Home

Official NCAA store selling player jerseys by name

This is a discussion on Official NCAA store selling player jerseys by name within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #41
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Official NCAA store selling player jerseys by name

cuttingteeth is rolling in this thread, just saying.

I played college ball at a pretty small school, but if the general public thinks many of these athletes aren't getting paid, they simply aren't aware. I've seen some alumni get togethers that would bring serious ncaa sancations if they were to be made to light. Now, I'm not saying they get cash necessarily...but even this small school was "rewarding" it's players in one way or another.

With that said, here are my thoughts.

1. The NCAA is making far too much money off of sports in general.
2. It is unfair to keep all of it for themselves, the same way it is to pay only the athletes that play in those sports.

I think we need to realize just how big ncaa sports are as an enterprise, and come to realistic conclusions about spreading the profit amongst the students, and student athletes.

I think students deserve just as much of a percentage as student athletes, because they ultimately pay more towards the school than the student athletes. Let the students earn a % towards their tuition, or a discounted tuition, and give the student athletes a stipend. Say you get your % quarterly, or every 6 months.

Until we start taxing the NCAA, it is simply unfair all around. A scholarship to the school with room and board is NOTHING, when you consider how much those athletes are bringing in, especially in football and basketball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #42
Banned

i would also like to state something about the valuable degrees that they players are earning.

For one- while you can major in several areas, for the degrees deemed "difficult" for a student athlete, you need (I needed to) to meet with the dean and an academic advisory committee to approve it. A regular student can go after any degree of their choice without question.

The players on this team had 2-3 MANDATORY study halls.

Of course, I was actually trying to earn a degree in a reasonable amount of time, and again, had to apply to an academic advisory committee to get out of these study halls to be able to take more credits from actual classes.

The study halls by in large, included large groups of football players, and football was taught. The team has the best tutors in the school dedicated to them 3 days a week and in emergency scenarios.

I ended up playing 2 years, and I didn't come back after that. I did go into coaching, not because I couldn't play, but because it was actually holding me back from obtaining my degree quickly enough. THAT is what is happening, especially to these super stars.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:03 AM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 0

If the athletes are going to be paid then it had better be all athletes. Not just football or basketball. I am talking soccer,wrestling,baseball,lacrosse,golf. Basically whatever sport is supported by a school. Women athletes better get paid as well. And while you are at it someone better be in charge of these accounts. I wouldn't want the Tyrann Mathieus of the world snorting or smoking all this free money up. You got to pay bills that's what the money is for right? Right. Give me a f'n break.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:35 AM   #44
Pro

Ky3217's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingteeth
So...you walk everywhere you go up there in Michigan...in the Winter, even? I didn't think so. Transportation is a necessity, and no matter if their car, a friend's car, public transit...there's going to be costs.

Don't tell me what I can't do, either...especially after I've already done it.

Oh...and this... http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...lling-business
I'll use MSU as an example. At MSU, there is an on campus bus system. This bus system costs $50 for a semester. If someone doesnt want to pay that, they can pay 60 cents for a ride.

And actually, yes. Even with the bus system, plenty of people still walk. Even in the winter. Even at MSU which has a pretty big campus. Heck, dome people even still bike during the winter.

So no, a car is not a necessity.

People keep acting like the NCAA just hoards this money. Guess what. If you buy a jersey, the money goes to the school's sports programs. All of them. Why? Because most college sports programs do not turn a profit

https://www.twitch.tv/ky3217

Last edited by Ky3217; 08-09-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:20 AM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky3217
The fact is, everything a college athlete needs is provided by the scholarships. Housing, food, even clothes are provided by the scholarship and team. And on top of that, they get a free education. They dont need to be paid.
Are you serious? Let me ask you this, when you went to college did you ever eat out with friends? Drive somewhere? Buy anything? If the answer is yes (it is), then you'll realize the absolute absurdity of your argument.

Quote:
This bus system costs $50 for a semester.
Where should the players get this money?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #46
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.

Quote:

That picture alone is why you better hope and pray that your school is soon allowed to pay athletes to be there because...damn. That isn't helping recruit anyone. Just saying. I mean, the rewards system at MSU should at least include thermal underwear, warm socks, etc. You're school should be sponsored by Carhart or North Face, man. Also, though, if people are seriously choosing to walk or ride bikes in that crap (I mean, seriously choosing to do so, rather than they "don't have the funds"), that's a whole other level of a problem going on.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #47
Pro

Ky3217's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormisbruin
Are you serious? Let me ask you this, when you went to college did you ever eat out with friends? Drive somewhere? Buy anything? If the answer is yes (it is), then you'll realize the absolute absurdity of your argument.

Where should the players get this money?
Such things are a privilege. Not a necessity. As for a car, actually no, I didn't take one because I didn't feel like paying for it. Walking and the bus system suited me just fine.

As for the $50 for a bus pass, that's something that can their parents could make in one day of work. Even if they're only paid minimum wage. And as I said, if they don't want to pay for that, they can always pay 60 cents for a ride.

Also, your point about the picture is irrelevant as last time I checked, MSU is doing just fine in recruiting. If a player doesn't want to go to a cold school, they won't go to a cold school. Whether of not they're paid will have almost no influence on that.

https://www.twitch.tv/ky3217
Old 08-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #48
Pro

laxman490's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
As for the $50 for a bus pass, that's something that can their parents could make in one day of work. Even if they're only paid minimum wage. And as I said, if they don't want to pay for that, they can always pay 60 cents for a ride.
that comment just screams someone who is so out of touch and who's parents paid for everything. your parents probably paid for your gas until you graduated college too. you have obviously never had to live pay check to pay check.

also, someone commented on "free money." so players arent earning their scholarships by playing, working out, training, etc. the money isnt free, they are earning 100x the amount of their scholarship.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »