Home

xbox 720 to be a tablet?

This is a discussion on xbox 720 to be a tablet? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: xbox 720 to be a tablet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
I think it would be more like the worst of both worlds, but to each his own.
Why would you think that when we are seeing hd portable device such as the ipad. I see this as hd screen that I can take on the road or in other rooms in my house. You still have a next console that is more portable.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #18
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Why would you think that when we are seeing hd portable device such as the ipad. I see this as hd screen that I can take on the road or in other rooms in my house. You still have a next console that is more portable.
So basically, a Microsoft iPad that only plays games?

Yeah, that would work.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 10-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #19
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Dude have you played games on an iPad or iPod?? It's almost laughable how much control you would be giving up if this was their ONLY console. Making this the only option for their next gen machine would be a complete joke. Again, if they want this to be their PORTABLE option, then sure. But their ONLY option? MS might as well just hand Sony and Nintendo their portion of the market now and save themselves the embarrassment.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #20
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
So basically, a Microsoft iPad that only plays games?

Yeah, that would work.
At the very least, I could see MS looking to get the Xbox Live platform on tablets that other companies make. If done correctly, it would be a nice wildcard for an Apple tablet competitor.

I just wonder how much re-evaluating MS will do of their motives in the home console market after this generation. They got in because they feared that convergence devices in the living room would pull people away from their PC domination. So they spent billions going after Sony while the smartphone/portable market turned out to be that device they feared. That miscalculation is made even worse with Apple and Google leading the way.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #21
MVP

UNC_Pete's Arena

OVR: 22

I think people are missing the point here. The console would be a tablet but would also utilize connections to hook up to a TV and use controllers. It'd be like having a super low profile Xbox 360/PS3 that was portable where you can play games on the tablet if you wanted and take it wherever you want. You'd also have the ability to play games in the usual fashion with a controller and a TV. The article was mentioning wireless HDMI as a connection to a TV.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
Dude have you played games on an iPad or iPod?? It's almost laughable how much control you would be giving up if this was their ONLY console. Making this the only option for their next gen machine would be a complete joke. Again, if they want this to be their PORTABLE option, then sure. But their ONLY option? MS might as well just hand Sony and Nintendo their portion of the market now and save themselves the embarrassment.
So, your assumption that you cant use wireless controllers with this tablet?
Old 10-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #23
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
So, your assumption that you cant use wireless controllers with this tablet?
If I have to use wireless controllers then I want that thing hooked up to the big screen. And before you say "well, you can hook a tablet up to the big screen", I have no interest in hooking something up to my screen that can't put out graphics that look even 1/6 as good as what I get on a console. And even if this thing wouldn't come out for another five years, it will be nowhere near as powerful graphics wise as a console would be.

I'll repeat this AGAIN for you: if MS wants into the portable market, then by all means, make a tablet. But REPLACING their console with one is a terrible idea, plain and simple.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 7

Both consoles now have a really bad over heating problem. If they use moderate quad or hex core processors with DX 11 graphics accelerators, that thing would be a mobile fire starter. Even the mobile version of those hardwares would probably still draw more power than the consoles do now. It would have to be a lot weaker of a unit on order to make it portable and not a fire hazard.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »