Home

My apologies.

This is a discussion on My apologies. within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50
My apologies.

Sorry guys, I have to admit I'm a pretty crappy Comm. Leader. I'm pretty busy with the new baby and work and really haven't given this the proper consideration this deserves. But I'm gonna try and get some new stuff tips-wise to help out guys with the game. Thing is, I love this game more than any other videogame I've ever played. I have 100GB of footage on my HDD of gameplay. I haven't been able to make any really good vids due to my lack of expertise with Sony Vegas. So if there's someone who could give a fella some tips on that, I would be more than happy to get some really interesting stuff I've learned over my playtime.

Here's a little tidbit I've found out. The RS controls where you strike the ball in all situations. Passing, shooting, freekicks and penalties. Now don't ask me how to turn the controls sideways, I'm Pro Cam only. But I play all manual save shooting which is on semi, and I've learned to put the ball pretty much where I want with shooting and passing. You just gotta figure out where you want the ball to go in relation to which foot and how your body is aligned. Also the LB is my best friend now, especially in traffic. A light tap will settle the ball and allow you more control in traffic. LT is no good and will kill all momentum. Still feather the RT like a gas pedal to control forward momentum. Slow play is the key and controlled passing. Like I said before, I only know Pro Cam, so my gameplay might be totally different. But here's a little help for some guys. Happy footie!

P.S. Had an incident where MM died, so I'm back in season 2. Really liking the update. Was able to get back to WC in no time. Guys just handle better, even with default rosters. My Highlight Reel was with less than super-players, so that made me proud. I'm gonna burn a whole in this disc until Oct!

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
Pro

FORMULA316's Arena

OVR: 14
Icon14 Re: My apologies.

Thanks Brian. My wife and I are expecting our first in May.
Maybe you can post and FIFA and new baby tips???

I'd love to be able to use Pro Cam, I figure you could get a
better perspective for shot's on goal, but how on earth do
you defend? I always feel as if I have a blind spot on defense
and I certainly give up more direct runs to my own goal to
opposing strikers. Any tips for playing D on Pro Cam?

Also, may I trouble you for your camera settings?

Good luck with the new child
Mario aka FORMULA316
Old 04-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

Re: My apologies.

Okay here's my camera settings.
Pro cam Zoom 2 clicks from right.
Pro Cam Speed all the way right
Pro Cam Swing all the way right.

Gives me a really fun and immersive experience. As you alluded to earlier, it really helps with shooting. The only issues I've found is down in the box where the ball will either get kicked out real fast or hits the post and kicks back out fast. Cam can't keep up. Then I just point in the direction after giving a glance at the radar and have actually gotten some mean goals from it.

As to D, it's actually easier for me to play D, as it goes into a birdseye view down near the box on freekicks and lobs. The key to playing D is that you have to use the LS and sprint in moderation. The A button will get it done a lot, but you can actually get the LS and A button fighting each other. So if you want to finish the steal with A, lighten up on the LS movements. With myself, I actually like to use B for the Double Team and take my man away to cover the passing lanes. Be prepared to tap the A a lot as that will make the player knock the man off the ball. Now after you hit A, hit LB to stop the ball from getting away. Also the RT comes in handy to go from a tackle to a shield move. I normally play it like this. Take a good diagonal pursuit to cut the angle to goal, run beside the man manually and then tap A to make the tackle. Off of that you can get the ball upfield using the passing technique I described before. The lofted pass with topspin works great, but you can put some wicked spin on crosses if you can see what your body position is, which foot and where you want to hit the ball. That's why I wish they had a practice mode. You can practice shooting all day long in the Arena, but the passing stuff I had to wing during games.

Even if you don't want to switch to Pro Cam, I'd start playing with the RS after you hit the shot button. I know for fact that the RS works with semi shotting and manual passing. And it makes for a much more controlled game! Brian

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 04-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
*n th* Fl*w*rs

southernbelle's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
Okay here's my camera settings.
Pro cam Zoom 2 clicks from right.
Pro Cam Speed all the way right
Pro Cam Swing all the way right.

Gives me a really fun and immersive experience. As you alluded to earlier, it really helps with shooting. The only issues I've found is down in the box where the ball will either get kicked out real fast or hits the post and kicks back out fast. Cam can't keep up. Then I just point in the direction after giving a glance at the radar and have actually gotten some mean goals from it.

As to D, it's actually easier for me to play D, as it goes into a birdseye view down near the box on freekicks and lobs. The key to playing D is that you have to use the LS and sprint in moderation. The A button will get it done a lot, but you can actually get the LS and A button fighting each other. So if you want to finish the steal with A, lighten up on the LS movements. With myself, I actually like to use B for the Double Team and take my man away to cover the passing lanes. Be prepared to tap the A a lot as that will make the player knock the man off the ball. Now after you hit A, hit LB to stop the ball from getting away. Also the RT comes in handy to go from a tackle to a shield move. I normally play it like this. Take a good diagonal pursuit to cut the angle to goal, run beside the man manually and then tap A to make the tackle. Off of that you can get the ball upfield using the passing technique I described before. The lofted pass with topspin works great, but you can put some wicked spin on crosses if you can see what your body position is, which foot and where you want to hit the ball. That's why I wish they had a practice mode. You can practice shooting all day long in the Arena, but the passing stuff I had to wing during games.

Even if you don't want to switch to Pro Cam, I'd start playing with the RS after you hit the shot button. I know for fact that the RS works with semi shotting and manual passing. And it makes for a much more controlled game! Brian

to be clear, you use RS (or R3 for PS3) AFTER you release shoot/pass buttons?
Old 04-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle
to be clear, you use RS (or R3 for PS3) AFTER you release shoot/pass buttons?
Yep. It's kinda a quick move, but you can either just put the stick to a specific postion or whip the stick across to put some really wicked spin on the ball. Like I said, this is with semi, and I'd assume, manual shooting, as well. I use all manual passing. But the problem with passing is it almost always wants to kick away from the player if you don't trap it or do the RB and dummy and control after it passes you. I mostly just either go up or down on the RS to lob it or shoot a hard low pass. Start out in the arena and then do stuff like using it on goal kicks to get the feel. The whipping the RS has given me some serious ball spin, but it is really hard to get good shots on goal. But it makes for some really random gameplay! I'm actually pondering going full manual on shooting when I get this down. But the RS is the next level of control many of us have been missing out on. Try it!

Here's a vid where the ball kicked up and was able to trap and go right into shooting. I pushed up and left on the stick, but due to where the ball was, it actually came more underneath the ball but it put nice action on it.

Last edited by BrianFifaFan; 04-24-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2009, 03:24 AM   #6
*n th* Fl*w*rs

southernbelle's Arena

thanks brian... i am going to work on it. i am having trouble with timing and how it actually affects either trick stick or first touch when its a pass.

i do have one question... i have moved up to manual crossing, lob, and through pass. its been great for lob and cross, but the through pass is basically worthless now. any tips on how to be effective with manual through pass. i rarely can hit it hard enough and lobbed through passes are a joke! i am thinking about going back to assisted.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:18 AM   #7
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle
thanks brian... i am going to work on it. i am having trouble with timing and how it actually affects either trick stick or first touch when its a pass.

i do have one question... i have moved up to manual crossing, lob, and through pass. its been great for lob and cross, but the through pass is basically worthless now. any tips on how to be effective with manual through pass. i rarely can hit it hard enough and lobbed through passes are a joke! i am thinking about going back to assisted.
With the through pass, I basically don't use the stick, save to put topspin on it to make it a bit quicker. (up) But like I said, then it almost always kicks away from the reciver unless you dummy and follow the pass. For myself the RS is best for passes through the air. Now I can put the ball into space with control, as opposed to the arbitrary result that I seemed to have before. Keep working on your timing and it'll come. It takes a while to figure out "okay, I'm going this fast and I have the ball on my right foot, I need to hit the ball with on the bottom right to cross." Once you do, you'll get some really neat crosses with control, even better than the CPU calculated stuff.

Oh BTW, start using the LB/L1 a lot more when trying to control the ball. Think of it as a quick settle with your foot and use it to help get you into skills and through traffic.

Last edited by BrianFifaFan; 04-26-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:12 AM   #8
*n th* Fl*w*rs

southernbelle's Arena

^^
thanks for that brian, but actually, was taking a further step back. i am currently on:

pass assitance: semi
shot: semi
lob: manual
cross: manual
through: manual

lob's and cross' manual, really open up the game and recommend even the noobest of noob to give it a try.

1) however, i am having trouble with manual through balls... in fact, to the point where i am thinking about going back to assisted (i will stand up so everyone can throw rocks at me). i never seem able to hit through balls hard enough!

2) a guess the bigger question is the discussion between ratings and "skill on the sticks". i want to find the right balance, and i want to see differentiation, especially passing. i want to notice the difference between through balls with csec versus some scrub (or bendtner).

anyway, what are your thoughts on both issues?

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »