Home

"Soccer" in America

This is a discussion on "Soccer" in America within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: "Soccer" in America

Born American. Mexican family. I live by the motto "Support locally, watch globally" when it comes to club football. Been a Galaxy season ticket holder for a few years. Never been to Europe or having any connections there, so for me those leagues are whatever. However, I do watch every week because I love the sport.

I support the Mexican and USA national teams, but have more of a passion for El Tri.

Last edited by rckabillyRaider; 06-08-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
All Star

orion523's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK0wnag3
I find it funny how this site is made up of a lot of Americans who discovered soccer later in life after prioritising other sports.

For me, it's the other way around. Being English, I was brought up with football (soccer) and played it and watched it from an early age. And then after going to America on holiday five or six years ago I became a huge fan of NFL and MLB.
Me exactly. What turned me off to the NFL(still a big MLB fan) was the womanizing of the game as well as the league's hell bent philosophy of making the game Arena football outdoors. It doesn't all have to be about offense, which ironically is proven to anyone who gives soccer a chance. Sick of what American football had become I looked for something else and found..... well, football! Just not the American kind.
As for MLS, I'm from Philly so I tried to give the Union a chance, I really did but it felt like I was watching bush league baseball for lack of a better analogy.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
Me exactly. What turned me off to the NFL(still a big MLB fan) was the womanizing of the game as well as the league's hell bent philosophy of making the game Arena football outdoors. It doesn't all have to be about offense, which ironically is proven to anyone who gives soccer a chance. Sick of what American football had become I looked for something else and found..... well, football! Just not the American kind.
As for MLS, I'm from Philly so I tried to give the Union a chance, I really did but it felt like I was watching bush league baseball for lack of a better analogy.
i agree with the womanizing comment about the nfl. me im just tired of the complacency of the teams. they rather play it safe then going for it. i mean almost every team in the league is running some version of the coryell or west coast offense; both of which are getting close to 40 years old.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
MVP

FunkDockta27's Arena

OVR: 17

Yeah idk how many of my buddies this past week or so were like "You're watching that stuff? blah blah blah" being derrogatory and all...they need to give it a chance. I've watched 3 UEFA Euro games since yesterday. And we're talking 1-1, and 1-0 scores...awesome freakin matches tho.

GO IRELAND!!!

I keep an eye on the Redbulls being as thats my local team. And I wanna try to make a Galaxy-Redbulls game...but yeah definitley wouldnt be the same as most the European League games, or the Mexican games.

As for my favorite team idk...be a toss up between Everton (Tim Howard) and Barca (Messi...how can you not like the guy? he's freakin awesome!) I also follow the Airtricty League since I like my Irish ball...

My Cubs suck, The Bucs sucked, my Devils are gettin whooped by LA, Gators had an off year, and I still hate LeBron...honestly all I get to root for is my 2nd fave baseball team (Tampa) and the Irish right now. That and Irish Soccer Hooligans rock! I'd probably rather be in the pub with a bunch of drunk Irish hooligans than at a game lol

FIFA12 PS3
St Pats 44 pts; 2nd place

NCAA14 PS3
Career W-L: 50-39
NoTex 2013 CUSA Champs
Old 06-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkDockta27
Yeah idk how many of my buddies this past week or so were like "You're watching that stuff? blah blah blah" being derrogatory and all...they need to give it a chance. I've watched 3 UEFA Euro games since yesterday. And we're talking 1-1, and 1-0 scores...awesome freakin matches tho.

GO IRELAND!!!

I keep an eye on the Redbulls being as thats my local team. And I wanna try to make a Galaxy-Redbulls game...but yeah definitley wouldnt be the same as most the European League games, or the Mexican games.

As for my favorite team idk...be a toss up between Everton (Tim Howard) and Barca (Messi...how can you not like the guy? he's freakin awesome!) I also follow the Airtricty League since I like my Irish ball...

My Cubs suck, The Bucs sucked, my Devils are gettin whooped by LA, Gators had an off year, and I still hate LeBron...honestly all I get to root for is my 2nd fave baseball team (Tampa) and the Irish right now. That and Irish Soccer Hooligans rock! I'd probably rather be in the pub with a bunch of drunk Irish hooligans than at a game lol
lol its funny because last year i woulda been one of those guys. now that i understand the game, i can appreciate it more. i support the mls, i think it is growing at an acceptable rate and it will bring more american talent to the game in the next decade. it would be nice if we saw young european stars in the making come play here during the summer on loan.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #14
MVP

FunkDockta27's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamg0dly
lol its funny because last year i woulda been one of those guys. now that i understand the game, i can appreciate it more. i support the mls, i think it is growing at an acceptable rate and it will bring more american talent to the game in the next decade. it would be nice if we saw young european stars in the making come play here during the summer on loan.
yeah young ones bein the key...i mean we got sum older guys now...which is i guess a step in the right direction. Keane and Beckham and then Henry. I think it's definitely headin in the right direction tho. Doesn't hurt that out national team isn't just a straight joke either right now. Would still root for Ireland over the good ol' USA tho. Guess I'm not a "homer" tho lol jk.

Speaking of...just saw as I sent this my boy Messi dropped a hat trick on Brazil in a friendly

FIFA12 PS3

NCAA14 PS3
NoTex 2013 CUSA Champs
Old 06-10-2012, 02:02 AM   #15
BOOM!

gerg1234's Arena

I was definitely one of those "soccer sucks, blah, blah, blah" guys for most of my life. I paid attention during the World Cups in 2006 & 2010, but that was it. I got a job in Portland and some friends of mine took me to a Timbers game. I had a lot of fun and went out and bought FIFA 12 to learn more about the game. During a road trip to Seattle to watch Oregon State beat WSU the two soccer buddies talked me into supporting Liverpool. I watched Liverpool beat West Brom and I was hooked.

I now get crap from all my non-soccer buddies.
San Francisco Giants
Chicago Blackhawks
MLS: Portland Timbers
EPL: Liverpool FC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
MVP

FunkDockta27's Arena

The ol' lady isn't terribly impressed right now either...tho she will root for Deutschland secretly lol. Well, maybe not secretly when I start talkin about the Irish lol...

FIFA12 PS3

NCAA14 PS3
NoTex 2013 CUSA Champs

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »