Home

Your thoughts on Season Showdown

This is a discussion on Your thoughts on Season Showdown within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What do you think about Season Showdown?
It's terrible! I don't know why they added it. 61 45.86%
It's ok. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. 55 41.35%
It's great! I can't wait to support my school in-game! 17 12.78%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #41
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Your thoughts on Season Showdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I'm not feeling the Season Showdown thing either. I just hope they didn't pour a ton of resources in it. But I do think the casual fan out there might love this feature. No bigger homer in sports than a college football homer.

I think a better idea would have been to create Season Showdown as a form of online BCS system or NCAA Playoff. Each week EA could create an online “real-time game” lobby and highlight the Top 10 teams. Then users can log in and choose to play with their favourite team against their opponent where the winner gets points for an EA BCS ranking. Ie. when USC travels to OSU, make that a "Season Showdown Game". Then all the USC and OSU fans could play that game the week before it actually happens. If the USC users win the majority of games, give USC a win and a boost in the EA polls. At the end of the year, take the top 8 teams and set up a fictional Season Showdown playoff. Almost like an EA NCAA Playoff Championship.
The problem with this is that the folks playing with the best teams might tend to dominate the poll, which doesn't seem to be what EA is trying to accomplish here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #42
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
The problem with this is that the folks playing with the best teams might tend to dominate the poll, which doesn't seem to be what EA is trying to accomplish here.
yea you can guarantee it will be either Ohio St., USC, Texas, or one of the larger, better football schools in the nation winning this stupid thing..No chance for the little guy to even make a dent.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #43
MVP

Gossennator's Arena

OVR: 15

I am going to go ahead and say Florida is going to win the whole thing. But I dont understand how this got into NCAA 10, the only thing I hope works is the whole sportsmanship thing. It would be nice if it was implemented by your gamertag in whatever online mode your playing.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #44
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
That's probably not what they are trying to accomplish. But could you imagine if EA could somehow carry out a virtual season? Every game played in the college world would be played out in a huge online tournament and EA would keep a BCS or playoff system going. If 500 users play a game of USC vs. OSU and the USC guys win 260 of the games, USC gets credited with a win.

Obviously, a good team will beat a bad team the majority of the time and you want all the games to be represented. EA could add a difficulty factor to help them out. ie. If you are a ranked team playing an unranked team, you might have to have at least 15% more wins when everyone's done.

example. Michigan faces Western Michigan so Michigan is expected to win at least 65% of the user games played. If the Michigan users only win 64% of the games played, UM gets a loss. Rivalry and closely matched games might still be 50%. At the end of the year EA could have online bowl games and an online national championship.

I'm just throwing some crap out but I think a huge online college football season could be cool.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #45
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
I think Hellisan said it best when describing this feature in another thread: "uninteresting, but harmless".

If you don't like it, ignore it. Problem solved.
Opportunity cost.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #46
We had subs. It was crazy

MBFranchise's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
That's probably not what they are trying to accomplish. But could you imagine if EA could somehow carry out a virtual season? Every game played in the college world would be played out in a huge online tournament and EA would keep a BCS or playoff system going. If 500 users play a game of USC vs. OSU and the USC guys win 260 of the games, USC gets credited with a win.

Obviously, a good team will beat a bad team the majority of the time and you want all the games to be represented. EA could add a difficulty factor to help them out. ie. If you are a ranked team playing an unranked team, you might have to have at least 15% more wins when everyone's done.

example. Michigan faces Western Michigan so Michigan is expected to win at least 65% of the user games played. If the Michigan users only win 64% of the games played, UM gets a loss. Rivalry and closely matched games might still be 50%. At the end of the year EA could have online bowl games and an online national championship.

I'm just throwing some crap out but I think a huge online college football season could be cool.
Of course, you're assuming Michigan will be ranked
Old 05-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 6

I wonder if there will be odds on this in vegas
Old 05-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #48
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Bandit
Opportunity cost.
Unless you can show that the feature took a significant amount of time to implement, I don't see how that argument applies here.

For what it's worth, the same argument was put forth by those opposed to mascot games, despite the fact that it's "opportunity cost" was almost non-existent (if I recall correctly OMT said it was basically one day's work by a single person). I'll bet that in terms of "OC", Season Showdown is pretty much the same.

Last edited by coogrfan; 05-15-2009 at 05:44 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »