Home

NCAA Football 13 Video - First Look at Scouting, When You Start Your Dynasty

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 13 Video - First Look at Scouting, When You Start Your Dynasty within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #41
MVP

cparrish's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: NCAA Football 13 Video - First Look at Scouting, When You Start Your Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
i don't know how i feel about seeing their ratings revealed. I think i'd rather see the weight lifting numbers, 40 & shuttle times, etc. and have to judge a prospect off of that + the scouting system which can tell us how he plays instead of just revealing the ratings.
While I agree with you, the casual fan would have no clue what those numbers mean.

Xbox 360: BuffEye Rosters
PS3: BuffEyeRosters
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #42
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NCAA Football 13 Video - First Look at Scouting, When You Start Your Dynasty

This is looking to be a fun game.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:19 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 4

i'm not sure why EA loves the RNG so much in trying to turn things like recruiting into a meta game. this is another minimum effort by EA, how does "time" in any way simulate scouting? i send my scout to look at a guy for 30 minutes? somehow he can tell he's strong, but can't tell how slow/fast he is?

maybe i have 3 or 4 scouts instead? and i can send them to a single state each week to look at recruits to look at maybe 2-3 recruits at the most. after a few (4?) visits i get an actual few of what the recruit should look like

here they just decided to reuse the time component from phone calls, and i'm stuck finding out that my WR falls over if a fly lands on him (43 trucking/47 stiff arm) instead of knowing more about his speed - how does any of this make sense?

"hey mr. scout, was he as fast as we think?"
"i don't know, i watched him for 30 minutes, didn't see him run, but he tried to run over the punter and it looked like someone running into a brick wall"
Old 05-31-2012, 06:32 PM   #44
Rookie

Vaporub83's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
i don't know how i feel about seeing their ratings revealed. I think i'd rather see the weight lifting numbers, 40 & shuttle times, etc. and have to judge a prospect off of that + the scouting system which can tell us how he plays instead of just revealing the ratings.
There are only so many number differences. Meaning if you have 3 DE on your board you wouldn't see much change...
DE#1: 330 Bench 4.82 40 yard dash
DE#2: 340 Bench 4.87 40 yard dash
DE#3: 350 Bench 4.92 40 yard dash
Numbers don't show who a player is it is game film that shows that.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger
Old 05-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #45
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

Things I liked:

1) Only 20 hours of scouting. That'll make it nearly impossible to get a 100% reveal on multiple recruits. If you noticed, it'll take a good 2-4 hours to get 100% on every recruit. You *might* be able to get 100% on 5 guys, and that's if they're all QBs or Safety's - guys with fewer "scoutable" abilities. I mean, the guy only has 7 guys on his list and has only 13 hours left. Hopefully that 20 hours doesn't reset every week though. That'd be horrible.

2) You can see your position needs in the Search area. I don't remember if it was there in NCAA '12 or not, if it was, my bad. I haven't played '12 since March.

3) It's going to feel really good scouting a 3-star QB and hearing the "green arrow noise" over and over again when you're at a small school, showing that you found a gem.

4) They show you the 40 time, the Bench Press and Squat numbers on the Recruit List. I don't believe that's been there before. Once again, haven't played NCAA in a few months and my memory sucks.

5) I do like how that first ATH he scouted was good at both Route Running AND Zone/Man Coverage. That's probably one of those "Triple Threat" guys they talked about. Hopefully every ATH isn't a Triple Threat guy.....

Things I didn't like:

1) The same song is playing that has played for the past few years. BRING BACK FIGHT SONGS IN THE MENUS. I don't enjoy having to turn on my own music while gaming.

2) SPARQ. I hate SPARQ. I don't like seeing a bunch of ATH/WR/HB on the top of the list every season due to SPARQ rating on athleticism. But at least there was a Tackle up there and he was 6'7". I got tired of seeing 6'3" Tackles.

3) Menu Loading. Can't I go from the "Find a Player" area directly to the Recruiting board? Hopefully the loading time goes down when I download the game to the XBOX.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #46
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2th3m1th
the one thing i dont like the the overall being shown... why not just let us scout and then see what they come in at? Honestly it makes me feel like EA thinks we are dumb, but looking at scouted attribute numbers we have a general idea what the player is going to be.
It's not that they think that we're dumb, it's just that they're always going to try to make little changes here and there that they hope will make things less daunting to newcomers to the mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith.0
That's what I mean. That's assuming, of course, that all of the 1, 2, and 3* "Gems" are not uncovered by larger programs each season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramminyou
That's my only real concern. I'm afraid the game might be programmed such that the CPU schools "know" who the gems and busts are before scouting in an attempt to create artificial competition. I don't want to put a 2* HB from Washington on my board in a Wazzu dynasty only to find that Texas, Wisconson and Oregon have all scouted and offered him by Week 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
That is my main concern too.
I want to see 4 or 5 star schools miss on 4 or 5 star players badly. It could have a big effect facing a team like Alabama and this miss out on a a few players. For example, them missing on a 5 star CB when there depth is bad. They would give up alot of TDs.

Like you said, I dont want to see a 3 star player from Wyoming have offers from Alabama and Florida just because he is a gem. Just like I dont want to see a team like Florida not go after a 5 star RB from Florida because they know he is a bust, especially if they have a major need at RB.

This could either a great feature of half-***ed feature. I wouldnt mind missing on a good player. I wouldnt want to miss on a player, but it could be a realistic thing. Like, I would get happy when I get a 5 star QB as a lower school without scouting him. I then realize that he is a bust and that sets me back another 2-3 seasons.
My guess is that the top schools will still primarily go after mostly 4 and 5 star prospects at first. With a few exceptions of course, I'm guessing that all the 5 stars who end up being busts, are still going to be 70+ OVR players.

I'm thinking that most of the big time gems in up on the teams who are in the mid tier of NCAA, the schools ranked 30 to 60.

As has been mentioned above, if we see 4 or 5 Southern powers, going after a 3 star player from the North West, then that'll be evidence of CPU omniscience, but I don't expect them to make that mistake.

My play style lets me get by without great talent on offense, so I'll be spending most of my scouting time looking for Urlacher types on defense.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #47
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Can't stand the menu music this game has had the past few years. Talk about boring. I'd rahter them do EA trax. I dont need to hear the same 10 generic sounding fight songs or this same song we got now on constant repeat.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #48
MVP

Ramminyou's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Things I liked:

1) Only 20 hours of scouting. That'll make it nearly impossible to get a 100% reveal on multiple recruits. If you noticed, it'll take a good 2-4 hours to get 100% on every recruit. You *might* be able to get 100% on 5 guys, and that's if they're all QBs or Safety's - guys with fewer "scoutable" abilities. I mean, the guy only has 7 guys on his list and has only 13 hours left. Hopefully that 20 hours doesn't reset every week though. That'd be horrible.

2) You can see your position needs in the Search area. I don't remember if it was there in NCAA '12 or not, if it was, my bad. I haven't played '12 since March.

3) It's going to feel really good scouting a 3-star QB and hearing the "green arrow noise" over and over again when you're at a small school, showing that you found a gem.

4) They show you the 40 time, the Bench Press and Squat numbers on the Recruit List. I don't believe that's been there before. Once again, haven't played NCAA in a few months and my memory sucks.

5) I do like how that first ATH he scouted was good at both Route Running AND Zone/Man Coverage. That's probably one of those "Triple Threat" guys they talked about. Hopefully every ATH isn't a Triple Threat guy.....

Things I didn't like:

1) The same song is playing that has played for the past few years. BRING BACK FIGHT SONGS IN THE MENUS. I don't enjoy having to turn on my own music while gaming.

2) SPARQ. I hate SPARQ. I don't like seeing a bunch of ATH/WR/HB on the top of the list every season due to SPARQ rating on athleticism. But at least there was a Tackle up there and he was 6'7". I got tired of seeing 6'3" Tackles.

3) Menu Loading. Can't I go from the "Find a Player" area directly to the Recruiting board? Hopefully the loading time goes down when I download the game to the XBOX.
You get 3 hours per week after the preseason to scout.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »