Home

Steam Box

This is a discussion on Steam Box within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #41
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Steam Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
I can't wait to try it out. That is one funky design.
Same! Looks expensive though...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #42

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
So for our own first prototype Steam Machine ( the one we're shipping to 300 Steam users ), we've chosen to build something special. The prototype machine is a high-end, high-performance box, built out of off-the-shelf PC parts. It is also fully upgradable, allowing any user to swap out the GPU, hard drive, CPU, even the motherboard if you really want to. Apart from the custom enclosure, anyone can go and build exactly the same machine by shopping for components and assembling it themselves. And we expect that at least a few people will do just that. (We'll also share the source CAD files for our enclosure, in case people want to replicate it as well.)

And to be clear, this design is not meant to serve the needs of all of the tens of millions of Steam users. It may, however, be the kind of machine that a significant percentage of Steam users would actually want to purchase - those who want plenty of performance in a high-end living room package. Many others would opt for machines that have been more carefully designed to cost less, or to be tiny, or super quiet, and there will be Steam Machines that fit those descriptions.

Here are the specifications for Valve's 300 prototypes.

The 300 prototype units will ship with the following components:
GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
CPU: some boxes with Intel : i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU)
Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high
http://kotaku.com/valves-first-steam...ful-1441267520
Old 10-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #43
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Gearing up to be a modern Alienware IMO. Isn't going to be an enthusiast box in the least, due to $$.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #44

ubernoob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Gearing up to be a modern Alienware IMO. Isn't going to be an enthusiast box in the least, due to $$.
It's pretty cool that they're releasing the CAD designs. They're really going for what basically is an open-source console.

That's a small footprint for what that machine has in it, hopefully they don't run into heat issues.

I also highly doubt that they will be as overpriced as Alienware and the other boutique PC stores.

I'm definitely intrigued by this, especially considering the other things going on. A Titan/780/680 is pretty much overpowered for playing at 1080p but with 4K starting to grow among the other developments (SSDs getting cheaper, etc.) this could take off in a big way. Then again it could flounder, what do I know.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #45
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

The 300 prototype units will ship with the following components:
GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
CPU: some boxes with Intel : i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU)
Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high P

I very interested in it now, this thing has some serious specs far beyond the next-gen consoles. It would be a waste of power to play Linux games on these machines, gotta get Windows 8 x64 on their to play some graphic intensive games like BF4 and NBA 2K14. I'm willing to pay $1000-$1200 for one if they live up to the hype.

Last edited by ghettogeeksta; 10-04-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #46

ubernoob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
I very interested in it now, this thing has some serious specs far beyond the next-gen consoles. It would be a waste of power to play Linux games on these machines, gotta get Windows 8 x64 on their to play some graphic intensive games like BF4 and NBA 2K14. I'm willing to pay $1000-$1200 for one if they live up to the hype.
Windows 7 maybe. Never windows 8. What an abomination of an OS that is.

Anyways, hopefully they keep up with the Linux push. A gradual shift to Linux can be nothing but fantastic for gamers. Linux is infinitely better than Windows but games keeping only Windows support is (sadly) what keeps me on the OS.

Hopefully SteamBoxes and SteamOS push the developers and gaming communities into the Linux future.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #47
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob
Windows 7 maybe. Never windows 8. What an abomination of an OS that is.

Anyways, hopefully they keep up with the Linux push. A gradual shift to Linux can be nothing but fantastic for gamers. Linux is infinitely better than Windows but games keeping only Windows support is (sadly) what keeps me on the OS.

Hopefully SteamBoxes and SteamOS push the developers and gaming communities into the Linux future.
Ill keep the Linux OS on there and just dual boot Win8 x64. I know Windows 8 UI sucks (especially on non touch screen devices) but I think its a little better for gaming.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #48

ubernoob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
Ill keep the Linux OS on there and just dual boot Win8 x64. I know Windows 8 UI sucks (especially on non touch screen devices) but I think its a little better for gaming.
Right now I'll agree that Windows is better for gaming, for sure. That is only due to the fact that most games are made for Windows and then Mac/Linux versions are ports.

nVidia has admitted they dumb their Linux drivers down already to keep parity with Windows machines - that's why I'm hoping that SteamOS catches on in a big way and Linux becomes the #1 choice for gaming as it should be. There's no reason for them to do it now, though, as the Linux install base is relatively small.

In terms of speed, flexibility and safety though? Linux blows Windows away.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »