Home

Why has EA not implented a Spring Game??

This is a discussion on Why has EA not implented a Spring Game?? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #33
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49
It's a glorified practice people. And it's a video game. Numbers dictate how good a player is. Don't bring up the "position battle" act. If you have two players at one position with the same overall, take a look at what you want for that position and choose one or use formation subs.

I can kind of understand an AA game, since ratings are unknown until the new season starts, but a Spring game is a formula for one thing only: A scapegoat for complaints (EA an put in a spring game sure, but they can't put in x and y)

@AdamdotH
Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Why has EA not implented a Spring Game??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
That sounds nice, but I'd love to hear HOW. Tell me how you take the premise of preseason (evaluating players) and make it something useful. Right now, ratings are hidden and revealed in Madden. Are you proposing the same for NCAA? Or something different? If it isn't hard, then you have some ideas clearly.
First of all, increase the roster size to 80. While not 100% necessary, this would be nice. Although I don't see it happening this gen, since they already decreased it from 70 to 69. More players would make the new offseason more realistic.

The new offseason should be much like it is now. The difference being training progression is done behind-the-scenes and we don't get to see the results. We also don't get to see the incoming recruit actual ratings (we'd still know the letter grade ratings from the current recruiting model).

All the incoming recruits and returning players are available to play in a spring game/summer camp combo game, like someone suggested. Although not true to reality, that would probably be a better idea from a video game perspective. All the incoming and current players would go through a single evaluation process...less tedious for the programmers and us players.

We set up a pre-game depth chart, which is only used for the game. It doesn't impact a player wanting to transfer. The spring game should play just like a regular game. Choose to play offense or defense. Maybe coordinators can only play their side of the ball. We can adjust in-game depth charts, sub players. Injuries can occur if on (hopefully medical redshirts are re-added).

After the game, you get one chance to set your preseason depth chart, still only knowing pre-progression ratings (last season's actuals for returning players/transfers, letter grades for recruits) and spring game stats. This way you should be basing your chart off of in-game performance and projected ratings.

After the preseason depth chart is set, you then see the actual progressed ratings for returning players and number ratings for recruits. Depending on how you set your chart affects players wanting to transfer, Ex- if you put a 76-rated CB over a 90-rated CB, it would increase the 90s desire to transfer. This info can be stored and used in the current players transferring model. It could also affect player promises. If during the season, you move the 90 back over the 76, the 76 would have more desire to transfer.

Then you advance to the current preseason model, except Set Preseason Depth Chart is removed. Then play out the regular season until the next offseason.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #35
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Sounds very similar to the Madden model.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #36
Rookie

Quote:
Sounds very similar to the Madden model.
They are both EA games afterall. The logic would be similar. The two major effects of the spring game are 1) have a meaningful impact on players transferring and 2) injuries.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #37
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

I'd like see the effort put into an actual "training camp" mode to improve kids. Of course, I'd also really like to see a rating of some kind that shows how much of the play book the kids get, and training camp/spring game would be essential to getting kids to learn the playbook. Then, a kid at 60% playbook would be a kid who would otherwise run wrong routes, blocking schemes, etc.

THAT would add some depth to the team.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #38
Rookie

Quote:
I'd like see the effort put into an actual "training camp" mode to improve kids. Of course, I'd also really like to see a rating of some kind that shows how much of the play book the kids get, and training camp/spring game would be essential to getting kids to learn the playbook. Then, a kid at 60% playbook would be a kid who would otherwise run wrong routes, blocking schemes, etc.

THAT would add some depth to the team.

That would be a great addition. Even more so if it factored in new coaches/coordinators joining a team. Upperclassmen with a 90% playbook under the old coach's Pro offense might have a 50% playbook under the new coach's Spread option offense.

And then you get into recruits fitting certain systems. The incumbent SR pocket passer QB has a higher AWR and THA, but now a 50% playbook. However, the incoming FR scrambler QB has a lower AWR and THA, but a 75% playbook. Who is the starter? How about spring game performance?

Those would be awesome additions. I was going for baby steps (it is EA). Add a spring game and make it significant within the existing confines of the game.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
That's a cheap argument, especially from this community. This community has argued for years that preseason games in Madden mean zilch, are pointless, get simmed past, etc. Now here we are asking for the very same thing.

See above. What would it mean? You want to see what they look like? Look at their ratings. You want to tell me that you want immersion or something? Then explain the widespread argument about preseason in madden in year's past.

This place be wacky.
I can understand your argument for an entire four game season. this is a single game. i even play the third preseason game in madden... One game is a completly differnt than a preseason. The pros barely wanna play pre-season games, the fans dont wanna go see them. But players cant wait for their spring game. and fans love to see what the team looks like in the spring. So that is the differnce. Aint nothin wacky around here. i gurantee it, so chill out.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarviswise
Why after all these years has EA not implented a Spring after all these years? and lets not get started on random plays in practice mode.. and no I don't want random plays from one formation.

There was a spring game for NCAA 08 and I assume the previous versions as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »