Home

Rumor: 40GB PS3 for $400

This is a discussion on Rumor: 40GB PS3 for $400 within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2007, 11:34 AM   #17
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Rumor: 40GB PS3 for $400

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I think the shift by Sony is simply because they underestimated the huge negative of their high price point and are simply looking to cut corners. The 40 GB version will be their staple. By dropping 20 GB on the hard drive and removing the PS2 emulator they save money and it will bring them closer in both specs and price of the main 360 version. The current 60 GB model was just too expensive to compete with the 360 counterpart and that was never going to change.

From all of the new SKUs to the price point changes, I see this as a bit of desperation move from Sony (but also a smart one). They simply can't afford to fall much further behind MS and Nintendo in this round of console wars. Developers are starting to jump ship and for Sony exclusives to continue to exist they have to build up the console numbers.
I think this is a good post... I think Sony came to the realization that: why make PS3 BC... when peeps can still buy a PS2 for 99bones...?!?!? Sony could really bundle that....?!?!?

Old 10-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #18
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrams
I think this is a good post... I think Sony came to the realization that: why make PS3 BC... when peeps can still buy a PS2 for 99bones...?!?!? Sony could really bundle that....?!?!?
The new PS3's will still be BC but just not for every game (I have no clue how much difference there will be). It makes me glad I got the 60 GB version with the full emulator but if I had the choice at the time to pay $100 less for the 40 GB version, I might have gone the way of the wallet.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #19
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk
They're just trying to keep up with Microsoft.
Pro
Preimium
Elite
Halo edition

Then you also have the treasue hunt for the models with 65nm chipset.
wtf is the pro, maybe I'm behind, but I guess it's the same as a premium? The halo edition is the same as an elite, but with new paint. If anything, it's like nintendo putting out a n64 with pikachu on for consumers to pay more for. The early adapters already got their consoles of choice, so anyone else in for a ps3 or 360 will only care about price and games. I guess that the majority of new 360 buyers don't even know/care what 65nm chipsets or falcon mean.

With all that, the 360 really hasn't differed much except by taking out a HDD for the core, and adding extra cost stuff to the elite. The ps3's are actually taking out a once hyped feature like 100% backwards compatibility, although I never really cared for that anyways. It will be done by software emulation like the 360 does. Sony once laughed at how MS struggled with BC, and how the ps3 will have 100% compatibility, something they now can't promise with the new BC method. This would also be the 2nd announced price drop in 2007 alone, not really an indicator of solid performance.

Last edited by bkfount; 10-05-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 21

The much-talked about 40GB PS3 will be hitting UK stores on October 10 for £299, Sony has finally confirmed.

The existing 60GB model will also see its asking price slashed down to £349, which will come with two first-party games. This new 'Value Pack' replaces the current £425 'Starter Pack'.

This comes after a seemingly endless run of rumours - and Sony's defiant refusal to comment - that have run rife on the World Wide Web over the past two weeks.

With cutting back production costs a clear priority, the new 40GB console will, as CVG previously reported, come without the front memory card readers, lose two of the four USB ports and, contrary to popular belief, completely lack backwards compatibility support PS2 discs (PS1 support oddly goes unmentioned - we're chasing that).

All other hardware features, including built-in Wi-Fi support, Blu-Ray disc playback will remain.

Sony itself couldn't disclose exactly why the BC was dropped, but CVG has been told that it relates to saving on the licensing costs for the necessary emulation software.

The new budget PS3 puts the price of Sony gaming in line with the Xbox 360 Elite, which also costs £299, and within £120 of the 360 Core unit and Wii.

"As we approach our very first PlayStation Christmas, it is satisfying to be able to offer UK consumers the choice of two PlayStation 3 packages both now representing remarkable value," said Ray Maguire, managing director of SCEUK.

David Reeves, President of SCEE said: "The introduction of the new PS3 has been the result of extensive research into the entertainment needs and preferences of the next generation of PS3 owners.

"It has allowed us to deliver an extremely advanced, yet highly affordable High Definition entertainment system, configured to the needs of the next generation of European PS3 owners," he added.

Swing your eyes downwards to see the first snaps of the new 40GB console.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=173223
Old 10-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #21
MVP

TheBadazz's Arena

OVR: 12

Sony can lower the price, but until they have a set killer games. I won't even consider it. I still think the ps3 is a disappointment. That's why they're scambling to get the price down and advertise it as a Blu-Ray player.

XBox One GT: TheBadazz
PSN GT: TheBadazzOG
Nintendo Switch #:
5725-3994-1005
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #22
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

My biggest thing is the HDD. Xbox had a drastic upgrade, 100gb. PS3 only upgraded 20gb. And as EG said Xbox has been in the market a lot longer. The Halo edition is the Premium with a different color so there are still 3 SKU out there.

Also if I'm in the market for the PS3 no way I buy the $499.99. Buy the $399.99, buy my own HDD and in the long run have a much bigger HDD and still save money in the process.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #23
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

I'm stunned the 40GB won't have any backwards compatibility. That's a pretty big jump. I wonder how that'll be spoken to customers. Say Mom and Dad buy the $400 PS3 for Billy, he gets it home, puts in PS2 game, and nothing. OUCH. Now, had it been this way from the beginning, that's another story like the 360, most know it's not BC. But taking it out of the PS3, ugh, bad move. I thought it would have at least software emulation.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 10-05-2007, 01:09 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrams
Extreme I can understand why Sony is doing the SKU shuffle... they are basically trying to squeeze every dime out of the PS2 sales and not canabalize there old stock.... while trying to find the optimum price point for their new system that maintains the value/appearance of the being the best (most powerful) product of the three consoles....

the 360 various SKU's have solely to do with MS/Bill Gates business plan.... the have many versions of the MS office and Vista... that's nothing new... but for folks to rib PS3/Sony for being wishy washy is a reach.... I'd like to be clear... I really don't mind the 360 folks clowning PS3... I think it's funny... but 360 peeps really shouldn't talk until every last questionalble "XBOX3FIXME" is out of every owners hands and trashed....
You gotta stop with the bold man. Please...

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »