Home

Man, it is downright creepy how much NCAA 2002 looks like the current gen. With vids

This is a discussion on Man, it is downright creepy how much NCAA 2002 looks like the current gen. With vids within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #25
Rookie

woody56's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Man, it is downright creepy how much NCAA 2002 looks like the current gen. With

That was some read

The gems

destiny mode instead of dynasty mode
expedition instead of exhibition
arkon instead of akron
gambling state instead of grambling state
northfort state instead of norfolk state
idaho instead of ohio
parrari view am instead of praire view am
san o jay state instead of san jose st

And I don't know what the hell he said for UL Lafayette
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #26
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strings74
Honestly.

Yeah, I was pretty good at that game too and eventually got bored of Heisman. I can't remember the name of the specific play but it was out of the Ace formation where the two tight ends would run corner patterns. I had probably a 90% success rate with that one.
I can't either but it was out of the Ace Bunch. I think it was called Corners but I LOVED that play.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #27
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Man, it is downright creepy how much NCAA 2002 looks like the current gen. With

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Manually controlling a DB was never more fun in a video game either. My college roommate had 16 or 18 INTs with a Boston College CB one year but didn't win the Heisman of course.
It was so much easier to play pass coverage on the PS2 versions. I think it was a combination of slower passing speeds and more weight/momentum of the players. Because players weren't so twitchy you could anticipate routes better and also control your player better. In the current game it is still very hard to defend the pass and it gets frustrating. Just try catching a punt that you try to down before it reaches the end zone. You know where it's going to land yet it's very hard to stop on that spot.

I think most of the current devs play exclusively as a DL and DB play isn't something they focus on. I rarely play as a DL and I miss the ability to make plays as a DB the way I did on the PS2.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
It was so much easier to play pass coverage on the PS2 versions. I think it was a combination of slower passing speeds and more weight/momentum of the players. Because players weren't so twitchy you could anticipate routes better and also control your player better. In the current game it is still very hard to defend the pass and it gets frustrating. Just try catching a punt that you try to down before it reaches the end zone. You know where it's going to land yet it's very hard to stop on that spot.

I think most of the current devs play exclusively as a DL and DB play isn't something they focus on. I rarely play as a DL and I miss the ability to make plays as a DB the way I did on the PS2.
GREAT POINT! I remember in those days I would love taking control of a db in pass coverage because the controls were so tight. Now, I know better to leave it alone because if I'm not careful I can push a guy 5 yards out of position because there is no weight to the players.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #29
Pro

UNLV_1999's Arena

OVR: 7

I still have this game and put it in the other day. For being 10 years old, it still has things that 2012 doesn't have such as chain gangs.

Florida Gators, MBA 2007
Football: 1996, 2006
Basketball: 2006, 2007

UNLV Runnin' Rebels, BS Business Administration 1999
Basketball: 1990
Old 07-26-2011, 09:24 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strings74
2002 was a great game, it arguably has more features than the current iterations.

I forgot that game had the Ivy League and some of the historically black colleges like Grambling in there, too.

It's incredible how little has changed in 9 years. Even the mascots have the same mo-cap. The commentator in this video is dreadful but check out the gameplay. The commentary is EXACTLY the same. Actually it's better.

First vid has the intro and some annoying guy reading out all the teams. Second vid has gameplay.

If you think the game is even remotely comparable, you have serious problems.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #31
Rookie

Strings74's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
There were so many money plays in '02-'04 but the games were insanely fun. Twin-I Counter was a Heisman-making machine for any RB. Dual drags were money if you let the underneath WR get far enough across the formation. I can't remember if it was '02 or '03 but with a nasty WR curls were basically cheese, you could time it right and make the catch and instantly cut to the outside and burn the CB for a touchdown. Post patterns were automatic on any level all three years.

Manually controlling a DB was never more fun in a video game either. My college roommate had 16 or 18 INTs with a Boston College CB one year but didn't win the Heisman of course.
Oh man, Twin-I Counter! That was my favorite play.

When the entire D would shift to the strong side you knew you had a TD before the snap.

I still run it habitually even though it's a bit more realistic these days.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #32
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36

I'm probably in the minority, but I honestly still prefer the PS2 NCAA Football games opposed to the PS3 or 360 ones. Graphics are important for sure, but I'm more about the gameplay and whether or not I have fun playing the games and using the features. I could honeslty care less about 50% of the features that NCAA 12 has and I'm still trying to find a next generation NCAA that's half as fun to play as the old PS2 versions were to me, especially dynasty mode. Once again.....there's just something missing in this year's game that the PS2 versions had for me and I can only describe what it is as "fun factor."

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »