Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #4353
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: College Football Off Topic

I don't know where you're getting your info, but it's wrong. Al Golden was Shalala's choice. 4 coaches didn't turn the job down before hime, he was exactly who she wanted.

Also, the stadium isn't 40 miles away from campus, it isn't even 20 miles away from campus. And the stadium is in the middle of renovations that will make it a very nice stadium. If you want to say they need an on campus stadium, that's one thing, but I would simply disagree with it. MiamI never had an on campus stadium and never will to be realistic. There is absolutely no room for one.

The stadium lacks atmosphere and I admit that. The Orange Bowl hardly ever sold out, but it had personality. They still got 60,000 plus in the stands against mediocre teams. The reason being is the program was trying to win and was putting out a product worth going to see. Nobody around the program wants to sit in 100+ degree weather to watch a horrible coached team. That's why Sun Life only averages 45-46k now. When FSU is in town the place has perfectly fine atmosphere and nobody ever complains.

I've already gone on about facilities. Everything is updated and/or brand new just about. I don't know why I keep hearing media heads saying nothing has been updated in decades. It is simply not true. One positive from the Golden Era is how everything was renovated and new facilities were built.

I've also talked about the money. Miami has plenty. It's not a case of how much they have to spend, it's only how much are they willing to spend. Firing Al and eating his ridiculous buyout is a good sign that maybe they're going to open their pockets. If they want to offer $4mil a year or more, their pockets are more than deep enough. Another positive sign is lately Miami has been 2nd in the ACC in spending on football only behind the obvious in FSU. So they're even spending more than Clemson and UNC or even Louisville.

Shalala is the main reason everything went south after 2001. Her hiring of Golden was politically fueled. She didn't care about wins, she only cared about image and ACC money. Golden wad her coach. If she was still here, he doesn't get fired Sunday. Luckily she is gone and so is he.

Frenk has already kicked off his Era well from an athletics perspective. Harvard always wants to be the best in everything including athletics. They have a great football program. Hopefully that mentality has accompanied him to Miami. Firing Al and paying his buyout is a great sign. If they truly are examining Herman, that's also a nice sign. We're going to see what direction the program is going with this hire. I don't know what to expect. It's hard to be optimistic after Shalala's reign of terror, but what I just listed a second ago does give me a slight glimmer of hope. Maybe there is light at the end of this tunnel.

Also, I am sick of see Mario's name thrown out. No fans want him. He would be a disaster if a hire. Fortunately from what I've heard is most of the trustees don't like him or his personality and don't feel he is qualified at all, which he isn't. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm happy that step one was taken, now comes the most important part.

Again, typing on my phone, sorry for any dumb mistakes.

― Plato
Old 10-27-2015, 03:13 PM   #4354
MVP

fatleg3's Arena

OVR: 27

Mario would be Golden 2.0

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2015, 07:16 PM   #4355
OS Brew Connoisseur

Motown's Arena

Sorry Cane...I meant 40 min drive.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2015, 07:43 PM   #4356
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Haha, that makes more sense. I've heard 40 miles all over the radio though along with so much other cap that I've already hit on. I'm listening now to Athlon Sports radio and they just said the school is poor. Where are people getting this narrative from is all I want to know.

― Plato
Old 10-27-2015, 08:09 PM   #4357
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Haha, that makes more sense. I've heard 40 miles all over the radio though along with so much other cap that I've already hit on. I'm listening now to Athlon Sports radio and they just said the school is poor. Where are people getting this narrative from is all I want to know.
From the lack of money they've spent on their last two coaches in contrast with the programs they consider their peers. And it's not the school, it's the athletic department, as well as the narrative that besides the professionals, the majority of the alumni are international professionals apathetic to football and as such unlikely to invest in being boosters. That's where, though it'd make me very happy if Miami succeeded with this hire. For what my opinion's worth (two cents, more or less) I'd say go after Cristobal. Or Fuente.

I'm hoping USC keeps Helton.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #4358
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

They've been cheap, they are not poor. Like I have already mentioned though, everything athletic is new or has been updated in the last few years. The football team just got a brand new $20 million locker room this past year. They just put nearly $10 into practice facilities alone.

It's not like the university would fail if they didn't get endowments. No, they went from making $30 million in profit to averaging at least $200 million each year the last 5 years or so thanks to UHealth and other investments(Donna did good outside of athletics at least). If the rumors are true, then them throwing $4+ million at the new coach is chump change to the university.

I'm just irritated with all of the BS spewing around the job. The facilities are fine. They're there to draw recruits. Miami doesn't exactly need help in recruiting. A good coach who wins would bee raking in top 10 classes yearly. The coach that just got fired midseason was bringing in top 15 classes even though he sucked. It wasn't the facilities that were making him a bad coach and losing 7 games with 10 guys who'd be NFL players the following season on his team. It was his coaching ability and godawful scheme.

Miami has 1 less player in the NFL than LSU. They have more than Bama and anyone else in the nation besides LSU, but the media is going to keep saying it's the facilities and recruiting that's doing Miami in. It's the school being cheap and getting what they paid for. Drop the $4 mil on a real coach and they more than likely are in the ACC championship game nearly every year and a playoff contender.

Miami has lacked a coach pure and simple. Nothing else.

And I don't get the Cristobal hype. Outside of his recruiting ability, what has he done besides get fired from freaking FIU? He had to be convinced to offer TY Hilton. He never did anything on the field with his teams that screams good coach. So what is all the hype from non Miami people with hi . We don't want him and none of understand why he's always listed. Because he's a Miami guy? Give me Richt if we're limited to former players only. At least he is a decent coach.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 10-27-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:44 PM   #4359
MVP

OVR: 0

I think it has to do with the fact that FIU wasn't **** before he got there, hasn't been **** since he left, and had no business firing him. And he knows the area.

And also many of us are convinced that Butch Davis is a mistake and we can't figure out why everyone thinks he's the guy.

Enviado desde mi XT1064 mediante Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #4360
MVP

fatleg3's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofx94
I think it has to do with the fact that FIU wasn't **** before he got there, hasn't been **** since he left, and had no business firing him. And he knows the area.

And also many of us are convinced that Butch Davis is a mistake and we can't figure out why everyone thinks he's the guy.

Enviado desde mi XT1064 mediante Tapatalk
Butch assembled arguably one of the greatest collection of talent on a college football roster and continued to bring in athletes at North Carolina. Many believed he had that squad ready for a NC run before the suspensions in 2010 and got a raw deal in that entire situation. I am not totally sold on Butch either. He will bring in the talent, but will he win on Saturdays is the question with him.

Also, our starting corner Artie Burns mom had a heart attack and passed yesterday. An official gofundme was started for his family. His dad is doing 25 years in prison and he also has 2 younger brothers. It has reached 40,000 in nine hours. Some fan base huh.....
Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Last edited by fatleg3; 10-27-2015 at 09:24 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »