Home

NCAA Football 10 Blog: Pocket Protection

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 10 Blog: Pocket Protection within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #97
MVP

OVR: 37
Re: NCAA Football 10 Blog: Pocket Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
While the gameplay stuff is shared, the refs are a rendering issue that is part of the game team's budget handled by the engineers that specialize in graphics. We needed these guys to do something else this year.
Thank you for the answer. I didn't realise that refs were not something that could be shared. Fingers crossed that your team has focussed on other issues like FORMATION SUBS & FCS & PRE-GAME SHOWS. :y 220:
Old 03-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #98
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
The rest of your post is ridiculous and not worth getting into, but I just want to talk about this briefly. The idea that a game without refs on the field can't have great atmosphere or presentation is beyond stupid. Adam said that those guys spent time working on other things. Have you ever taken the time to consider the fact that those other things might have an impact on your precious atmosphere and presentation?

BTW, in case you don't realize, EA also owns and makes Madden, so your entire "business school wanna be" drivel about profit margins makes almost no sense at all. It's in Madden and not in NCAA because there are other things that the NCAA team decided to budget their time towards. And given how minor refs on the field are in terms of the gameplay experience, I think that it's pretty hard to get worked up about that decision.
Ridiculous? Like the part where I showed that you put words in my mouth? Yea, I think I would ignore that too.

Last I checked Madden is still missing things from the current gen model that people to this day are requesting. My point is pretty straightforward. A bigger budget allows for things like more manpower and dev time. Pretty simple stuff and it makes perfect sense. I would also bet that one game has a slightly bigger budget than the other, in part to one selling more than double than the other. Coming into year 4 of the NCAA series on the 360, me thinks the refs were due. Along with many other things.

The refs are minor to you, great. To others they bring an important aspect in the presentation. Not everything has to do with GAMEPLAY. If gameplay was the only issue then Tiburon should go back to the old Atari Arcade football mentality. Think of how much they would save on modeling players, animations and the equipment involved. Why that is all presentation fluff anyway. All that time could be spent on perfecting the gameplay.

Here you go OMT. Just add a few more X's and o's and concentrate on the GAMEPLAY. Also you might need to get MS to release a trackball controller for the ultimate experience.

I call dibs on "X."

Last edited by bmdsooner; 03-25-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #99
MVP

OVR: 39

One extreme to the other...no middle ground with you guys...jeesh!
Old 03-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #100
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
if gameplay is poor, nothing else matters. You can have presentation as great as what you see on ESPN every weekend, but the if gameplay is boring, well then the game becomes boring.
Too late with the edit CB. Were you also not the one that switched over to the PS2 versions of these games? Maybe it was someone else? I just recall a few threads on this previously and I do not recall gameplay being the sole reason for this transformation.

Correct me if I am wrong but Madden for example is a game where the presentation was the biggest gripe. I realize there are plenty of gameplay issues but that is an area I see the most complaints. It is why I could not keep it for more than a week. Watching the paint dry on my wall was more enthralling.

It goes both ways. Like I said before and will once again, is it wrong to ask for BOTH? Most dev teams have certain people who work on the presentation side and others working on the gameplay side.

NCAA09 was never boring for me on the gameplay end. While the gameplay is broken in some areas I still enjoy playing the game. I do not have to create house rules, tinker with sliders until my hands are numb, to enjoy a game. There will always be limitations to video games because they are just that, GAMES. Show me a perfect game (gameplay wise) and plenty of people show you where you have not tried hard enough to find it's flaws.

I just get irked at all the stuff that continues to be left out of the game that were in last gen games. I get more irked when remove stuff like dynamic lighting/shadows out of the game.

Heck, I am enjoying MLB2K9 and College Basketball 09 even with all their faults, shoot me now.

Last edited by bmdsooner; 03-25-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #101
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdsooner
Here you go OMT. Just add a few more X's and o's and concentrate on the GAMEPLAY. Also you might need to get MS to release a trackball controller for the ultimate experience.
Serious question here. What would you rate NCAA Football 09 on a scale of 1-100? Now imagine that everything else about the game was exactly the same, but it had on-field refs and a chain gang. What would you rate it then?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #102
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdsooner
Too late with the edit CB. Were you also not the one that switched over to the PS2 versions of these games? Maybe it was someone else? I just recall a few threads on this previously and I do not recall gameplay being the sole reason for this transformation.

Correct me if I am wrong but Madden for example is a game where the presentation was the biggest gripe. I realize there are plenty of gameplay issues but that is an area I see the most complaints. It is why I could not keep it for more than a week. Watching the paint dry on my wall was more enthralling.

It goes both ways. Like I said before and will once again, is it wrong to ask for BOTH? Most dev teams have certain people who work on the presentation side and others working on the gameplay side.

NCAA09 was never boring for me on the gameplay end. While the gameplay is broken in some areas I still enjoy playing the game. I do not have to create house rules, tinker with sliders until my hands are numb, to enjoy a game. There will always be limitations to video games because they are just that, GAMES. Show me a perfect game (gameplay wise) and plenty of people show you where you have not tried hard enough to find it's flaws.

I just get irked at all the stuff that continues to be left out of the game that were in last gen games. I get more irked when remove stuff like dynamic lighting/shadows out of the game.

Heck, I am enjoying MLB2K9 and College Basketball 09 even with all their faults, shoot me now.
I'm out of this conversation.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 03-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #103
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
Serious question here. What would you rate NCAA Football 09 on a scale of 1-100? Now imagine that everything else about the game was exactly the same, but it had on-field refs and a chain gang. What would you rate it then?
81.784513458153138465456445612462168486413242 (with)
81.156465156464564654984561545645645645645644 (w/o)

Seriously? You want me to rate the game on a numerical scale? You do realize that the concept of rating things with a numeric is done to amuse those too lazy to read a review, right? Outside of that it's best use is for people to use scores to arbitrarily rant about how their game with an 87.9% average is better than the other game with an 86.2 average.

I mean really what in the heck are you asking here. This is what you construe as a serious question?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #104
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I'm out of this conversation.
Thanks for the update.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »