Home

I hate the way this game is perceived vs the actual reality of it all

This is a discussion on I hate the way this game is perceived vs the actual reality of it all within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #41
Rookie

Strings74's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: I hate the way this game is perceived vs the actual reality of it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I disagree. I don't think it had any affect on Madden, IIRC their sales were even stronger than they were the year before. Nor was 2k going to release the game at $20 the following year.

Why would I want that? Choices. The games are different. What was one person's cup of tea, might not have been mine.

In 2004 for example, there were a ton of people who loved Madden, and couldn't stand the 2k series and vice versa, as well as a group that like both.

We all know that Madden is the Cadillac of football games and that 2k was the Buick. And sure every year there might be issues in one title or the other. But over time, I don't think it's even remotely arguable that the quality of both games would benefit from the competition regardless of the individual preference of a particular player in a given year.

In baseball The Show is the caddy and 2k is the Buick, maybe even the Hyndai. Yet The Show just gets better and better each year. Funny how that happens.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #42
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strings74
We all know that Madden is the Cadillac of football games and that 2k was the Buick. And sure every year there might be issues in one title or the other. But over time, I don't think it's even remotely arguable that the quality of both games would benefit from the competition regardless of the individual preference of a particular player in a given year.

In baseball The Show is the caddy and 2k is the Buick, maybe even the Hyndai. Yet The Show just gets better and better each year. Funny how that happens.
I do think it's arguable at best. In a recent poll here the best NCAA version ever, 2004 and 2006 were runaway winners. One was with competition and one was after there was no football competition.

I simply disagree. You won't convince me otherwise, and you're simply going to have to live with the fact that I don't agree with you.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #43
Rookie

Strings74's Arena

Quote:
You're assuming none of those people bought Madden then? You saw their bottom line the year before and then that year?
No, I'm not. You however are apparently assuming that everyone who bought a football game that year bought both, which is obviously not the case.

It's very simple. If I'm selling delicious burgers on one side of the street and suddenly you come along and set up shop across the street and sell merely tasty burgers for half the price, that is going to negatively affect my bottom line every. single. time.

How do you combat that? You can make the burgers even more delicious, you can reduce your prices, you can reduce your overhead or you can get the city council to pass a zoning ordnance that kicks the other guy off the block. Guess which one is the best option?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #44
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
No, I'm not. You however are apparently assuming that everyone who bought a football game that year bought both, which is obviously not the case.

It's very simple. If I'm selling delicious burgers on one side of the street and suddenly you come along and set up shop across the street and sell merely tasty burgers for half the price, that is going to negatively affect my bottom line every. single. time.

How do you combat that? You can make the burgers even more delicious, you can reduce your prices, you can reduce your overhead or you can get the city council to pass a zoning ordnance that kicks the other guy off the block. Guess which one is the best option?
Ahh the unrelated analogy. I don't play that game.

I have yet to see any financial data from EA that shows they were so adversely affected.

Besides the NFL put the license up for bid, did you expect them not to bid?

I think we all agree that more products on the market would be great. I don't see how this is EA's fault.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #45
Rookie

Strings74's Arena

Quote:
I do think it's arguable at best. In a recent poll here the best NCAA version ever, 2004 and 2006 were runaway winners. One was with competition and one was after there was no football competition.

I simply disagree. You won't convince me otherwise, and you're simply going to have to live with the fact that I don't agree with you.
What sort of ego must you have to think that your posts have any sort of effect on anyone here?

In any event, the benefits of competition would likely be more demonstrated as it plays out over time, not in any one given year.

The fact that 2006 is beloved as the best version ever here in 2011 does nothing but prove the point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #46
Rookie

Strings74's Arena

Quote:
Ahh the unrelated analogy. I don't play that game.

I have yet to see any financial data from EA that shows they were so adversely affected.

Besides the NFL put the license up for bid, did you expect them not to bid?

I think we all agree that more products on the market would be great. I don't see how this is EA's fault.
You obviously don't play the game of critical thinking.

What are you talking about? Obviously you missed the point and don't seem to really have much of a grasp on the basics of how a business operates so I guess I'll just have to concede the point to the brick wall of your obstinacy.

I don't really know how many different ways I can say that what EA did makes perfect sense.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #47
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
What sort of ego must you have to think that your posts have any sort of effect on anyone here?

In any event, the benefits of competition would likely be more demonstrated as it plays out over time, not in any one given year.

The fact that 2006 is beloved as the best version ever here in 2011 does nothing but prove the point.
Yup I am the one with the ego. That is rich.

I disagree that it proves the point. But oh well.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #48
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
You obviously don't play the game of critical thinking.

What are you talking about? Obviously you missed the point and don't seem to really have much of a grasp on the basics of how a business operates so I guess I'll just have to concede the point to the brick wall of your obstinacy.

I don't really know how many different ways I can say that what EA did makes perfect sense.
Yup again, I am the one with the ego. If it makes you feel better to declare yourself the winner. Have at it. I'll live.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »