Home

PSBlog: DIRECTV and PlayStation Bring NFL Sunday Ticket to PS3

This is a discussion on PSBlog: DIRECTV and PlayStation Bring NFL Sunday Ticket to PS3 within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #17

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: PSBlog: DIRECTV and PlayStation Bring NFL Sunday Ticket to PS3

One thing Ive yet to hear is regarding the payment options. Is this only available in one lump sum or can someone make monthly payments towards it like I did when I actually had Directv?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #18
MVP

49UNCFan's Arena

OVR: 2

This is Sony's chance to takeover.

Price Drop,NFL season starting(League pass),Madden releasing.

Advertise a package

160GB PS3 2 controllers,HDMI,Madden,Direct(Already subscribed)-$349.99
Not subscribed $599.99

Subscribe and Follow! Thanks!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #19
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Yeah, it would be nice if there was a way for me to just pay for the app.

The deal would be better like this:

- People who already have NFL Sunday Ticket get this for free on their PS3.
- People without NFL Sunday Ticket/DirecTV in general would have to pay $100 for the PS3 app and access to it (though only on the PS3).

For someone who doesn't have DirecTV, it's a bummer I have no chance at accessing this. I'm glad they added it, though. The PS3 is truly becoming a massive entertainment system, nearly to the point where it's all you need to outsource any of your media.

By the way, this is off-topic as far as the PS3 app goes, but why is NFL Sunday Ticket $340 per season? You get less than 250 games in the year, and it's about/over three times as much as MLB.TV, which basically has 15 games daily during its season. I know Sunday Ticket isn't an Internet package so it can't compare directly, but I just think that's a pretty steep price in general.
NFL is in demand, MLB is not. I would pay $340 for the NFL ticket before I would pay $99 for baseball.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #20
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14

NFL Sunday Ticket is amazing. You get fantasy tracking, red zone, and all the games are in HD. For a fan that is out of market it is definitely worth it. If I go to a bar 10 times a year a spend $20 bucks on refreshments while I am there I have spent $200 already. For $350, I can watch in my home all games in HD. Plus they have 30 minute recaps of every play of every game. It is worth it to me as football is my passion.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #21
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by choadler
NFL is in demand, MLB is not. I would pay $340 for the NFL ticket before I would pay $99 for baseball.
Again, depends on who you talk to. If quantity is the measure, then have at it. But if one is to tell me that baseball is an inferior sport and is worth a smaller cost, then I would question his/her integrity when it comes to evaluating opinions in general.

Football is probably in high demand because of its low "supply" of games per season, at 16. I'm not saying they should raise the number of games, I'm just saying that's probably the reason. Baseball has 162 games a year, and I watch anywhere between 1-4 games a day on MLB.TV. While other people are saying they're getting their money's worth with $20 a week (more like a "day of games") with the Sunday NFL Ticket, I'm probably spending around $.70 a day to watch the baseball games I want to watch, if that. Now if quality was objective, I don't think football is considered to be nearly thirty times better than baseball, or that much more valuable when it comes to watching the games.

Point blank, this is not a debate about which sport is better (I love watching football immensely, probably more than baseball on TV). This is me finally seeing the price for Sunday Ticket, and me saying, "Holy hell you're expensive!" I can compare it to baseball based on the matter of it being a packaged deal, and on that front it's quite a lot.

So what is Sunday Ticket like? Can you watch games on your computer? Can you have four games up at one time? Do you think the PS3 version will allow this, with games available to watch archived, or pause and rewind while you're watching it live? There's a lot I'd have to consider before throwing down $340 for something like this plus the extra $50 for it to work on PS3, which is ridiculous (for the record, there was no extra charge for MLB.TV to be on PS3... and that should have no bearing on demand to watch the sport).
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2011, 12:36 AM   #22
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16

I get the feeling I would prefer not to see every Dolphins game live this year, especially with a Dualshock i my hands, they might end up looking like the ones posted in the other thread.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #23
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18

This is $100 more than an actual ps3..........
Old 08-18-2011, 02:00 AM   #24
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMhester04
This is $100 more than an actual ps3..........
There, that's a good way of putting it. And the PS3 is a one-time payment.

The real killer for me is the $50 to play it on PS3. Again, MLB.TV was a free transition/adaptation along with its subscription (which is substantially cheaper, but I'm not going to get into that argument). I'd love to have this, but the price is far too steep. I'm just surprised people regularly and annually go for this deal at its price is all, especially when you put the PS3 price point into comparison.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »