Home

Gameplay or Graphics?

This is a discussion on Gameplay or Graphics? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Gameplay or Graphics, Etc.
I want a game that plays like real football and the other stuff doesn't matter as much 115 93.50%
Its all about graphics and stadiums. Gameplay is not a big deal 8 6.50%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2006, 04:19 PM   #25
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Gameplay or Graphics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
part of me is worried that football videogames have reached their ceiling.
How could you say this when some features of the NFL2K series are still not in Madden (gang tackling jumps to mind) and I doubt they will be in this year's version either. What really needs to happen is EA needs to hire some of the programmers from the 2K series and implement the best parts of both games. But we all know that will never happen.

The problem here is competition, there is none. This will hurt football and baseball (2K baseball is horrible IMO) gaming for years to come.

I have really lost my interest in sports gaming since all of this exclusive crap and I really hope something changes, and SOON! Sports gaming has been a hobby of mine for about 20 years and I am not optimistic about gaming future. So far Next-gen all hype and no substance. We could have seen any of these games made on the original XBox.

All we get from developers are excuses, year after year. How come no baseball game can include 40 man rosters (not sure if it is in this year?) when High Heat had this 5 years ago? What about the true financial decisions that All Star baseball had? Gang Tackling? How come we can't get weekly roster updates (Madden PC had this years ago)? ... etc, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2006, 04:23 PM   #26
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrivera34
The problem here is competition, there is none. This will hurt football and baseball (2K baseball is horrible IMO) gaming for years to come.

I have really lost my interest in sports gaming since all of this exclusive crap and I really hope something changes, and SOON! Sports gaming has been a hobby of mine for about 20 years and I am not optimistic about gaming future. So far Next-gen all hype and no substance. We could have seen any of these games made on the original XBox.

All we get from developers are excuses, year after year. How come no baseball game can include 40 man rosters (not sure if it is in this year?) when High Heat had this 5 years ago? What about the true financial decisions that All Star baseball had? Gang Tackling? How come we can't get weekly roster updates (Madden PC had this years ago)? ... etc, etc.
You basically wrote the response I had in my head and answered your question for yourself.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 04-24-2006, 04:30 PM   #27
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrivera34
How could you say this when some features of the NFL2K series are still not in Madden (gang tackling jumps to mind) and I doubt they will be in this year's version either. What really needs to happen is EA needs to hire some of the programmers from the 2K series and implement the best parts of both games. But we all know that will never happen.

Amen
Old 04-24-2006, 05:38 PM   #28
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

I just wanted to add 1 more thing. I want true AI improvements. Heck I want true AI.
What I mean is EA programmed the CPU "AI" to cheat to one side , the side the human team was running. Then if you flipped the play the "AI" switched sides also. So instead of true AI improvements to fix this EA adds playmaker run switching.
Also Football video games in no way IMO have reached the ceiling. Like what was said earlier there are things 2K had in thier game that Madden still doesn't have.
I really wish EA the best of luck but some sometimes I wonder if it's not that EA is lazy but rather they just don't have the talent.
Most of you can remember years ago when we were excited every year with a new release of a sports game because there were true improvements. Over the past few years it just hasn't been the same. And I also feel that becasue of this some gamers have been "lulled" to sleep and will gladly accept whatever is released and defend it at all costs.
I'm just tired of seemingly getting the same ole same ole every year. I want to be wowed, blown away, something. I was really looking forward to the Next Gen sports games and so far it's been a huge letdown. Yes they need time etc. but let me ask this. If Madden 08 and NCAA 08 end up being the same song and dance , what then?

Here's hoping we haven't seen anything yet.....
Old 04-24-2006, 05:52 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 14

I would take current gen graphics with next gen AI and physics, not the other way around.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #30
Pro

OVR: 7

When I made this poll I agree that I should of been more clear about the options I gave, but I was trying to make point that great gameplay and average graphics (Not Tecmo Bowl Graphics) is better than Great Graphics and average gameplay, which is what we been getting for the past years. Ea said madden 06 on the 360 will have 10 times the amount of animations as its current gen game , but I didn't see them did you? Lets not forget this is a business and they are going to find the cheapest way to make a game and sell it to us for 60 dollars.

The thing that sucks is that 90% of us on this forum including myself will buy this game every year no matter how much is improved. Lets face that facts Ea got us by the B***s. IF you look in the back of game informer, Madden is always number 1 or 2. Yes there has been good Maddens but every year its number one and last year It wasn't the greatest game.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:44 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 12

Your poll needs a both option because it is next gen and they should improve both.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2006, 09:10 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 2

I have yet to play a game and stop and wonder why the sun is not in the correct position, or if the stadium looks realistic. The only reason why I stop is due to a gameplay flaw. It is obvious that EA's target audience is from age 5 to 10 (really 7-17). Have you ever wondered why EA Tiburon has ignored us hardcore gamers for years? It is basic business 101; look at your competitors and their product, establish a market, choose a target group. Let's be honest, they just started to have competition from Sega 2K football/Visual Concepts (2k4 and 2K5). Gameday football and 98 something football was just plain awful. The market is already there (us hardcore gamers) WHO HAVE BEEN PURCHASING THEIR SUBPAR GAMES FOR YEARS. Once again, lets be honest, yes we hate the fact that EA has produced some bad games over the past several years but we continue to buy them. EA knows this and will continue to force feed us crap games and we will open wide and swallow anyway. Now that leads me to the target group (casual gamers). EA is just like any greedy big business, they want to appeal to everyone. They know that they have us hardcore gamers by the short and curlys, and there focus is younger kids and people that just want to become more familiar with their product. The logical way to appeal to them is through graphics, arcade style play, and crap like madden cards. I must commend the NCAA crew for making marginal improvements instead of regressing like Madden. The hard facts are that EA has not made any major gameplay changes in several years, and has not listened to our issues with their games; why do you believe that they will start now (remember, no competition)? If they drop the ball again this year, we should boycott them and see if that gets their attention.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »