Home

Gameplay or Graphics?

This is a discussion on Gameplay or Graphics? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Gameplay or Graphics, Etc.
I want a game that plays like real football and the other stuff doesn't matter as much 115 93.50%
Its all about graphics and stadiums. Gameplay is not a big deal 8 6.50%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2006, 09:46 PM   #33
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Gameplay or Graphics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut XX
I have yet to play a game and stop and wonder why the sun is not in the correct position, or if the stadium looks realistic. The only reason why I stop is due to a gameplay flaw. It is obvious that EA's target audience is from age 5 to 10 (really 7-17). Have you ever wondered why EA Tiburon has ignored us hardcore gamers for years? It is basic business 101; look at your competitors and their product, establish a market, choose a target group. Let's be honest, they just started to have competition from Sega 2K football/Visual Concepts (2k4 and 2K5). Gameday football and 98 something football was just plain awful. The market is already there (us hardcore gamers) WHO HAVE BEEN PURCHASING THEIR SUBPAR GAMES FOR YEARS. Once again, lets be honest, yes we hate the fact that EA has produced some bad games over the past several years but we continue to buy them. EA knows this and will continue to force feed us crap games and we will open wide and swallow anyway. Now that leads me to the target group (casual gamers). EA is just like any greedy big business, they want to appeal to everyone. They know that they have us hardcore gamers by the short and curlys, and there focus is younger kids and people that just want to become more familiar with their product. The logical way to appeal to them is through graphics, arcade style play, and crap like madden cards. I must commend the NCAA crew for making marginal improvements instead of regressing like Madden. The hard facts are that EA has not made any major gameplay changes in several years, and has not listened to our issues with their games; why do you believe that they will start now (remember, no competition)? If they drop the ball again this year, we should boycott them and see if that gets their attention.
I couldn't agree with you more. It would be great if we could all go to Ea Main office and protest there company if they put out a crap game this year. I have been playing Madden and College football since it all began and every year I say to myslef O don;t worry they will fix it next year and guess what I say the same thing the next year b/c they don't do enough gameplay fixing. Mario running has been in this game for how long now?
Old 04-24-2006, 10:37 PM   #34
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10

I just realized that I never answered the initial reason for this post...GAMEPLAY!

That being said, IMO, great gameplay (AI) can be programmed on a PS2. The excuse that it takes time to learn the hardware in order to code great AI is bull. The increase in hardware really only helps in the graphics and animation department. If a programmer writes good code, they can transfer it from one platform to another with a few modifications here and there. Code stating "if ball carrier is near 3 defenders then all three defensemen should attempt the tackle". This code should work on the PS1 actually.

I do have some programming experience but I am no expert and I do not claim to be. What I stated above is my opinion and not a fact. I will say that programming is very hard and I am sure coding for a game is 1000X harder than creating some financial product software. So at the end of the day, I think EA needs to hire more talented programmers and if they don't, we will continue to get this garbarge year after year.

I hope that the next generation of video game programmers are hardcore gamers first and not programmers first (which I am assuming most of these people are).
Old 04-25-2006, 03:53 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfansiny79
I am glad that almost all of you guys think like I do. I wish there was a way where EA could hear our opinons and do something about it. I think all of us would agree that a good football game consits of good gameplay firsts then graphics. There is nothing wrong with diffrent features every year in these football games, but the actual football gameplay should always be there main focus, then the graphics and create a team etc. It's 2006 and we should be getting closer to how football is played in real life.
..I love text based titles..The only true sims out there, since the player has no contrrol of their players.. I loved Lance Haffner football in the 80's on my commodore..& would stop the chessing, minus quiting ofcourse...

Audio set up:
Benchmark DAC1
headphones: Balanced Sony SA5000/Sen 650 AKG 340
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2006, 03:55 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrivera34
I just realized that I never answered the initial reason for this post...GAMEPLAY!

That being said, IMO, great gameplay (AI) can be programmed on a PS2. The excuse that it takes time to learn the hardware in order to code great AI is bull. The increase in hardware really only helps in the graphics and animation department. If a programmer writes good code, they can transfer it from one platform to another with a few modifications here and there. Code stating "if ball carrier is near 3 defenders then all three defensemen should attempt the tackle". This code should work on the PS1 actually.

I do have some programming experience but I am no expert and I do not claim to be. What I stated above is my opinion and not a fact. I will say that programming is very hard and I am sure coding for a game is 1000X harder than creating some financial product software. So at the end of the day, I think EA needs to hire more talented programmers and if they don't, we will continue to get this garbarge year after year.

I hope that the next generation of video game programmers are hardcore gamers first and not programmers first (which I am assuming most of these people are).
Sorry, AI is the last thing on EA's mind...Good AI doesn't sell Football games..The majority of buyers don't care, & probally like it easy..

Audio set up:
Benchmark DAC1
headphones: Balanced Sony SA5000/Sen 650 AKG 340
Old 04-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolbubbaice
Sorry, AI is the last thing on EA's mind...Good AI doesn't sell Football games..The majority of buyers don't care, & probally like it easy..
You got it right that most people like it easier to beat, my friends brother always gets Madden, puts it on the easiest mode and then just runs up 70-0 and 80-3 games vs the cpu and loves it. He can play hours that way. Then he plays us and he just absolutely hates it because a 21-17 game to him is just a real pain in the rear.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 04-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #38
Pro

OVR: 7

Well Madden/Ncaa does have arcade and sim option in the game. Why don't they really start making a diffrence in the options.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:45 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 2

Of course I want great gameplay but when you put realistic great graphics in enhances the fun factor. I want the game to resemble their real life counterparts. Is it wrong for wanting a game to look realistic as possible? I can't wait until we have CG-ish looking graphics.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:10 PM   #40
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
It's 2006 and Next gen time. I expect both.
I agree completely.

Gameplay is important but graphics are important as well. It adds to the realism when player models and stadiums are accurately rendered.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »