Home

Your Recruiting Strategy

This is a discussion on Your Recruiting Strategy within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Your Recruiting Strategy

Recruiting is completely different in this years game. I used to fill my whole board and talk to everyone for at least 10min to keep there attention. If you are recruiting this year on AA or Heisman you can NOT do this. I do fill my board but that is more for organization for myself. I set it up by adding recruits starting at the #1 recruit that 1) Have me in their top 5 2) I am less than 350pts behind the #1 school. If you ever fall behind by more than this is is best to drop him and pick up the next highest guy on your board.

I have only played 1 season so far and recruiting was set to AA. I played as Florida State (go noles!!) and signed one 5*, eleven 4*, and ten 3*
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw07
It is best to offer people who have you #1 as well as 5* players. 4* and below you can wait.
Just curious as to what is the benefit of waiting to offer scholarships to players, as opposed to just offering a scholarship right out of the gate (I'm talking about those that aren't 5* and/or don't start in you Top 5).
Old 07-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #43
MVP

TheGamingChef's Arena

OVR: 18

Some more thoughts after some more "practice" recruiting:

You have to have COMPLETELY different strategies based on multiple factors: How bad you want the particular prospect, how your position compares to the other schools and their recruiting rankings, and your own recruiting rankings. The way you go after a 3* SS as Ohio State when you are #1 on his board and #2 is Kent State, will be far different than going after a 5* QB as Iowa State when you're #4 on his board and tops is Texas.

These strategies will affect who you go after, how much time you give them, and how many prospects you go after. As a mid-tier team (Illinois), I have found good success in the following:

*Turn off recruiting assistance of all types
*Fill up your recruiting board with 35 names, all of whom are interested in you.
*Choose 20 prospects that you will actively be chasing.
*Give the top ten of these prospects 40 minutes each. Give the bottom ten of them 20 minutes each.

You can adjust that formula somewhat - for example, if you really need one guy and give him 50 minutes, drop your #20 prospect to 10 minutes.

With this strategy, I have gotten about half of my top ten to sign early. I then fill in their spots with people from my #11-20 range, and fill in the #11-20 range with others on my board (and CONSIDER to give the new replacements some time.)

You seem to have an advantage with players, even when you don't give them time, if you've had them on your board for a while (hence the #21-35).

40 minutes is a sweet spot to stay directly in the running with prospects. 20 minutes will keep you within striking distance. With this strategy, I am averaging 15 prospects a season. These prospects are not simply fill-ins, but I'm choosing almost whatever I want. With Illinois, I average roughly 12 3* and 3 2* ... in three seasons, I've gotten one 4*.

15 players per class will end up with 75 players on your team after five seasons (counting the redshirted class) which is a solid number.

The fact is, this season you simply cannot target 35 guys, sign 25 and cut 10 every season. Your strategy should be MUCH different than mine if you are using a team like Eastern Michigan, Idaho, etc.... or Ohio State, Texas, etc. However, with the Illinois, Iowa State, Washington State, Mississippi State, and/or Syracuses of the world... I've found that this is a solid way to go. Any recommendations or thoughts?
Old 07-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 15

I have one big confusing question.

Do you need to spend time with a recruit (20min-50min) if he's #1 on your list and he is from the same state? Or should I just skip talking to him and just offer him a scholarship? That is where I'm confused.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #45
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14

I haven't tried recruiting yet, but it certainly seems interesting. Good thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
Some feel moving guys up or down on your list changes how they feel about your program, do you guys agree?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCajun
I think it used to matter, but now the recruiting board is just used to sort your players I believe.
I'd REALLY like a solid answer to this. Where are people getting this from? This could make a huge difference in the way recruiting is done.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #47
Pro

OVR: 6

When recruiting, is there a way to cut players already on your roster ie...I have a RB who is a 64..I want to cut to make room for a 4* prospect. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #48
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyCobra
When recruiting, is there a way to cut players already on your roster ie...I have a RB who is a 64..I want to cut to make room for a 4* prospect. Any help would be appreciated.
Wait until the off-season. There is a "Cut players" stage. That is where you can cut players. You can't do it in-season and there is no reason for that anyways. You can't play a recruit until the following season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »