Home

Steam Box

This is a discussion on Steam Box within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #57
Banned

metalmilitia623's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Steam Box

I don't have a need for the box itself due to already having a tower of power of a PC but the controller intrigues me a lot. I have never been very good with a kb/m setup and have always prefered controllers. Problem is when playing something like CS:GO you stand no chance at all with a controller vs kb/m players.

This controller seems like it could possibly close that gap some, obviously you will always have it better with mouse aiming but this still could be very close.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #58
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

But still just thumb dexterity, I honestly don't see that changing at all.

Interested in trying the controller but don't see Steam OS doing a whole lot without significantly more publisher support and there are some that will never sign on.

Sent from my VZW Note 3
Old 12-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #59
Banned

metalmilitia623's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo

Interested in trying the controller but don't see Steam OS doing a whole lot without significantly more publisher support and there are some that will never sign on.

Sent from my VZW Note 3
Yes it is thumb dexterity but there will be way more precision on the touchpad than you have with a joystick. Remember PC aiming is just like using the mouse on your desktop. Point and click. Console aiming is different because it's not precise really especially at high sensitivity which is required to do quick 180s to defend yourself. The quick 180 is the biggest flaw the joystick has for aiming because you can either be able to aim precisely in front of you or you turn the sensitivity way up so you can turn around quick but now it becomes herder to aim in front of you.

If you can do the 180s with the track pad and still aim precisely it will be an awesome middle ground.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #60
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo

Sent from my VZW Note 3
Every game will be playable on Windows too, so I'd probably rather have a full end box with Windows running Steam Big Picture vs. one just running Steam OS. Just feel like it'd limit you more, and it's not like these boxes are super cheap or anything....

Maybe if it was 100 bucks or something and could stream all Windows games I'd consider it...
Old 12-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #61
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Yup. Give me a dongle or Roku - sized box to receive a stream and connect a controller to. Enthusiasts aren't giving up games from EA, Bethesda, Blizzard and others to go all - in with Valve.

Sent from my VZW Note 3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #62
Banned

metalmilitia623's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Every game will be playable on Windows too, so I'd probably rather have a full end box with Windows running Steam Big Picture vs. one just running Steam OS. Just feel like it'd limit you more, and it's not like these boxes are super cheap or anything....

Maybe if it was 100 bucks or something and could stream all Windows games I'd consider it...
If I'm not mistaken they will have lots of options when looking to buy a steam box as they will not be made in house by VALVe (my understanding) but instead will be produced by others. My best guesses are the likes of Dell, HP, Asus, etc.

I know the ones being sent out now for beta are made by VALVe but I think when they go retail they will not be and just the controller will be made by VALVe.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #63
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue

Valve would need to fix Big Picture mode for that to happen first. It's way too unstable.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #64
Banned

metalmilitia623's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman42
Valve would need to fix Big Picture mode for that to happen first. It's way too unstable.
God I hate when I right click on steam and go to click friends but miss and hit big picture. Then it becomes a race to see how fast I can close steam, lol.

Imo I see no use for BP, I'll just load my games from the regular steam interface rather than having another memory hog of a program running.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »