Home

LHN, SECN, ABC, ESPN2, ESPNU branding...

This is a discussion on LHN, SECN, ABC, ESPN2, ESPNU branding... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2013, 02:36 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 21
Re: LHN, SECN, ABC, ESPN2, ESPNU branding...

I always thought it would be cool to have multiple TV networks like ESPN, FOX, CBS, etc. In fact, thinking about it, it could be a cool way to reflect the growth and power of a conference if TV contracts could be a part of dynasty mode. Rate schools based on their media markets, fan bases, and such and have the networks also have their own ratings.

Of course, that lands somewhere into crazy town and could never happen, but it sounds fun.

If nothing else, it would be cool to reflect the power/prestige of a program by how often they're on ABC/ESPN rather than shoved off to ESPNU.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:55 AM   #18
Rookie

BonesKnows85's Arena

OVR: 6

I'd like to see CBS in the game for big time SEC broadcasts. EA has dealt with CBS and included them in a game before. That "greatest presentation/most god awful gameplay" college hoops game that made College Basketball Gaming RIP.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #19
MVP

Pezell04x's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
Has anyone ever asked the devs why these aren't included in the game for presentation?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer. Just wondering if an answer has ever been stated on record.
$$$$$$$$$

(10 $s)
Old 06-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #20
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
Good points, though I don't know if I agree with "taking them off".

The ESPN broadcast style is fairly ubiquitous, but there are some branding differences.

Last year for SEC games

Last year ESPNU games

Last year ESPN2

LHN games

I think I do agree with your reasoning as to why they haven't put it in. That was what I meant in the OP when I said I think I already know. These little details may not be feature heavy enough to justify the time and resources.

There have been small iterations of broadcast branding in past sports games, but I just always thought it would be cool if a game with a liscence used it all the way. Every week with a full schedule of ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNU, and ABC games. You know how now in dynasty you can click on the entire nations schedule for that week, and there is a logo for national/regional broadcast games? I imagine replacing those icons with ESPN family of channel icons.

Only the top teams get on TV and only the top games get those primetime/attractive slots while lesser games get ESPNU or noon games.

Always thought that could tie into program prestige and such too. How many ESPN primetime games do you get in a season? How many times are you thrown on ESPNU at noon?

In real life when you look at the ticker on the bottom of the screen, the games being played on a ESPN family channel will have the branding of that game.

I think it just adds a layer of fresh appeal to each game that you play. Big games feel bigger. That said, as much as I'd personally enjoy it, I can still see that it's probably not a priority for the dev team when it comes to presentation since they are still trying to get one presentation style right.

I am still wondering has it ever been asked and answered though. My assumption might not be what they actually feel.
This is doable and something that should be in the game.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
MVP

MrSerendipity's Arena

OVR: 13

I definitely like the idea of specific branding. As a Longhorn, I'd definitely like to see the Longhorn Network in the bottom for those specific games. But I'd also be willing to sacrifice that if they'd just throw up the conferences in the corner of each ticker. With that said, I think we'll only see this on Next Gen and it will likely be years down the road. As for money, I don't think this would cost EA much. It's added advertisement for ESPN, CBS and Fox if they do it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #22
MVP

BROman's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox831
There's no way this isn't doable. Games like FIFA 13 pull off having multiple overlays and keeping great presentation all while being chalk full with hundreds of teams and tons of features. NCAA can do it too.
Yep, FIFA has two different sets of announcers and it works just fine, so there is no reason why NCAA can't offer the same, except the NCAA team is not near the same level as the FIFA team. Wouldn't it be cool if Brad/Kirk called the national games and two no-names called the regional game? It would definitely add to the big game feel.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROman
Yep, FIFA has two different sets of announcers and it works just fine, so there is no reason why NCAA can't offer the same, except the NCAA team is not near the same level as the FIFA team.
FIFA also undoubtedly has a much bigger budget given that it's EA Sports' top seller by a wide margin.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #24
Rookie

Colt45's Arena

OVR: 7

If money is the only problem, EA is doing it wrong. They should go into CBS, FOX, etc, and pitch having their logos in the game as an advertisement instead of a license. You allow them into your game instead of asking their permission. If they did that, they could have almost any brand they wanted.

Where the money comes in (like in the ESPN deal, if there was any) comes from the exclusivity of the logos, something EA doesn't have to worry about now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »