06:52 AM   #32
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32

National title easily.

Right now EVERY NFL has the same chance as the rest of the league to win the super bowl.

Right now the top 10-15 teams have a chance to win the title in College. You can go undefeated and get to the super bowl in the pros, in college undefeated still isnt good enough for 80% of the programs out their probably even higher.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »