Home

NCAA Football 14 Video - First Look at New Gameplay Engine

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 14 Video - First Look at New Gameplay Engine within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #41
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
I get that the video was to show off the new running animations but man, if this is any indication, offenses will have a big advantage over defense this year. At the 1:18 mark the WVU running back manages to bowl over two Louisville defensive players - a DL and either another DL or LB. Really?

Those truck moves look overpowered, too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 11
No mention on new teams or if FCS is back.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #43
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NCAA Football 14 Video - First Look at New Gameplay Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I get that the video was to show off the new running animations but man, if this is any indication, offenses will have a big advantage over defense this year. At the 1:18 mark the WVU running back manages to bowl over two Louisville defensive players - a DL and either another DL or LB. Really?

Those truck moves look overpowered, too.
A couple of the trucks looked great, but the others looked like the defender was trying to tackle a city bus, not another human being of similar size.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #44
Rookie

Tyler_Bullard's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporub83
works for me. But then again I've never really had a problem having fun with NCAA.
Yep I'm the same way. This is always my most anticipated game.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #45
Rookie

Re: NCAA Football 14 Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Yeah, I am not trying to be a downer, I am just trying to set my expectations within reason. I know other sports sims have sliding at times too but not where it allows a player to cover more ground than they should. In Madden 13 the players don't just float over the field in place, which I understand happening at times because they are not on an actual field but they "glide/slide" covering too much ground. Maybe it stands out so much in a football game due to the whole "game of inches" concept but again hopefully this looks noticeably different from an actual game play view.

To illustrate what I am talking about, I know the game is capable of realistic looking foot planting with minimal sliding because it happened occasionally in M13, like in this gif.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...planting2.gif/

I am hoping the cuts look like that gif in M25/NCAA 14 from a game play view more so than this video clip, also from M13, where the ball carrier never stops covering ground due to gliding/sliding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77lGcUsL4bM
Without full gameplay its tough to say, but watching the Arkansas back at 0:30 plant and stop to change direction looks promising to address the situation in that youtube vid you posted.

The way I look at sliding it by equating cleats on a field to tires on a racetrack. You throw enough force/speed into it and there will be some give before it grips so a small amount of sliding to me looks natural. What doesn't look natural is exactly what you pointed out where the sliding results in no loss of speed.

Overall though this looks like a step in the right direction (no pun intended)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #46
Rookie

BLACKjersey53's Arena

I've already played out about 50 scenarios where I have to hurdle over somebody to get to the endzone. The very first collision was beautiful.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #47
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

After watching the video. Overall it looks decent and not to excited with more footage and up to date footage at that. But a few things that worry me right now. One is that the global speed on how fast the players move is still a little to fast. They need to slow it down a little more. 2 they mention of the new and improve run blocking. While it is early and all. Why didn't they mention anything about pass blocking as well. Pass blocking better be improve as well or the 20 new option plays will useless as well. The AI blocking has be redone and over hauled. Sounds nice. But would love to see more video on it first before I happy with it. But the first video looked nice. Decent start to the hype year.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 8

I like everything I am seeing. The only thing I don't like about the cutting is that the running backs seem to be going too fast to be making cuts like that. IRL you would most likely end up tearing an ACL if you stuck your foot in the ground the way the players seem to be doing in the video.

What running backs do in real life before cutting is sort of shorten their step. The problem with EA recreating this animation is that they cannot tell when you are going to cut (This is why the cuts do not look natural. It wouldn't make sense for a couple quick steps or feet chopping animations to play out when you go to cut. It would take away from control). My solution would be to add a quick step control to slow down the running back or have the running back always moving and the player has to decide how to steer him. Sort of like a car.

Last edited by johnnyg713; 04-03-2013 at 01:25 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »