Home

Having a hard time handing ball off on read options

This is a discussion on Having a hard time handing ball off on read options within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Having a hard time handing ball off on read options

I second the notion that unless the buttons are broke, I'm stumped on how this can be difficult.

When the back is right next to you, hold x to hand off, do nothing to keep. I mean yeah there is a window of opportunity for it's success, but the same window exists for kicking the ball, throwing passes on time, pitching, and virtually everything else.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
It is a bit of a tight window between taking the snap, and pressing the button to hand it off. Just guessing, but the OP may be late with the handoff? I don't run the option much, but when I do, that handoff is a little sooner than I instinctively want to do it.

But agreed, there is a tutorial in the game that walks through all 3 phases of the option.
It sounds like you and BleedGreen (and possibly the OP) do the option in a way that had never even occurred to me before. It sounds like you tap A to snap the ball, let go of it, and then hit it again quickly if you want to hand it off. That's really counter intuitive to me.

I just hold onto A from the snap and through the read and if the read is a give it's handed off automatically. If it's not the correct read (IE. the DE crashes) then I let go of A and the QB keeps it. I'd imagine it's a lot easier (and quicker) to let go of A in time to keep it then to hit A a 2nd time if it's a give.

My way:
Hold A = handoff
Let go of A = keep

Your way:
tap A, let go of A, hold A = handoff
tap A = keep
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 09-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
It sounds like you and BleedGreen (and possibly the OP) do the option in a way that had never even occurred to me before. It sounds like you tap A to snap the ball, let go of it, and then hit it again quickly if you want to hand it off. That's really counter intuitive to me.

I just hold onto A from the snap and through the read and if the read is a give it's handed off automatically. If it's not the correct read (IE. the DE crashes) then I let go of A and the QB keeps it. I'd imagine it's a lot easier (and quicker) to let go of A in time to keep it then to hit A a 2nd time if it's a give.

My way:
Hold A = handoff
Let go of A = keep

Your way:
tap A, let go of A, hold A = handoff
tap A = keep
I do it BleedGreen's way too. First button press for hike. Any other button maneuvering is for the play itself.

And he doesn't tap A to keep. He just doesn't press anything and it is automatically a keep.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #12
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
I do it BleedGreen's way too. First button press for hike. Any other button maneuvering is for the play itself.

And he doesn't tap A to keep. He just doesn't press anything and it is automatically a keep.
The tap A is for the snap. He then does nothing else.
My keep is to hold A for the snap and then let go of it.

For your give the 1st A is for the snap also.
Tap A (snap) and let go of it.
Hit A a 2nd time to give.

My give is simply:
hold A (snap and give combined).

Last edited by jello1717; 09-09-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
The tap A is for the snap. He then does nothing else.
My keep is to hold A for the snap and then let go of it.
I think it would be more counter-intuitive for me to do it your way because no other plays work like that in the game. 99.9% of the plays work where you tap x/a to hike, let go, and then press more buttons as you see the play develop. I'd be thinking much more to hold x through the snap for just that one play, while every other play works differently. My way essentially is the exact same way you'd bullet pass a bubble screen.

I think it just feels better, more immersive, to have my thumb resting on x/a while reading the defender, pressing and holding x/a to give the ball off and holding pat to keep the ball.

If it works better for you the other way then that's cool too. I never even knew it could be done that way. I guess it's just preference.

Last edited by DorianDonP; 09-09-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
I think it would be more counter-intuitive for me to do it your way because no other plays work like that in the game. 99.9% of the plays work where you tap x/a to hike, let go, and then press more buttons as you see the play develop. I'd be thinking much more to hold x through the snap for just that one play, while every other play works differently. My way essentially is the exact same way you'd bullet pass a bubble screen.

I think it just feels better, more immersive, to have my thumb resting on x/a while reading the defender, pressing and holding x/a to give the ball off and holding pat to keep the ball.

If it works better for you the other way then that's cool too. I never even knew it could be done that way. I guess it's just preference.
It's probably an offensive philosophy difference between us. I know you were exaggerating with 99.9%, but in my pb, 23% of my plays are options so this method works on nearly 1/4 of my plays. That's the way I've done options since at least NCAA '10 and, like you, it never even occurred to me that you could do it another way.

The most important thing though, is that if the OP is doing it your way and he struggles with it, I'd strongly recommend that he try it my way as it's much, much easier for me like this.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:26 AM   #15
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

the thing is, jello, I never knew you could press X to snap it and just hold it down to do the handoff! I had never heard of people doing that before. Also, I swear I watched a last gen NCAA football video tutorial about how to run the option and it said to press X to snap and X again if u want to handoff, so I have been going about it that way for years. But I agree with DorianDonP, it would be weird doing it that way because no other plays are like that. Just to be clear, I'm not saying you are doing it the 'wrong' way, I just prefer my way.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »