Home

PSU vs WVU

This is a discussion on PSU vs WVU within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #81
MVP

davin's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: PSU vs WVU

I liked what I saw overall, but I do have some concerns:

1. QB accuracy, at one point I think Pat White was 11/12. Pat White was 11/12???? Half of the throws were not easy throws 15 or so yards down the field.

2. A DT INT? Interesting.

3. CPU Running. Now I have seen this a couple times in multiple videos, and I do have a concern. I have seen a couple of times when the CPU cuts AWAY from open field and into contact. I understood a little bit when Beanie Wells did it, but when Noel Divine did, that guy has loads of speed and cut away from reaching the corner where he would have easily blown by the defender.

4. Mascots. Why? Why? The cutscenes in this game appear to be mostly devoted to the mascot. I don't mind the cheerleaders as much, but the dances the mascots (particularly the WVU mascot) were doing were just stupid. If I saw Brutus Buckeye doing those, I would try to have Beanie truck him.

Overall still impressed and the game looks fun, but I think we might be seeing some of the things we will all complain about for a long time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #82
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
look towards the bottom right, above the play clock, you'll see the stats. sometimes it shows the previous play, other times it shows the game stats for a player.
Thanks

Old 05-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #83
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
EA just needs different running styles. A scat back like Noel doesnt run like a big power back and vice versa.
I agree. I don't think any game has really made me feel like I'm playing a different style of player before. Most games cater to the power back or the speed back and the players all run the same way (some just faster). I would love to see a more personalized approach to positions and that definately includes QB.

I really hope EA starts to add different animations for QB releases so we see different throwing motions. They also need to add QB ratings for quick release and short vs. deep accuracy ratings. Imagine how much different recruiting would be if you focused on the short, quick thrower vs. the big and slow power armed QB? That would truly be great.

I'm surprised nobody included the original link and write-up. I saw this on the sportsgamer forums. Note that he says you can turn off "ice the kicker". He also states the game is slower than last year which is opposite of what everyone else has said so far. He does mention the pass rushing is tough on defense. NCAA '08 was lousy on the default settings imo. The cpu OL pass blocked way better than mine. Anyway, here is the write-up.

vetzballin.com - NEW NCAA 09 BETA GAMEPLAY VIDEOS & IMPRESSIONS - WEST VIRGINIA @ PENN STATE
We've just posted a full beta gameplay video from NCAA Football 09 which features a matchup between the West Virginia Mountaineers @ The Penn State Nittany Lions. I also got to witness the ice the kicker feature near the end of the fourth quarter. It was pretty cool, but I can see it may seem a bit cheesy to some, thankfully EA does give us the option to turn it off if you don't like it. For details on this wild four overtime game click HERE

A couple of things I took note of while playing:

- The computer seems to be a much tougher challenge this year on the All American difficulty.

- The amount of interceptions thrown by the computer seems to have been toned down from last year. I didn't have any games where I returned 3 or 4 to the house. Something that was common in 08.

- The vast number of fumbles that we endured in NCAA 08 has seem to be toned down this year. In four games played so far, I've only had one fumble.

- The graphics have received a nice upgrade. The grass textures look very nice as do the player models.

- The left stick stutter steps are a nice addition. When you couple them with the existing jukes that are on the right stick, you can pull off some pretty sick moves.

- No depth chart lag when making subs

- Still seemed hard to generate any kind of pass rush with my defensive line. Although the computer had no problem putting my QB on his back from their d-line pressure.

- The overall game speed seems just right, maybe a tad bit slower thanlast year.

- The jury is still out on whether there are more penalties called this year. I have seen some facemask penalties called though, including the dreaded 15-yard one when that animation kicks in with your guy getting dragged down by the mask.

Overall the game is a major improvement over NCAA 08. Enjoy the vids!
Old 05-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #84
Banned

OVR: 8

Could it be????

The open gameplay solution is the erasing of the super CB's with eyes in the back of their heads. Which appears to now lead to high completion rates. Maybe EA had no programming/other solution for the CB to play good 'D' instead of the morphing 'D' that was done in the past series. So take that away and now you have OPEN GAMEPLAY!

IMO the running game looks weak. Per all the vids I have seen, it appears this is a passing game hands down. Didn't the reveiw from OS say mario running still existed?? Well this vid showed a bit of that. Additionally, the blocking for the running game is not going over well.

Last edited by DONF; 05-27-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #85
MVP

davin's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONF
Could it be????

The open gameplay solution is the erasing of the super CB's with eyes in the back of their heads. Which appears to now lead to high completion rates. Maybe EA had no programming/other solution for the CB to play good 'D' instead of the morphing 'D' that was done in the past series. So take that away and now you have OPEN GAMEPLAY!

IMO the running game looks weak. Per all the vids I have seen, it appears this is a passing game hands down. Didn't the reveiw from OS say mario running still existed?? Well this vid show a bit of that. Additionally, the blocking for the running game is not going over well.
I actually think in some cases the run blocking looked a lot better than last year. There weren't as many moments during the video where I saw a WTF lineman moment (where they would just not engage guys for seemingly no reason screwing you over). The passing game does look to be where it is at. The defense doesn't seem as cheap anymore in terms of warping interceptions, but maybe we just need to see more footage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2008, 01:22 PM   #86
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Man, that pre-snap defensive shifting is friggin' awesome.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #87
stewaat

OVR:

One thing I didn't notice anybody mention was the terrible route Pat White took on a what-could've-been big run. He scrambles to his left I believe and looks like he's running straight out of bounds.

I liked it overall but when I saw this I had a WTF moment.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #88
Tom Brady, L.O.A.T

urlacher51's Arena

OVR: 6

Nice vids, but im not liking from what im seeing in pass defense, from the cpu and player side

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »