Home

Devs should abandon 360... and other piracy comments

This is a discussion on Devs should abandon 360... and other piracy comments within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: Devs should abandon 360... and other piracy comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlaidher
does the 360 have a web browser?
No.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 8

There are more people with 360s who buy games than download them so why on earth would a company want to screw over a large revenue stream? Do you have any knowledge of economics/business at all or do you simply look at the moral aspect of it and figure that they need to "show those thieving punks" they won't put up with anyone getting games for free?

GTA4's xbox360 sales were HUGE with hundreds of millions of dollars in sales...so Rockstar shouldn't develop on the 360 because some downloaded it before it was officially released and then later on? Yeah that makes sense. So many companies would go out of business if they stopped making games for the 360.

If I created games for a living I wouldn't give a rip knowing some would d/l it since I would know most are buying it. Another thing people need to realize is not everyone who d/ls a game does so just to get it for free but often does a "try before buy" deal and they will then go and buy the game. Another portion d/l games they would NEVER buy but are curious to try them out.

People blow up the "piracy" issue waaaaaaay too much and act like companies are making no money because a small % are downloading the games.

Oh and another thing I am sure people will say is if there was no piracy that games would cost less.....BS.

Before anyone says "well I am sure you would not like your work being used for free" and (in case my comment about how I wouldn't care if I made games is not enough) to that I say I am in a business where time and effort are occasionally given to people and they take it and use it elsewhere without compensating my office. Like the game/entertainment industry though, the business is doing just fine and you simply DEAL with the "negative" since the cases are in the minority.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:33 AM   #43
Banned

OVR: 17

Well I'm someone who while working in sales chased a f'ing thief through the park after he tried to steal some stuff. So yeah I am biased or whatever the word is to do with morals.

And I probably was going too far, but what I would like to see is devs at least threaten this (or in a nicer way, tell MS how bad it is to lose so many sales) and MS to tighten up their security.

It won't take long for this type of piracy to get even more mainstream and as serious as my original post sounded.

I mean, you've just had the devs (forgot their names sorry) of Pixel Junk Monsters say they won't be doing PSP again after the massive piracy of Monsters PSP. I'm sure many other devs think the same and it's why they never even bothered with PSP.

So no, don't abandon, but threaten to do so if it isn't fixed. It is WAY too easy to mod a 360 (and Wii, PSP and DS).
Old 10-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #44
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

If they were losing a significant amount of money due to people modding their 360's then your point would make sense but since they aren't they won't leave the system where a vast majority of their sales come from or threaten that they will stop making games for it.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 10-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #45
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral50
It won't take long for this type of piracy to get even more mainstream and as serious as my original post sounded.

I mean, you've just had the devs (forgot their names sorry) of Pixel Junk Monsters say they won't be doing PSP again after the massive piracy of Monsters PSP. I'm sure many other devs think the same and it's why they never even bothered with PSP.

So no, don't abandon, but threaten to do so if it isn't fixed. It is WAY too easy to mod a 360 (and Wii, PSP and DS).
Again, it goes back to what I said about how piracy doesn't matter when enough people are buying games.

So, the PixelJunk guy pull the piracy card to explain away poor sales caused by many factors. Who's fault is it really when a developer failed to properly judge the market for their game? Perhaps charging twice as much as the HD PS3 version had a little to do with that too. Many of their potential customers may already own it on the PS3.

Besides, it's far easier and less technical to pirate games on the Nintendo DS, yet that is a healthy platform with robust software sales. Of course, the DS is a more refined system, with it's own unique experiences and focus. Sony really doesn't seem to know what they want the psp to be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #46
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
Again, it goes back to what I said about how piracy doesn't matter when enough people are buying games.

So, the PixelJunk guy pull the piracy card to explain away poor sales caused by many factors. Who's fault is it really when a developer failed to properly judge the market for their game? Perhaps charging twice as much as the HD PS3 version had a little to do with that too. Many of their potential customers may already own it on the PS3.

Besides, it's far easier and less technical to pirate games on the Nintendo DS, yet that is a healthy platform with robust software sales. Of course, the DS is a more refined system, with it's own unique experiences and focus. Sony really doesn't seem to know what they want the psp to be.
I think if the developer of PixelJunk Monsters was so worried about piracy, they should have made the game available as a PSN DD exclusively where that content can't be hacked/cracked. It's a simple as that. The thing is that as long as there is physical media, it will always be pirated. I have not heard of any digital media being in gaming of being hacked yet so this could solve a lot of the piracy issues as we move within the next 10 or so years into the digital age.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:48 AM   #47
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearsX8
I have not heard of any digital media being in gaming of being hacked yet
Steam, DSI/WiiWare

But DSI/WiiWare had pretty much zero copy protection, for WiiWare all the copy protection was in the OS. Steam and the PC are a completely different beast, so it's no surprise.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:00 AM   #48
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

I can't believe this thread is still going...

it's not as easy to mod a 360 as you'd think. you certainly can't do it yourself without good technical knowledge and the right parts. this is a non-issue. it really is.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »