Home

Getting it early...overrated?

This is a discussion on Getting it early...overrated? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
Rookie

CrizzleDizzle13's Arena

OVR: 2
Getting it early...overrated?

I cannot answer this for everyone else. I want to know if people think getting it early is really that great or if it is just the actual getting the game before we should that makes it more fun.

To me, I think it is overrated. I got the game a week early last year from picking it up at a local CompUSA. I was so excited because I called around to about 15 different local stores and finally found one that would sell it. I thought it was amazing to have the game early until I got home and actually started playing.

2 things made it overrated to get it early. 1) No one to play against online. I would wait for at least 4 or 5 hours at a time to try and find someone to play and in 4 days i was only able to play 5 or 6 games online. 2) No rosters. Now to some this might not be a big deal, but I have been playing with the fully named rosters since just about every year. So I was not going to start a dynasty.

Sure it was fun to be able to play, but without named rosters and without anyone online it was a little overrated for how much we try and talk about getting it early. Now, if we were all able to get it early (i.e. EA changes street date) then that is a different story. Some people are saying they would pay hundreds of dollars to get it early. If you have that much money to dispose you could waste it on other stuff, but for most I hope none of you would pay extra to get it early. It is not as great as it seems to get the game a few days or a week ahead of time.

So give me your opinions. No answer is wrong, it is your own opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69
Re: Getting it early...overrated?

Getting it early is no big deal to me because of the rosters. I don't really care to play online or exhibition games, just my dynasty, and I won't do that until I have rosters. So when I do get the game tomorrow, I'll play my standard Auburn/Bama exhibition game, check out some of the new features of the game, and then wait for standard XBox rosters to come out.

Now if this game already had player names in it, I would be right with you guys hunting all over town for a copy.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 07-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

I posted that sort of on my blog. It's the thrill of the hunt for me. Add to that I love the game. I was able to play 4 or 5 games online, and had a blast playing some exhibition games. But like Aukevin said, I won't really get into it until the rosters are out. Finding the game was fun, playing it was even more fun.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 07-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

It's the journey, not the destination! As for me, last year when I got it early I didn't think it was overrated at all, I thought it was great! But this year since I didn't get it early, yeah I think it's overrated

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-17-2006, 12:41 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 5

For me... whenever I get the game, it's going to be the same. Frankly, rosters mean very little to me, and I don't even have Xbox Live (can't get any high speed net except expensive satelite at my house). Half the time I just play exhibition games between two teams, so the game to me plays exactly the same a week early as it will on launch day.

I'd rather have it early, but I didn't go searching around town for it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2006, 12:43 PM   #6
Stop! Homer Time!

theaub's Arena

OVR: 35

Generally, I'd say its good for me, since I do text rosters, so getting it early means I get to do my rosters earlier. However, I've just waited this year and not called anywhere or anything, and I've found it easier.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
Rookie

LAX4531's Arena

OVR: 2

It almost seems to me, getting the game early will ruin the atticipation of gettting the game. And therefor making it not as fun when you get it early. Then when you get it on the street date you are like "wow this game is awesome" and you play it non stop. I always wait, anticipation can be a good thing IMO. Things can always wait.
The NBA sucks.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:47 PM   #8
MVP

redxiiixi's Arena

OVR: 11

I think I get more of a "high" by manually typing in rosters rather than getting the game early. For some reason typing in rosters (only get about 33% of total players, taking 2-3 days) makes me feel like I've earned the right to play the game. This year though I'm gonna download them because I don't have the time. And even though I do want to get the game early, waiting for it builds up my personal hype and makes playing the game for the first that much better. Opening up X-MAs presents is IMO one of the worst feelings ever so I equate it to getting the game early.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »