Home

Boy am I having trouble running the ball (360)

This is a discussion on Boy am I having trouble running the ball (360) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2006, 09:52 PM   #17
MVP

fantasysportsguy's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Boy am I having trouble running the ball (360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirLobo23
Get away from videogame football and start thinking as how the game is played on the field.

Hard counts, mixing in the play action pass, running to the weakside of the defense, the quality of your o-line all play huge factors in your success.

I just played a Heisman game with Georgia and Brown had 189 yds on 25 carries.

Another game with a weaker o-line and poorer RB I might be lucky to get 30yds...

Feel your opponent out to, to see where there strength is on defense...also, does your team have a good o-line...do you have the momentum etc etc....

honestly, this is exactly what i love about this game...no 2 games are the same...good stuff.
Well, its Oklahoma's line, they are quite stout.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:14 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 12

I have been able to run fairly well on 360 Heisman with TCU (even though I'm 2-3). I have three good tailbacks and mix it up between them, inside, outside, etc. I audible and/or switch the run direction if the defense is stacked against the direction of my run. Usually average about 4 or 5 YPC with all the backs combined.

I'd rather drink beer because drinking alot of beers makes you more manly.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:33 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1

You can also pick some of your favorite running plays as audibles and then from the same formation call a pass play then audible to the run. It helps keep the CPU D from knowing that you are running the ball.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:28 PM   #20
Pro

TurboTitan's Arena

OVR: 6

Have you only tried that one game, against UAB, that you couldnt run in? If so, id suggest you give it a few more tries. Noway you should hae to turn up your run blocking and ability that high. Maybe it was just an "off" game for Peterson....i do know the running game takes practice. Its NOTHING like the current gen running game, where you can bounce every play outside and get a guaranteed 5+ yards. I would just keep at it. With Antonio Pittman and Ohio State, i probably average about 160-180 yards rushing against teams like Northern Illinois or Bowling Green. Against the likes of PSU or UM...im closer to the 100-125 mark.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:11 AM   #21
Pro

Bruin26's Arena

OVR: 9

This may sound silly, but do you pull the right trigger right after the hand off to get your speed burst? I ask because I have the habit of doing so, but when I do I don't run as well. I am having to teach myself not to do it and use the right stick to make moves, then pull the trigger for the speed burst at a more appropriate time. In past versions I have used speed burst right away and never used many of the other moves aside from the occasional stiff arm. I got away with it before, but not with this one. Same thing when returning kicks. When having the right trigger on it doesn't seem like the other moves work as well if at all sometimes for me, so it is a learning process for me.

The right stick is a joy to use when running with the ball. Not overdone like cheese or anything, it feel right and makes real football moves.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2006, 03:24 AM   #22

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin26
This may sound silly, but do you pull the right trigger right after the hand off to get your speed burst? I ask because I have the habit of doing so, but when I do I don't run as well. I am having to teach myself not to do it and use the right stick to make moves, then pull the trigger for the speed burst at a more appropriate time. In past versions I have used speed burst right away and never used many of the other moves aside from the occasional stiff arm. I got away with it before, but not with this one. Same thing when returning kicks. When having the right trigger on it doesn't seem like the other moves work as well if at all sometimes for me, so it is a learning process for me.

The right stick is a joy to use when running with the ball. Not overdone like cheese or anything, it feel right and makes real football moves.
From what Ive seen it would appear that the earlier you use the speed burst the quicker the computer will shed blockers and track you down, its best to only use it once youve gotten to the hole and then hit it and go, not right after the hand off.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:32 AM   #23
Pro

Bruin26's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimping219
From what Ive seen it would appear that the earlier you use the speed burst the quicker the computer will shed blockers and track you down, its best to only use it once youve gotten to the hole and then hit it and go, not right after the hand off.

I think that might be dead on and I've learned the hard way. It makes sense that I would be having so much trouble if this is true. It sounds funny, but I have always been so used to using the speed burst right at the hand off that it has been very hard for me to stop. Now that I am learning not to, I am finding that the holes are there more when I don't use it right away. Then I hit the hole, then use it and bam, I can get some nice runs in. The animations really make for a realistic and very fun running game when you do it right.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:48 AM   #24

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin26
I think that might be dead on and I've learned the hard way. It makes sense that I would be having so much trouble if this is true. It sounds funny, but I have always been so used to using the speed burst right at the hand off that it has been very hard for me to stop. Now that I am learning not to, I am finding that the holes are there more when I don't use it right away. Then I hit the hole, then use it and bam, I can get some nice runs in. The animations really make for a realistic and very fun running game when you do it right.

Thanks.
No problem, some people will say by not using it so quickly it allows your blocks to develop, either way it is the way to go, I learned the hard way also but once you get it down it becomes second nature. My biggest problem is I have a scrambling QB and tend to roll out a lot to get away from the pressure and this seems to give me so much time to pass that someone is always open, but thats a problem that can be fixed with sliders I hope.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »