Home

Building a Better NCAA Football 12

This is a discussion on Building a Better NCAA Football 12 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #201
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Building a Better NCAA Football 12

Part 1
Game Sounds – (****** are new/updated suggestions)
Team Intro/during Pre-game – Home *****
Opening Kickoff of Game *****
Timeout – Home
Timeout – Away
Challenged Play – Home *****
Challenged Play – Away *****
End of Quarter (1st & 2nd) *****
End of Quarter (3rd)

Kickoff
1st Down Conversion on 1st or 2nd Down
3rd Down Conversion is Successful
4th Down Conversion is Successful
Field Goal Kick is Successful
Touchdown
PAT is Successful
2 Pt Conversion is Successful

Defense takes the field after a Kick Return
Defense on 3rd Down
Defensive Stop on 3rd Down (Punt) ******
Defense on 4th Down (Going for it) ******
Defensive Stop on 4th Down
Tackle for Loss/Sack
Turnover
Safety
FG Miss – Away
Penalty – Away

Better sidelines (Interactive)
First, keep the sideline at either broadcast/game play view. Zoom in shots should be limited to head coach or coaches/player(s) interaction ex. during timeouts, trainers on the field, etc. One thing MLB The Show seems to do well is it shows a lot of little things throughout the stadium/game in game play camera angles without drawing attention to it, ex. you can see relief pitchers warming up in the outfield from home plate without the need to show a zoomed in view of the guys warming up).

****** Level 1 - Immediate Sidelines (closest to the field) should consist of Coaches (Head & Several Assistants) 40+players, several trainer staff personal watching game while standing, some moving around interacting with one another and reacting to the action on the field. Chain-gang present and has the ability to come onto the field to measure for too close to call first downs.

****** Level 2 – Directly behind Level 1 are the kickers & punters practicing kicks into nets continuously throughout the game (not just the zoomed in candid shot we get). Secondly, the bench area w/players (two deep) sitting interacting w/the O or D Coordinator. Perhaps at the end of a series, is where the pop up menu that appears at timeouts asking you to pick what areas of the offense to coach up (ex. line blocking/blitz pick-up, receivers route running, etc.)

****** During injuries on the field, have several trainers out there with the player (in school colors preferably). Get the initial prognosis at that point (menu to move to sideline if not serious or call for the cart if head injury suspected). If determined to not be serious, show the player on the training table being looked at. Then the second decision whether to sit him or play him menu can pop up.

****** Also, in Dynasty mode while recruiting, select games for recruits to attend, have additional people on the sidelines representing the recruits. Select one of your home games as Homecoming, again with packed sidelines representing player alumni, recruits, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #202
Rookie

OVR: 2

On the field – Game play
First of all fix both huddles:
Offense – with backs to the Line of Scrimmage, QB facing forward, backs/receivers in front with OL behind.

------------ Line of scrimmage
XXXXX OL
XXXXX Backs & Receivers
X QB

Defense, MLB calling the play, back to the Line of scrimmage with DL in front and LBs and DBs behind.

XXXX DBs
XXXXXX LBs & DL
X MLB
----------- Line of scrimmage

1. Gamer selects play, alignment (play going left or right) and something new snap count - Hut 1(A), 2(X), 3(B), or 4(Y). This could make for realistic false start or DL encroachment. Upon selecting the play, let’s hear them “break” the huddle.

2. As the offense lines up, QB can go through pre-snap reads (Offensive alignment and calling to the OL the position of the MLB/Defensive alignment) here, one of your two allowable player motions can occur. That’s right, second big change. Allow for multiple player motion. One player motions & gets set then, you have the option to motion a second player. This would allow for either additional blockers at the point of attack, misdirection to fool the defense or getting a free release for a receiver if the defense is in man to man.

3. At which point, QB cadence starts (ex. Red 19, Red 19), here you could press (X) to get the audible menu or start hut cadence (RB). Big change, (RB) determines the snap of the ball, not (A). When you hit the last pre-selected hut cadence (RB), your line will either fire off the ball (run play) of drop back forming the pocket (pass play). Depending on how loud the environment is for a road game (Toughest Stadiums), could determine if all your linemen reacts at the same time. This could make for some very nice offensive tackle/defensive end play on the edges. Thus giving the advantage to the DE for a change potentially allowing for pressure to the QB on pass plays from the outside, not just the middle of the line.
On the field – Game play (Bolded new suggestions) – cont.

Offensive Line Play -Based on your style of offense have different line splits (Power Football – closer like say Ohio State and Spread Attack – wider like say Missouri

Have some plays designed where guards pull straight down the line to kick out block a DE or perhaps pull and cut up into a gap in the line to pick off a MLB at the 2nd level.

At the snap of the ball for a pass play, stop having the OL drift back so much in forming their pocket. The center, guards really should pop up at the snap and either immediately engage the defender in front of them or double team immediately to their left or right. The tackles should really be the only linemen to retreat back at an angle to cut off the rush of the DE opposite them, thus forming the pocket. Only one specific Play Action plays should OL be moving across the formation to block defenders that are otherwise not picked up. Spacing this action out across the line (not packed in tightly as it is now) would create gaps for either Blitzing LB or stunting DL to have a better chance to beat the block or come through clean. Conversely, it would also open up areas for the QB to either step up into said pocket or take off and scramble through the line for yardage.

Some additional blocking animations would be nice.
1. Realistic pancake blocks where the OL takes a defender to the ground, landing on top of them, taking both players out of the play.
2. Running back either shoulder/chipping a defender before releasing to catch a screen
3. Running back going low to take a defender out below the waste and possibly flipping the defender. On the same token, if the running back tries to do that and has a poor blocking rating, the defender could just swat him out of the way or run him over on their way to the QB.
4. How cool would it be to see some random holding animations? Ex. OL that’s beat on the play pulling a defender down. OL hands to the face while blocking. Chop block, one OL cutting a defender below the waste while in a double team animation.

I’ve heard it stated on the community boards in the past and I think it’s time to implement this needed option as well: Unique/Individualized back and receiver types and running styles.
1. Noel Devine/LaMichael James – scat back, speedy, elusive but easy to bring down, home run threat every time they touch the ball.
2. DeMarco Murray – midsized back, athletic, has speed but, not quite as elusive as the smaller back. Potential for big plays.
3. Mark Ingram/John Clay – big back, athletically quick, won’t go down easily especially if they can get through the line of scrimmage to the 2nd level of the defense.
4. Each back type has a unique running style based on height, weight, speed and elusiveness.
The same can be said for receiver however, the styles could be small, average and tall, with the same unique running styles as the backs.
Let’s also base speed on how its actual assessed - 40 times (4.39) rather 99 rating.

Defensive Game play Adjustments
During pre-snap, give the defense time to make adjustments, especially when playing the CPU. Play selection time is limited and you’re given what seems like even less than that to coverage audible or hot route a specific defender. Most teams utilize the full play clock perhaps that goes along with their Offensive Style. If your opponent’s style is more up tempo, ex. Oregon or Oklahoma, that would negate that option. If your opponent is more deliberate like Wisconsin, then more of the play clock would be run down. It just has seemed for some time now that the CPU is forever in up tempo and I’m in mid adjustment when they snap the ball. Another option is to have while playing the CPU is to have them audible from time to time based on your defensive alignment/coverage or if you’re showing blitz.

There are only a few subtle changes that I would recommend on the Audible tabs for the defense.
Coverage:
• When selecting SHOW BLITZ, be able to choose which DB is showing, window to select (left/right CB, SS, or FS).
• When selecting PRESS, be able to chose head up, shade inside or outside.

Linebackers:
• Give an option to SHOW BLITZ, seeing how it seems that LB show this more often than the secondary does.

Defensive Line:
• Give an option to STUNT left or right.
• When choosing OUTSIDE CONTAIN RUSH, have the DE contain a little less drastically than they do currently (The idea is to contain against the scramble to the outside not make a dash for the sidelines).

Extra animations for defensive backs
pushing a receiver and running back out of bounds if along the sideline
tackle animation where the DB goes low to take out a back or receiver below the waste, more like rolling a should into the thigh or knee of the offensive player.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:55 AM   #203
Rookie

OVR: 0
@canes21

(No real commercials, but I would be more than happy to see them use a "fade to black" thing to simulate a commercial break like in MLB 2k. Do it just like it is in real life. Quarter Changes, TV timeouts, change of possessions, etc.)

Exactly. All I really want other than new gameplay is for it to feel like watching a game. This could even just be like what they do on madden where they have you watch your own highlights quickly. Well now imagine this with just 4 screen****s of a fake commercial in shown in quick succession, just to show that there was a commercial break there. This would be a fun and realistic feature. Good points.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 AM   #204
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtrailblazers
@canes21

(No real commercials, but I would be more than happy to see them use a "fade to black" thing to simulate a commercial break like in MLB 2k. Do it just like it is in real life. Quarter Changes, TV timeouts, change of possessions, etc.)

Exactly. All I really want other than new gameplay is for it to feel like watching a game. This could even just be like what they do on madden where they have you watch your own highlights quickly. Well now imagine this with just 4 screen****s of a fake commercial in shown in quick succession, just to show that there was a commercial break there. This would be a fun and realistic feature. Good points.
Sorry guys, meant "screenshots".

Pretty bad typo right
Old 03-30-2011, 04:36 AM   #205
Rookie

IVI3ntalyInzan3's Arena

OVR: 5
a good test to EA is to see if they keep up with what is going on in the ncaa as far as conferences i'll rent the game first and see if they caught on to the new conference layouts that are taking place this year and make sure they didn't include the changes that are happening next year than i'll get into the other details of the game. though other than that i'm more worried about online dynasty depth and the option to have the offline mechanics like letting us start lower and have the game give us contracts based on our achievements like it does offline. that would be cool. have a week that the commish advances to that lets us know if we get a new school and let us decide to take it or not or if we lost our job and where we start anew.

also dont forget depth cause most my dynastys lasted about 5 to 6 seasons til we were all like this sucks no good players felt like we had normal players across the board. so we would restart and restart.

but yeah look into the game to see if they keep up than look at fixing stuff
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #206
Rookie

TheBauerHour's Arena

OVR: 9

Man, I love running the spread, throwing for the first 20 plays, and the first run that I do, the defense lines up in a 4-3 set. The worst part is, I had an empty backfield for the run play, was going to be a QB sneak. Even though it has been mentioned, QB Logic/AI needs a definite revamp. Why bother play RTG or Dynasties if the game itself is sloppy or broken?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #207
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBauerHour
Man, I love running the spread, throwing for the first 20 plays, and the first run that I do, the defense lines up in a 4-3 set. The worst part is, I had an empty backfield for the run play, was going to be a QB sneak. Even though it has been mentioned, QB Logic/AI needs a definite revamp. Why bother play RTG or Dynasties if the game itself is sloppy or broken?
It is like the CPU AI knows what plays you are running. Every time I called a running play, They had a Defensive Formation where they were correctly lined up and were ready to blitz. I had to audible from passing plays to running plays all the time. It was very hard to play RB in RTG because they blitz the right hole every time I ran. Same when I played defense. Every time I ran Zone cov. There was someone open every time.
They defintely need to fix that. That should not count as improved defense because the AI know your plays.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #208
Rookie

1bigcharm's Arena

OVR: 4
I loved NCAA 11. I would like to go more in depth with the players and offseason. Years ago college football used to have a senior bowl game at the end of the year, why can't that come back. Would like to have diff comments and announcements than the same from past years. Maybe like on every Sat morning i wake up seeing Lee Corso and the other guys going throuh each team and at the end choosing a helmet for game of the week lol that would be fun. Have a All American game for the recruits coming in so you can actually see how they play instead of judging by their attributes. I can go all day. We used to can see the coaches you created now you can't.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »