Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-03-2021, 10:33 PM   #8153
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: College Football Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Why would research grants change with a different conference?
The B1G also has an academic alliance. They aren't joined together purely for sports reasons.

― Plato
Old 08-03-2021, 11:56 PM   #8154
Get off my lawn

JHamilton9's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
The B1G also has an academic alliance. They aren't joined together purely for sports reasons.

Exactly. That's why when people speculate about B1G expansion targets, Iowa State and Kansas are mentioned from the Big 12 and North Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia Tech are mentioned from the ACC.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:16 AM   #8155
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Athletic reporting the story is false. I'm not sure much more movement happens outside of the Big 12 either adding some G5 teams or seeing a couple of Big 12 teams finding new homes in the other P5 conferences.

The B1G doesn't need to really add anyone. Their teams already make more $ than the SEC. Ohio State isn't going to the SEC like some rumors say. That ones a bit more funny. They'd be making less money and making life harder on themselves, plus the non-sports revenue would take a significant hit were they to do that.

Clemson and FSU are going nowhere. FSU is a wreck right now financially speaking and I'm not sure anyone would want to touch them at the moment, I'm also not too sure their new president even cares about sports either. He's all in on making them the Harvard of the panhandle.

The ACC and B1G aren't going to die with OU and UT joining the SEC. They'll be fine. If the playoffs do expand, that makes it even less vital for them to make any big time moves as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
You're missing the money the SEC is going to make, looking like $80-90 million per team. The Big Ten will be up for grabs but they can't command that much, so they need to look at options. They also can't miss out and get stuck with UVA and UNC as they add no money to football. GaTech may be OK as it gets them Atlanta but that's it.

The ACC is stuck at $40 at best. The teams cannot exist with that and will slowly die. Then add the NIL and conference sponsorships and they are further behind.

The only options are cut the money for the bottom feeders or find a new conference. Hopefully the football schools can leave or the 50 or so team super conference leaves the NCAA and conferences. If you want UM to make it to the 50 team league, you better want the ACC gone as they are further behind FSU and a few years of the 2 big conferences making a ton more will allow those bottom teams to pass UM and probably FSU.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2021, 09:01 AM   #8156
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
The NCAA announced they aren't going to restore Reggie Bush's Heisman.
Good. I only say that because Reggie Bush was against NIL. Now he wants his award back since they changed the rules. It was a stupid rule but it was a rule nonetheless and he broke it. I care nothing for the NCAA, they shot themselves in the foot and I'm glad it's on the death bed. "Student-athletes" deserve the exact same privileges and rights as every other scholarship student on campus.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-04-2021, 09:27 AM   #8157
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

I remember a few years ago when football money destroyed Big East basketball. I watched the 30 for 30 Requiem for the Big East and it crazy how much history was wiped out for money. Now the money is doing the same thing with football. I'm a die hard SEC UGA guy. I dont really have an opinion about Texas/OU joining the conference. It's kind of like when Mizzou and A&M joined years ago for me. I'm just intrigued by the fallout.

I never cared much about the "amateurism" argument against players getting paid for NIL. I do think though that something is lost when the regional rivalries die. As a Georgia fan games against Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina and Audurn are cookout Saturday's. Theres nothing better. Records dont matter. It's just great SEC Football for us. I just hope we dont move too far away from what makes college football college football. For me it's the regional games and history. I'm all for advancing and progress but I hope we dont swing too far away. College Football without the rivalries and pageantry is just minor league CFL football.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-04-2021, 03:59 PM   #8158
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
You're missing the money the SEC is going to make, looking like $80-90 million per team. The Big Ten will be up for grabs but they can't command that much, so they need to look at options. They also can't miss out and get stuck with UVA and UNC as they add no money to football. GaTech may be OK as it gets them Atlanta but that's it.

The ACC is stuck at $40 at best. The teams cannot exist with that and will slowly die. Then add the NIL and conference sponsorships and they are further behind.

The only options are cut the money for the bottom feeders or find a new conference. Hopefully the football schools can leave or the 50 or so team super conference leaves the NCAA and conferences. If you want UM to make it to the 50 team league, you better want the ACC gone as they are further behind FSU and a few years of the 2 big conferences making a ton more will allow those bottom teams to pass UM and probably FSU.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
$80-90 million is too high. Projections are showing 5 years from now it's likely going to be around $70 million per team. Yes, that's still a good chunk of money, and yes, it is definitely better than the crappy ACC deal, but it isn't going to all of a sudden turn Vanderbilt, South Carolina, and co. into some juggernauts.

Did Swofford screw the ACC over before he left? No doubt. Do they need to get out of the contract even if it means admitting Notre Dame(unlikely) or WVU(much more likely)? Absolutely. Even if the ACC adds WVU which contractually allows them to renegotiate TV rights, they obviously won't be getting a deal that puts them in the same league as the B1G or SEC, but they can get a more competitive deal.

There's more to the sport and building programs than pure revenue as well. Texas has been bringing in more revenue than anyone else for a long time now and it hasn't led to them being an unstoppable force. They had a winning percentage a little above .500 for the entire last decade.

Heck, going back to the Vanderbilt, South Carolina, etc. examples, they've been bringing in 150% of the revenue the ACC teams have and let's not act like it has led to them being anything special. Vanderbilt gets more revenue than Clemson since they are in the SEC, but we obviously see the difference in the programs over the last 10+ years.

To keep it somewhat short and simple, the revenue only takes you so far. You can only build so many facilities and things that win over a recruit here or there. The biggest advantage the money gets you is if Miami and FSU and their inept admins somehow stumble onto some elite coaches, the SEC schools will potentially be able to use that TV money to pay some absurd salaries that the current admins at Miami and FSU won't want to pay since they aren't all in on winning. That's where the biggest advantage is.

That said, there's only so many good coaches out there, and we've seen the SEC loves to hire the same failed coaches repeatedly, so Miami and FSU probably don't have much to worry about unless the SEC changes their hiring processes. Also, if Miami and FSU ever do go back to having admins that care about winning, both schools are more than capable "finding" the money to pay for successful coaches. FSU could have funded the football program more under Fisher, but there was more to that story and I know you likely know that, too.

To give a better example, Miami's admin doesn't care much about winning in sports. They are all about their PR and pushing certain agendas and winning takes a backseat. They are very reluctant to spend any money despite Miami having WAY more than most people realize, and they really hate paying coaches. While Richt was here he was still getting closer to $5 million per year. That would be around the top 15 salaries going into 2021's season. That's with Miami being cheap.

Hell, Miami is still pretty cheap and they paid Dan Enos over a million two years ago to be an abomination and they're paying Lashlee around a million as well. They were also paying Blake Baker around three-quarters of a million dollars which isn't a ton, but when you realize that's what they're paying an inexperienced DC when they are being cheap, then you begin to understand they have the means to pay well if they ever want to. If the admin at Miami ever changed and they actually had an attitude that was all about winning and they wanted to spend the money to get results on the field, Miami would very well have the resources to fund a top 10 coaching staff.

I get where you're coming from with regards to the advantages these schools will have, but the Vandy's, South Carolina's, Tennessee's, Rutger's, and so on have all had some advantages financially over the years and it's amounted to nothing because money doesn't buy you wins. You still have to have the admin setup right with the right attitude, you still have to make the right hire after the right hire to become successful, and so on.

Take Tennessee, give them the revenue Texas has, Tennessee would just become the Texas of the SEC with that money. They've made boneheaded moves left and right and the latest hires they've made are questionable as well.

A lot of these schools are going to just cash these checks and not worry about winning as much. They may say the right things here and there, put on a show acting like they are all in like Alabama, but they won't be. They'll become what Miami became after their ACC move. Once Miami was guaranteed that ACC check, they began having a huge cultural shift in their admin that hasn't changed a whole lot. Why risk spending a lot of money to try and get some wins when you can be cheap, mediocre, and be guaranteed millions of dollars?

If every single SEC and B1G administration is replaced with cutthroat win at all costs people, then it may be time to worry, but in the meantime, Vanderbilt getting $65 million in distribution money still has less potential as a program than a current Miami or FSU who are cheap and not focused as much on winning.

― Plato
Old 08-04-2021, 04:28 PM   #8159
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

I agree money won't make a good program but not having money and having $30-50 million less per year will keep any ACC team from getting recruits and keeping coaches. SEC teams can pay assistants more now and provide a full shadow staff to help with everything. You are right it won't help the bottom feeders that just take they money but it will help the mid level teams that want to be better.

The ACC can't negotiate TV deals, they can ask ESPN to pay more. ESPN can say no and the ACC can't do a thing about it. Also now ESPN will be selling the rights to the ACC games because they won't have enough airtime to show the games with all the SEC games. So ESPN gets some money back and the ACC gets nothing and less exposure.

They could tell the small schools they are cutting their money and have a smaller football only conference and get a larger cut of money but that is probably too complicated.

FSU and Clemson look to be looking at options right now. Don't know about UM but there AD should be if they aren't.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2021, 04:51 PM   #8160
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
I agree money won't make a good program but not having money and having $30-50 million less per year will keep any ACC team from getting recruits and keeping coaches. SEC teams can pay assistants more now and provide a full shadow staff to help with everything. You are right it won't help the bottom feeders that just take they money but it will help the mid level teams that want to be better.

The ACC can't negotiate TV deals, they can ask ESPN to pay more. ESPN can say no and the ACC can't do a thing about it. Also now ESPN will be selling the rights to the ACC games because they won't have enough airtime to show the games with all the SEC games. So ESPN gets some money back and the ACC gets nothing and less exposure.

They could tell the small schools they are cutting their money and have a smaller football only conference and get a larger cut of money but that is probably too complicated.

FSU and Clemson look to be looking at options right now. Don't know about UM but there AD should be if they aren't.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
I haven't looked into it yet, but I've read a few times now that the ACC contract can basically be blown up if they do add even just 1 team. Sounds strange, but I've seen it a few times, so I do wonder if there is truth to it. This is the internet, so seeing something repeatedly does not make it true.

Depending on how accurate the reports are and who you believe, the Athletic swore that Clemson and FSU were not talking to the SEC. Another report came out today saying that Miami and the B1G have had discussions.

I don't know what to believe. The Athletic is usually well sourced, but who knows. I would imagine every AD is on the phone daily right now talking to everyone, so I wouldn't be shocked one bit if the SEC had talked to Clemson and FSU and potentially even Miami. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Miami and the B1G have had serious discussions either.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »