Home

Wow! Looks like the Triple Option doesn't work again!

This is a discussion on Wow! Looks like the Triple Option doesn't work again! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #25
Left side, strong side

C the Lyte's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Wow! Looks like the Triple Option doesn't work again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredlib
Watch the video. In real life they don't give it to the FB every single time. This reminds me of people who argue that Play Action isnt broken in 11. Just because you don't "set a play up 100%" doesnt mean it should be a guaranteed, instant loss of yards when you run it every single time

They do if that is the proper read every time. That statement makes it sound as if you want the option to give to the FB or not. Not read the defense.

Not saying that EA gets read portions of this game right. The read option from the gun can be atrocious.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavar
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
If GT was a human player then he was really bad at reading the option. If it was the CPU, then we have a problem.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #27
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
Biggest problem with this offense IMO is the blocking. If you watch Navy's oline for example, they use combo blocks to block down and create lanes, they get low and take out the legs of the D-Line. You want to give the QB clear reads and that happens with the blocking schemes and NCAA fails to get the blocking of triple option teams right in this game.

A common blocking technique used in triple option(s) is the Center, Guard combo cut block. The center will engage the DT/NT then let him go to get to the LB, as soon as the center disengages from the DT/NT the guard will cut the legs of that DT/NT giving the FB or the QB a lane up the middle. You see this a lot with Paul Johnson's offense. It creates a large lane for the FB/QB and gets the center to the second level quickly. You WILL NEVER see that block in NCAA. NCAA needs to add cut blocks and that would be a huge help the triple option.

The Oline is always trying to cut the legs of defenders for a simple reason. If you are trying to keep from getting your legs cut, your arms are down, if your arms are down trying to keep from getting your legs taken out you cant use your arms to wrap up the ball carrier.
Well done.

They really helped the triple option playbooks two years ago, but they didn't change the blocking. That, combined with the unblocked DE being superhuman makes the option tough to run.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #28
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

N51 and jaredlib said it best, the QB has absolutely no time to make a decision unless he just hands it right off to the FB.

It's like the defense knows what play is coming before the ball is even snapped. The cornerbacks and Linebackers break right for the QB unblocked, and the defensive line doesn't even come close to biting on the play fake.

The reason these option plays are so useless is because the CPU A.I. knows what play you called, at least that's what it seems. I believe if you cut down on the psychic A.I. playcalling, the option offense would be much more successful; because right now it's blatantly obvious they know what you're running.

One more thing, they have to speed up the animation in the backfield, it sees like the defense is just faster than the QB and half backs. The fake animation is slow, the QB running to the outside animation is slow. Before he even gets his legs churning, the defenders are in the backfield
Old 07-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #29
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16

I've played as an option team every year for at least the last 5 years. Human option game was fine last year. It still was missing some basic counter plays but it could be an effective offense.

The gt player was a human in that video. He forgot the first option in the triple option. If the d is blitzing on the outside, dish to the fb and force them to tighten in the middle. That will open up the outside.

The speed the d got to the qb was concerning but I'd chalk this one up to a human player not familiar with the option.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #30
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mre
I think Georgia Tech's triple option did really well last year when the games were simmed. They beat Alabama two years in a row in my dynasty.

Guess the gameplay doesn't actually reflect that.
Last year, game play very rarely reflected sim stats. I mean last year I could edit any QB to have 1200 rushing yards in a simmed dynasty, but in a game I was actually playing, they wouldn't do jack.

Same thing with kick returns, punt returns and punt blocks. Simmed stats, you had several of them. Games you played, none by the cpu.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #31
Rookie

RColemanVT's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredlib
Watch the video. In real life they don't give it to the FB every single time. This reminds me of people who argue that Play Action isnt broken in 11. Just because you don't "set a play up 100%" doesnt mean it should be a guaranteed, instant loss of yards when you run it every single time
Anthony Allen was GTs leader in rushes last year, Alexander Teich was Navy's second, and Jared Hassin was Army's second. Allen and Hassin were also the team leaders for yards.

The Triple Option is actually based around the give, most teams looks to stop the QB/RB going into games, so the FB give is what opens up those outside runs, without the give you are just trying to run into a brick wall.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #32
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RColemanVT
Anthony Allen was GTs leader in rushes last year, Alexander Teich was Navy's second, and Jared Hassin was Army's second. Allen and Hassin were also the team leaders for yards.

The Triple Option is actually based around the give, most teams looks to stop the QB/RB going into games, so the FB give is what opens up those outside runs, without the give you are just trying to run into a brick wall.

You think I don't know this?

What were my words?

I said they don't give it EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

Jeez. I love when people try and flex knowledge and shake their finger at other people and miss the point entirely. The bottom line is in the game if you try to keep the ball you are swarmed in the backfield, period.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »