Home

Xbox live hackings

This is a discussion on Xbox live hackings within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #33
Living in this tube

Skerik's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Xbox live hackings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
There are a lot of people dealing with this on OS alone. Makes me very worried about my account now.

Any ideas from MS how it even takes place or how people are chosen?
No and no. Apparently it's mostly based around buying FIFA stuff.

As an update, I called MS this morning after changing my password online and then recovering my gamertag. They gave me two options - either they kick off an internal investigation, or I have my bank do it. If MS does it, your account is effectively locked for 25 business days according to the woman who helped me, but I have a friend at work whose brother is still using a temp account two months after MS started his investigation. The woman said that since I was able to recover my gamertag and I had changed my password, I should just tell my CC company that there were fraudulent charges. She gave me a reference number to give to them, as proof from MS that they recognize the charges as fraudulent.

The thing I don't understand - everything they buy is tied to my account, right? So what's the point of all this, other than annoyance? It's not like they purchased one of the family packs to be able to transfer the data, and even if they did there would be a record of which account the data was transferred to. So....what's the point. What is the end game here, hackers.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #34
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerik
No and no. Apparently it's mostly based around buying FIFA stuff.

As an update, I called MS this morning after changing my password online and then recovering my gamertag. They gave me two options - either they kick off an internal investigation, or I have my bank do it. If MS does it, your account is effectively locked for 25 business days according to the woman who helped me, but I have a friend at work whose brother is still using a temp account two months after MS started his investigation. The woman said that since I was able to recover my gamertag and I had changed my password, I should just tell my CC company that there were fraudulent charges. She gave me a reference number to give to them, as proof from MS that they recognize the charges as fraudulent.

The thing I don't understand - everything they buy is tied to my account, right? So what's the point of all this, other than annoyance? It's not like they purchased one of the family packs to be able to transfer the data, and even if they did there would be a record of which account the data was transferred to. So....what's the point. What is the end game here, hackers.
Yeah, that makes little sense.

So it all ties to FIFA and the Ultimate Card thing?

Ugh, I just don't get it. It makes such little sense why people do this.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 10-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #35
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
There are a lot of people dealing with this on OS alone. Makes me very worried about my account now.

Any ideas from MS how it even takes place or how people are chosen?
regardless of how it's happening, MS could really implement more security.

The most obvious is that credit card details should be erased when a GT is recovered on a different console. How about asking for the 3 digit code on the back of your CC for validation. Maybe implement a security code that must be answered when calling in for customer service, which will help cut down on some social engineering.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #36
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Yeah, that makes little sense.

So it all ties to FIFA and the Ultimate Card thing?

Ugh, I just don't get it. It makes such little sense why people do this.
I don't own Fifa, so that wasn't it for me...though MS had refunded the charges before I even called, so it ended up ok.

Thankfully I wasn't playing online at all during that period, I was able to have my GT offline and play Deus Ex
Old 10-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #37
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
I don't own Fifa, so that wasn't it for me...though MS had refunded the charges before I even called, so it ended up ok.

Thankfully I wasn't playing online at all during that period, I was able to have my GT offline and play Deus Ex
I'm unable to remove my CC from my account. It keeps giving me an error. Is it better to call or do it from the system itself?

I really don't want this happening, have enough S going on in my life to have this just pile on top of it. LOL

EDIT - got it removed. Whew.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Last edited by ExtremeGamer; 10-20-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #38
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount

The most obvious is that credit card details should be erased when a GT is recovered on a different console. How about asking for the 3 digit code on the back of your CC for validation. Maybe implement a security code that must be answered when calling in for customer service, which will help cut down on some social engineering.
Some of these options are usually opted against because the cost of fraud could be less than the lost sales the options cause.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #39
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

So why am I not seeing any news on this on mainstream gaming sites? I see a lot of non-mainstream covering this... tons of forums across the web.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #40
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount

Between hearing more of this not just on OS but also other boards and the PSN issue back in the late Spring, at this point we can't even have our credit/debit card info saved on these machines. I'm going to just take my CC info off of XBL too and make sure its off of PSN. Just purchasing cards to buy my online stuff. People amaze me as they live for the thrill of stealing from others.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »