Home

Ratings Discussion: Insight from EA?

This is a discussion on Ratings Discussion: Insight from EA? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 1
Did you not read my post? I put exactly what all the blocking attributes do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: Ratings Discussion: Insight from EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortobc
Did you not read my post? I put exactly what all the blocking attributes do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
I could "assume" that is what it does also. But where is your proof or where did you read that is how the ratings work?

Also how do you know run block rating and pass block rating is only for sim games. That makes no sense, why would there be a guy with a 84 run block and 84 pass block but his "in game" ratings of RBS , RBF, PBS, PBF all suck compared to his "sim" ratings as you say??

I don't buy that at all. Unless there is a EA blog or something stating this.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I could "assume" that is what it does also. But where is your proof or where did you read that is how the ratings work?
Those words came straight from a developer of the game. You can either choose to believe me or not. I cannot provide proof right now. I read it from another very trust worthy message board.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Also how do you know run block rating and pass block rating is only for sim games. That makes no sense, why would there be a guy with a 84 run block and 84 pass block but his "in game" ratings of RBS , RBF, PBS, PBF all suck compared to his "sim" ratings as you say??
Maybe the SIM engine works totally different than the game play. I don't know, but that is how it is.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortobc
Those words came straight from a developer of the game. You can either choose to believe me or not. I cannot provide proof right now. I read it from another very trust worthy message board.
Well that even makes things even further confusing. You got a "supposed" message from a developer that says

Run block rating = Only sim engine uses
Pass block rating = Only sim engine uses

RBF, RBS, PBF, PBS = Only IN-Game uses

If that is the case, how many people look at a high run block rating and pass block rating and think their guy is good at blocking based on this rating which means NOTHING for them in game.

This further proves we need some insight into what ratings do what, why, and how. Also WHY would they even have ratings for "sim" engine only, yet have nothing to signify that??

I am not calling you a liar or anything. Maybe this message really exists from a developer but what I am saying is this is all very confusing about what does what, what ratings battle other ratings, what is sim engine ratings, what is in game ratings, and on and on and on!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #22
Rookie

WilesThing's Arena

I had messaged Ian Cummings a few years back about these new ratings when they first came out. This is what he said:

"-Pass Block Strength: Success against def special moves while pass blocking
-Pass Block Quickness (I think Ian meant footwork here): Speed getting out of stance, speed to move around during pass block
-Run Block Strength: Success against def special moves while run blocking
-Run Block Quickness: Speed getting out of stance, ability to push defenders back
-Block Shedding: Avoiding impact / open field blocks
-Man Coverage has been tuned more - it is the reaction time to playing man on a WR. So this should be much less about agility. Reacting to the ball in the air is still awareness."

I'm not sure if these have changed over the years. And didn't they do a blog explaining these ratings a few years back too?
Old 09-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilesThing
I had messaged Ian Cummings a few years back about these new ratings when they first came out. This is what he said:

"-Pass Block Strength: Success against def special moves while pass blocking
-Pass Block Quickness (I think Ian meant footwork here): Speed getting out of stance, speed to move around during pass block
-Run Block Strength: Success against def special moves while run blocking
-Run Block Quickness: Speed getting out of stance, ability to push defenders back
-Block Shedding: Avoiding impact / open field blocks
-Man Coverage has been tuned more - it is the reaction time to playing man on a WR. So this should be much less about agility. Reacting to the ball in the air is still awareness."

I'm not sure if these have changed over the years. And didn't they do a blog explaining these ratings a few years back too?
And the plot thickens because this is not what Nortobc said it does. Awwwww why do the ratings have to be so confusing for us to know how good a guy is!!!

Last edited by Phobia; 09-28-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #24
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfEd
Break Tackle acts as a success rating for broken tackles (duh), and is also used in sim from what I understand. A good little scat back can have a high Break Tackle because he will juke/spin out of tackle, and shouldn't Truck. Opposite for a good Power Back.

Tackle also acts as a success rating vs. Break Tackle. Hit Power is the gameplay modifier for Tackle. Low Hit Power will make the player tackle the at the ball carriers knees. Higher Hit Power will make the player give bigger body hits, forearm shiver (very high Hit Power) etc.

I do see a difference in Low vs. High Agility ratings. Low agility ratings will produce more stumbling players when comming off of a block/jamb, or falling out of a tackle. Think of it as Body Control.

As stated, Awareness is the smarts/comprehension of the player. Think of each player in bubble, and he can process what is happening within his bubble. Higher awareness increases the size of his bubble.
So is elusiveness v tackle another matchup?

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »