Home

Throwing the deep ball

This is a discussion on Throwing the deep ball within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-20-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: Throwing the deep ball

I hit my WR more often than I'll air mail it.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #10
Pro

barsoffury's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazey
I'm digging this up because I am having issues throwing deep.

Anyone who is good at throwing deep (particularly against users) - is their a technique to it? It isn't just having a QB with high throwing power is it - because like what has been said, I am still underthrowing those?

Is their a time in the pattern when it is too late to throw the deep ball and it will be underthrown regardless of attributes?

Is their a technique to it (like what prd689 said)?

I understand lead pass and touch/bullet throws, but I cannot overthrow a deep ball either.
The best way to achieve a good deep ball is to lower QB accuracy slider down to either 5 or maybe 10. This way you'll be sure to see the QB lead a receiver by several yards. Not always but sometimes.... Also I find with the lower accuracy it leads to more diving, jumping catches.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:18 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

My offense is geared towards throwing the long ball. I sub my fastest receivers outside with a set of solid hands inside (frequently four wide sets), and when I notice my guys get a stride on their defender I know that by the time the ball gets there they will have more than enough steps needed. I play on QBA 5 and I always get my QB warmed up throwing sticks and slants before I go for the big gains. I can either throw it over the top (loft) or throw a 10-15 yard streak when the CB lets go but before the safety picks it up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 3

I cant change sliders unfortunately - playing in a league with other users. One of the guys absolutely kills me with the deep ball, he throws it with perfection and i cannot stop it.

I run a very quick passing short passing oriented scheme that is hard to stop and works, but he is starting to bring everyone in the box and press coverage and i cannot get the long ball working at all to open that back up. There must be a way on default sliders because he is killing me with it on offense.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
All Star

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
I cant change sliders unfortunately - playing in a league with other users. One of the guys absolutely kills me with the deep ball, he throws it with perfection and i cannot stop it.

I run a very quick passing short passing oriented scheme that is hard to stop and works, but he is starting to bring everyone in the box and press coverage and i cannot get the long ball working at all to open that back up. There must be a way on default sliders because he is killing me with it on offense.
You should be able to destroy him if he does that. Against press coverage (especially with no safety help) is by far the easiest way to complete the deep ball. Have your outside guys running streaks. Find which of his corners are weak against press and have that be your 1st read. If that CB's jam is beaten, simply throw that receiver the deep ball (lead him by pushing up on the stick).
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 05-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 3

Is there a timing with leading him? Do i want to press up before i throw (and hold it down) or do i want to press up as i throw - do i bullet pass or tap pass or between? I think thats my issue is i am not leading them correctly, because i try to but i cant seem to work it correctly
Old 05-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
All Star

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Is there a timing with leading him? Do i want to press up before i throw (and hold it down) or do i want to press up as i throw - do i bullet pass or tap pass or between? I think thats my issue is i am not leading them correctly, because i try to but i cant seem to work it correctly
Yes, you do it before throwing it and you hold the stick up. You'll obviously want to hold up right before throwing it since it's the same stick that moves your QB so if you hold up way before throwing your QB will step up in the pocket.

Whether you bullet or lob it mainly depends on the safety, but also depends on the corner. If there's no safety, chuck it deep and let the WR go get it. If there's a safety coming over then you'll wanna fire it in there or else the safety will try to go get it along with the WR. But, if you need to throw a bullet, you also need to watch the corner because he could easily pick it off underneath too.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »