Home

Offensive plays that are too successful?

This is a discussion on Offensive plays that are too successful? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Offensive plays that are too successful?

What are some plays you guys think that are just too good? I'm messing with my custom playbook in my Dynasty and I already limit the amount of plays I can have depending on my QB's experience plus the number of years I've been at the school. I play in Coach Mode and am trying to keep my playbook as balanced for the CPU as I can.

Off the top of my head I feel like dives and trap runs are always getting 4+ yards per carry. I'm thinking about making all run plays inside having to be something besides those two plays. Slams, draws, etc. Are FB dives too successful? I always assumed they were and never ran them. Same for QB sneaks.

Are there any option plays out of Coach Mode that are too successful? So far my QB's seem to run the read option at a realistic rate in Coach Mode and it's not a guarantee to even gain yards.

Thanks.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2017, 10:05 PM   #2
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Offensive plays that are too successful?

Is 4 yards a big deal? I'd like to know what the average YPC is in the NCAA. I'd wager greater than 4. Sorry I can't get into it more.

edit: I see what you're saying, always more than 4. That could be a big deal.

edit 2: The most helpful thing is to develop the yips and have big games give you a lot more problems than meaningless ones. When I played offensive coordinator for a team I had already left, I put up as many yards and points as I wanted to, but when I play on offense with my main team in big games I struggle. LOL. 0 QB accuracy is important too.

Last edited by Hellisan; 11-21-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:28 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Yes, the issue is the play never not going for a decent gain. As UMASS at 68 overall, I was able to drive down the field two drives in a row running dives and traps each play against a 90+ overall Wisconsin team. Once I stopped calling the dive and trap plays and called every other run play instead, I only managed 110 more yards the rest of the game and never scored again either.

I haven't seen anymore plays yet, those were the only ones I remembered being overpowered from playing this since release. I know as human that the read option can get overpowering against the CPU, but in Coach Mode that play is churning out yards at a much more realistic rate so far in my experience.

After fixing my playbook my 68 overall UMass team has

Lost 6-30 @ Wisconsin
Won 26-13 vs FCS East
Lost 10-27 @ K-State

If I had kept the dive and trap plays I'd have literally been able to win all 3 games because those plays, especially the trap, are impossible to stop for the CPU for whatever reason.

― Plato
Old 11-22-2017, 12:41 AM   #4
Rookie

Trojan32's Arena

OVR: 0

As a Coach mode player, I've had a lot of success with the TE corner with trips to the other side. That being said, I've also been sacked and picked running that play too.

Read option with QB into the boundary with trips to the wide side seems to be successful quite a bit.

Defensively, yes you can blitz but you can also get burned.

A money play for me with running team is 4-3 with any sort of 3 LB blitz (edge slant etc) IF they run. If the pass, it's not good. The flaw is that with a 2TE formation the CPU almost always runs.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:53 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

I don't allow myself to use certain blitzes against 2 TE sets. Some will disrupt the run every single time.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2017, 01:09 AM   #6
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

I limit myself to the use of 4-verts once per half. Most of the time I use it 0 or 1 times per game. One of the variations of this play has the TE streaking down the middle and is usually money.

I don't find the dive plays to be overpowered in my games. I rarely get 4+ yards on those plays. Those are plays I dial up from a heavy formation on 2nd/3rd and 1 or 2 to go. Pretty successful at picking those short conversions up, but sometimes a lineman will get pushed back or a LB will get through for the tfl. If you call dives every play and go down the field 3-4 yards at a time, then it can be cheesy, but not if you mix it in every so often.

Personally, I find the read option to work pretty often, but the cpu will be waiting to take out both options every so often and I will also miss a read once in a while. Plays like this should be pretty successful, which is why teams run them so much irl. A good deal of risk, too, because your QB tires out and is likely to fumble if calling it too much.

As for the cpu, I find that my team can't really cover them on dig routes and out routes. At least not on my slider settings and with my team's talent level.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:21 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

I find offense in general to be too easy without turning it into an interception fest, usually.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:40 AM   #8
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjames1992
I find offense in general to be too easy without turning it into an interception fest, usually.
I play on Heisman with most of the cpu defensive sliders (rush defense, coverage) set to maximum and most of the hu'mon offensive sliders (run blocking, pass blocking, throw accuracy) set to minimum. This gives me an adequate challenge most of the time. Sometimes I roll over really good teams. Sometimes mediocre teams mess me up. That's all I can ask for, lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »