Home

Thoughts on Over Signing, Cutting Players and Recruiting in Dynasty Mode

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Over Signing, Cutting Players and Recruiting in Dynasty Mode within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #89
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Thoughts on Over Signing, Cutting Players and Recruiting in Dynasty Mode

You who talk about limiting signing players, wouldn't make sense that the best way to limit yourselves is to do the following:

First, fill your board with those who are interested

Second, if you have not reached 35 players, fill board with players within your pipeline. I choose to fill with players who have 10 schools left, mainly because most of the time as a weaker school like Kent State or Air Force, there are very few 4 star players that meet the requirement of 10 schools left. Haven't seen a 5 star player that meets the requirement of 10 schools left.

Third, Actively recruit in the followling order: Those that have you first recruit first, then those second, then third. and so on until you use all the recruiting up. I give each recruit an hour that I recruit, unless there is one that I sign. So I actively recruit 10 recruits at a time.

Fourth, you can not remove a recruit from your board unless he signs with someone else. If you really want to, you can keep the signed recruit there to help limit, if you want to limit, the number you sign.

I recruit to 25 using this method and it works really well. At least for me it works really well. It forces me not to get crazy in trying really improve a team and sacrifice the needs of a team. I think in the last 5 seasons I have taken on only one walkon, a kicker, but he is so bad at kicking, my punter handles all kicks. Also, I think the best class I have had was #25 in the nation. Most classes were in the mid 50s.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #90
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Piecee
Here is my latest attempt to recruit in such a way as I end up with a realistic recruiting class for my team (Virginia Tech). (All of the other methods I have explained in this thread have failed so far.)

1) I search for 5 star recruits that have my school at their top choice. If any players come up I add them to my recruiting board. (1 recruit is added is the result.)

2) I do a search for recruits in my pipeline states that are 4 star recruits and have my school as one of their top three choices. (I add another 10 recruits.)

3) I do a search for 3 star recruits who have my school as their top choice and add them to my board. (I add another 11 recruits.)

4) I search for any 3, 4 or 5 star recruits from in-state (Virginia), regardless of their level of interest in my school, and add them. (Another 6 are added.)

5) If I am in need of a FB I will put one or more of the best available on my board who have some interest in my school regardless of what state they hail from or star rating. (In this case I did not need one.)

6) I will only put 2 star recruits on my board if my position needs cannot be meet by the above steps. (It is rate for my school to sign 2 star recruits.)

I end up with 29 recruits. I will fill all my player needs from among these players. I will never add any other recruits to the board unless I have no choice as a result of the positions I must fill. If I do have to add them I will repeat the steps above.

Since my school only signs a 5 star guy once every five years I will only sign a five star recruit once very five years. Since my school has never landed more than 5 4/5 star players I will sign no more than 5 4/5 star players. Since no more than about 38% of my teams recruiting class have historically been from outside of Virginia I will try my best to not sign a higher percentage of out-of-state recruits myself. I will only offer as many scholarships as I have senors graduating. (In this case it is 18.) (If I end up having a player leave early for the draft I will allow the CPU to add a walk-on player to my roster and then cut this player in the following year. If this happens I will consider it as if I lost one of my players because has was kicked off or quit the team.) Since 13 of the 29 recruits on my board are from Virginia I will end up offering a scholarship to almost every one as long as I do not violate the sign no more than 5 4/5 star players total rule. I will make maximum use of scouting time and recruiting time. After I sign the 18 players I need I will remove all other players from my board. I will then add and offer scholarships to the least talented 1 star recruits available. I will do this to make my total scholarships offered number reach 25. This will prevent the CPU from adding unwanted recruits to my team at the end of recruiting season. I will later cut all of these 1 star players.
THE RESULTS ARE IN

I completed a recruting year while simulating all games in dynasty mode and now I can report how well my latest recruting strategy for realistic recruting class worked out. I accomplished just about all I set out to do. The only area I failed was in not being able to get enough 3 star recruits from in-state. This was because the game did not generate enough who were interested in my school when I set up my recruiting board. By conrast when I set up my board the game created too many (meaning an unrealistic number) 4 star recruits who were interested in my school. Instead of fighting with other schools to get the ones I wanted I ended up just picking the five best ones from Virgnia. Out of all the recruits I added to my board only 4 or 5 ended up being taken from me by other schools (at least by the end of the 12 week of the season) and none of these were 4 star recruits. (I actually do no know what happened the 4 stars I did not since after i took them off of my board.) This state of affairs is a joke.

Last edited by Warren Piecee; 02-18-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #91
MVP

Quote:
THE RESULTS ARE IN

I completed a recruting year while simulating all games in dynasty mode and now I can report how well my latest recruting strategy for realistic recruting class worked out. I accomplished just about all I set out to do. The only area I failed was in not being able to get enough 3 star recruits from in-state. This was because the game did not generate enough who were interested in my school when I set up my recruiting board. By conrast when I set up my board the game created too many (meaning an unrealistic number) 4 star recruits who were interested in my school. Instead of fighting with other schools to get the ones I wanted I ended up just picking the five best ones from Virgnia. Out of all the recruits I added to my board only 4 or 5 ended up being taken from me by other schools and none of these were 4 star recruits. This state of affairs is a joke.
What school?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #92
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcduggan
What school?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
I play with Virginia Tech. I do realize that my methods might yield different results with a different team.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #93
Pro

I did some basic math that might be of use to those who seek realistic recruiting results. The game rosters are set at 70 players which is 18% lower than the 85 scholarship limit of actual college teams. Actual teams are limited to offering no more than 25 new scholarships a year. If you reduce this number by 18% to compensate for the fact that the game rosters only have 70 players the number drops to 20.5. Therefore, any person who seeks realistic recruiting results might want to limit the total number of recruits that can be signed in one year to just 21 regardless of how many seniors may be graduating in a given year. If you do have more than 21 players leaving in a year then you might say getting stuck with a walk-on player that the game adds to your roster is realistic since actual teams do sometimes end up having a walk-on player in the top 85 of their 112-man roster [?] because they do sometimes do not have all 85 scholarship spots filled. If it were me I would say that it would be fair to replace and cut this player a year later.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #94
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicarl
Like many of you, I feel the recruiting is too easy even on heisman. I limit the quality of players I go after and try to sign just as many players as I need. I haven't seen anyone else that does this, but if I over sign players I will write down the ratings of the players I cut( usually a quality backup that just doesn't get to play) and then find a team that would use him and just edit that player. I always play as NC State so I'll transfer them to ECU or Wake or a MAC school. Adds a little rivalry to it to play against your old players.
It is nice to see that there is someone our there who takes things even further than I do to ensure the best chance possible for the most realistic simulation possible. We think a like and I salute you.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #95
MVP

Quote:
I play with Virginia Tech. I do realize that my methods might yield different results with a different team.
How did you determine which players to recruit? You may have posted it previously but I didn't check.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #96
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcduggan
How did you determine which players to recruit? You may have posted it previously but I didn't check.
Because it would take a lot of typing please pardon my referring you to a post I made earlier in the thread for an answer to your question. If you start at the very end of the thread and work backwards you will find it quickly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »