Home

PlayStation 4 Discussion

This is a discussion on PlayStation 4 Discussion within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #4137
MVP

J-Clutch1's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: PlayStation 4 Discussion

I decided to not get the PS4 at launch, I'll be spending money on college applications instead..
Old 07-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #4138
Pro

basketballer0385's Arena

OVR: 5

I can't wait for ps4 I plan on getting NCAA in a few weeks and gta haven't decided for what platform yet I know however I will be playing my ps4 and then whichever other one in my bedroom so I can't wait for gta and ps4

http://www.twitch.tv/baller0385
Old 07-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #4139
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by V!n$an!+y
I decided to not get the PS4 at launch, I'll be spending money on college applications instead..
Priorities...
Old 07-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #4140
Rookie

ps2sportgamer's Arena

OVR: 5

For those who cant afford this, checking account bonuses are your friend lol. And I'm dead serious too. I know I hit up Huntington and Bank of America for a cool $300. Not even trying to spam this board lol. Keepin it real

http://checkinghelp.com/bank-promotions/
Old 07-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #4141
MVP

MrSerendipity's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawdeal28
due to money issues it looks like i wont be able to get a ps4 at launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenoob
I'm on the same boat. I'm going to be real upset if I can't play battlefield 4 because i don't plan on buying it for current gen. It sucks to be a broke college student
Quote:
Originally Posted by V!n$an!+y
At least you guys are mature enough to realize it's not in the books right now, rather than sending yourself in to debt like a lot of people would do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #4142
Pro

Trapper700's Arena

OVR: 3

For those of you who don't know, Sony is actually going to make all those gold trophies we've been earning worth something. They will be auctioning off items from the commercial using PSN gold trophies as the currency.

https://www.bidforgreatness.com/ is the auction site. The first auction will start at 1pm Pacific / 4pm Eastern today.

All actions will start at 1pm Pacific, with 1 item available to bid on each day every day until July 30. The site put a notice up saying that gold trophies will not be removed from your PSN account. Trophies used for bidding will be replenished after not winning an auction.

Schedule and list of crap for auction:

July 16: Black Hand Outfit from Killzone Shadow Fall ("EYES DO NOT LIGHT UP" )
July 17: Infected Clicker Costume from The Last of Us (it's a female costume )
July 18: End Scene Concept Art
July 19: Dragonborn Dagger from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (polymer plastic)
July 20: Witch Doctor Mojo from Diablo III (polymer plastic bone wand with light-up glass ball at end)
July 21: Crane Scene Concept Art
July 22: Witch Doctor Cursed Skull from Diablo III (polymer plastic)
July 23: Delsin Rowe Outfit from inFamous: Second Son
July 24: Dragonborn Shield from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (polymer plastic, "DOES NOT STOP ARROWS/SPEAR THRUSTS/DRAGON BREATH")
July 25: Capt. Kenway Cutlass from Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag ("heavy, almost sharp, steel")
July 26: Dragonborn Sword from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (hard plastic)
July 27: Dragonborn Stalhrim Mace from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (hollow plastic)
July 28: Witch Doctor Outfit from Diablo III
July 29: Helghast Sniper Outfit from Killzone Shadow Fall (eyes do light up)
July 30: Capt. Kenway Outfit from Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag

For anyone that glanced over this, I want to mention they're actually in real life items, don't assume they're for Home or something.

These items are all showcased here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUjnbqr0DLc
Old 07-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #4143
Pro

Trapper700's Arena

So, Sony with this campaign:
  • gave major exposure to properties by Ubisoft, Activision and Bethesda (even something that might not come on PS4, see Skyrim)
  • uses material (trophies) the community spent time to harvest from playing PS3/Vita games...
  • ...to make the community focused on a PS4 ad campaign site...
  • ...and still keeps the iron hot.

This is some Streetpass Puzzle / Steam Badges level of evil. Ok, this might not rival on the long term the economic fallout that Steam is having from Steam badges, but if you ask me it's a really different thing from having an exclusive Helghast Sniper Outfit with eyes that light up instead of having the possibility to (fail a) kickstart (about) a movie about getting a "one million gamerscore."

If Sony can manage to do a good job of playing the card of "yes, you will be able to trade trophies for perks in future" it might get people playing games on the PS3/Vita and PS4 in a consistent way, more than "you will be able to buff up your gamerscore by playing special advertised events."

It feels like Sony is betting harder on PS4 than they did with PSP, Vita and Move. Hell, with this campaign it looks like they are betting harder on PS4 than PS3 (and mind you that the PS3 was a console they had to sell because it was strategic to move the HD format war towards Blu Ray).
Old 07-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #4144
Pro

Trapper700's Arena

PS4: 14 things we learned at Develop 2013
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...aystation-sony

Quote:
9. PS4 features a new 'connected UX'
Developers can also create more complex tiles complete with game stats, real-time social leader boards, live updates on in-game events, and animated game items or characters. The live tiles can also immediately send the player to a specific mode, game save or challenge, without them having to go through the in-game menu options first.

10. Moving toward a real social network
Players can also immediately join a friend's multiplayer session from the PS4 main menu.
No more unskippable publisher/developer splash screens every time you start a game? Oh god we're in the future and it's beautiful here.

Quote:
11. The Share button and how it works
The most obvious addition to the DualShock 4 controller, apart from the touch pad, is the Share button. Apparently, a long press will take a screenshot of the current action, without interrupting gameplay, while a short press brings up the Share menu. On here there's the option to view, edit and share the last few minutes of gaming footage. PS4 uses a dedicated hardware encoder to continually record the last "several minutes" of footage, without taking any processor resources. So if anything interesting happens, you just hit share and upload the video. The video chip also allows players to live stream their gaming to the wider community. Spectators, meanwhile, will be able to chat to other viewers, or choose to join in the game if they own it themselves. If you don't own it, you can opt to start downloading it while still viewing the live footage. Brown also says that developers will be able to add a selection of spectator commands that the game can dynamically respond to. For example, if the onscreen player is fighting an end-of-level boss, but is low on health, a spectator could click a Heal option to help them out.
This is probably why Sony decided to deal with uStream instead of Twitch! There's no client to broadcaster communication with Twitch. Nicovideo and uStream both have polling functions, the basis of communication that is required for something like this healing to be implemented.

But like someone else said before, I wish that taking a screenshot just required a quick press, and the menu required you to hold it.

Quote:
12. Seamless Remote Play
The PS4 implementation of Remote Play should be much smoother than PS3's thanks to the built-in video chip, which means there's no performance overhead for the game itself – plus the Gakiai technology is used from streaming so it's apparently very low latency. According to Brown, PS4 also supports a local multi-user lobby, so up to four players can connect to the same PS4 at once – and all saved games are bound to the user not the device.

13. Seamless companion apps
Meanwhile, the PlayStation App for iOS and Android devices allows you to browse friends lists, PSN options and the PlayStation Store as well as controlling your PS4; so you can tell it to start downloading a new game while you're on the bus home. And of course, Developers are also able to build their own companion apps, offering 'second screen' experiences to enhance the main screen action or providing remote functions so players can, say, tweak their Fifa teams via their smartphones, then get home and try out the new formation on the console. We're already seeing this happening, but it's likely to be a lot more common in the next generation.
I'm hoping this works well with a Vita. I remember reading the other day, too, about how the Witcher devs were excited about the control setup they created for Witcher 3 when playing on the Vita.

Last edited by Trapper700; 07-16-2013 at 12:18 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »