Home

Match engine thoughts - to make better sliders

This is a discussion on Match engine thoughts - to make better sliders within the EA Sports FIFA Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2015, 12:40 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Match engine thoughts - to make better sliders

I always enjoy reading the different slider discussions on the forum, to see what other players are thinking regarding the way the game is playing, and how they adjust the sliders to fix different areas of game play.

With 16 only just out, I began my usual practice of watching CPU teams play to get a feel for the new version. Having watched over 10 games (using 10 min halves), the first thing that stood out was that the chance creation is very limited this year - only seeing 5-6 shots a game total! (Arsenal v Monnaco x 10). even worse i player 5 mis-match games (Wellington Phoenix (low 60s v Arsenal low 80s) and still only saw 5-6 shots a game total, with the Phoenix out shooting Arsenal 3 times!?

My targets are 20 shots a game total, with half that number on target and only half again scoring max. (10-15 min halves)

Im hoping for peoples impressions of the match engine, where you think the problems may be, and what you are trying to fix them. I think this could be useful to every one trying to make the game better for all our different playing styles.

Ill start...

Passing seems broken (IMO), too many passes short, long or too hard for the receiver to control. (CPU v CPU)

Slider - pass error and control? (I lowered to 45 for both seemed to fix)
Side effect - higher pass completion %. Dribbling moves work more often.

Defense react quicker, turn quicker, run down dribblers.

Slider - Acceleration, marking? (i have tried turning down again to 45)
effect - more space and time, allows for more chance creation.

Please add your insights and ideas.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Match engine thoughts - to make better sliders

Man, finally found someone who is sharing my worries. I hardly notices any difference between teams. On the same difficulty levels, they get equal chance of shoots and possession. I tried playing with sliders using the recos in this forum still not major changes.

The biggest discovery is that World Class is bugged this year. I have seen couple of posts of playing with professional and boosting the sliders a bit to make them more powerful. I started having better results in terms of percentages but the game feels more like FIFA 15 now. I am confused right now. Hopefully a patch will fix
Old 09-28-2015, 10:53 PM   #3
Rookie

Update thoughts..
(Important note: I play at WC level, play in position. So team mates are all AI controlled.

Passing: apon reading more about the match engine, it appears that the new "Driven Ground Pass" is the main culprit for many of the issues. I feel that the CPU/AI is over using this type of pass, this is causing so many mistakes that its effecting the flow of the games, with too many mis-controls and misplaced passes in key areas causing chances to be lost. (IMO)

I found that by turning down Control to 45 has had a positive effect in my slider set up.

Shooting Accuracy: trying to find the sweet spot for 50% Accuracy average (CPU v CPU).

Slider: Shot Accuracy 55 seems to do it very consistently.

Line Length: defense is much better this year making chances few and far between. The midfield seems to drop back mixing with the defense line to really close any holes quickly, this can turn the games into a pass fest of side to side, looking for a hole to try and punch thru.

Sliders: Height/Length/Width.
Height in 15 i turned this down when everyone else turned it up, In 16 im on the fence, i think its about right at 50? I see the community seem to think 48 is the spot, i was there too but as i said - it feels ok at 50. I think EA have it right this year. (Im off to wash my mouth out now lol)

Length as i said above i think the lines mix well for realism - but im trying to have a full game experience with 15 min halfs, and have no interest in playing full 45min halfs - so i open up the gap a little to create for room for chance creation 53 seems to work well for me. I wouldn't go above 55. (IMO)

Width Im undecided here, the feel of the 50 setting is solid, giving a compact feel but still having room outside for over lapping runs etc. making tighter (lowering) compacts the middle allowing more room outside, while increasing opens up the middle a bit more... Im at 52 and this is working for my attacking targets perfectly, while still allowing defenders to achieve good match ratings (All AI Players average 6.5)

I think the above statement is important (to Me), The AI should not be impaired by the slider changes we make, All AI players should have as much chance to play well as I do - if i play rubbish football thats my fault not theirs, having games end with all AI players averaging above 6 is an important target for me. IMO it means its been a fair contest.

Im not going to post my complete sliders... i dont think most people like playing the way i do (In position).

For the most part i think this year is solid at the default 50. hence this tread to discus ideas...

One last thing - has anyone else seen evidence of (looks both ways)... (ssssssshhhhhh) scripting?

I watched with 4 friends during a testing session a "Deja Vu" witch clearly shows it does happen...

Kick off - ball passed left to winger - attacked by two defenders - escapes down open left wing to byline - truns back, dribbles to top of box attempting to come inside - defender attempts tackle but gets hurt in challenge- play continues and ends up at the other end, with a shot from the far side (left) of the field witch bounces on top of the right side of the net - Injured player subbed off.

Last edited by DaBossa; 09-28-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:29 AM   #4
Rookie

Thanks for update. I was playing with sliders myself on all difficulty levels, game speeds, trying the recos in different sites, running several 10 minutes CPU vs CPU simulations and made some conclusions:

1- The best AI is made on the prof level. WC and legendary are screwed up by EA this year. Whatever I do, no major differences between teams. Al Khaleej always draw Germany and have equal possession.
2- All sliders I changed were impacting both CPU sides of course and have reversing impact
3- As you said, i think the sliders were very good this year and no much need for changing
4- Best CPU - CPU I was able to reach is Professional, Normal Speed, all 50 with the exception of pass error at 55, First touch at 55 and run frequency at 60, GK 15. All of those just to create some differences between good and bad teams
5- EA did a lousy job as AI are not using the lovely additions like feints (L2), SKill moves. What is the point of having Robbin and Ribery in Bayern if what they only do is passing and making crosses. Lousy job from EA.
6- Whatever I do, Ajax always defeat Liverpool :-) and Anderlecht defeats Bayern Munchen :-)

So watching CPU-CPU is not fun this year, usually I spend a lot of time seeing teams playing and making some CPU comptetions and with FUT being so Pacy, I am only left with SEASONS and COOP SEASONs this year. and yes they are very fun to play.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:37 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasendi
Thanks for update. I was playing with sliders myself on all difficulty levels, game speeds, trying the recos in different sites, running several 10 minutes CPU vs CPU simulations and made some conclusions:

1- The best AI is made on the prof level. WC and legendary are screwed up by EA this year. Whatever I do, no major differences between teams. Al Khaleej always draw Germany and have equal possession.
2- All sliders I changed were impacting both CPU sides of course and have reversing impact
3- As you said, i think the sliders were very good this year and no much need for changing
4- Best CPU - CPU I was able to reach is Professional, Normal Speed, all 50 with the exception of pass error at 55, First touch at 55 and run frequency at 60, GK 15. All of those just to create some differences between good and bad teams
5- EA did a lousy job as AI are not using the lovely additions like feints (L2), SKill moves. What is the point of having Robbin and Ribery in Bayern if what they only do is passing and making crosses. Lousy job from EA.
6- Whatever I do, Ajax always defeat Liverpool :-) and Anderlecht defeats Bayern Munchen :-)

So watching CPU-CPU is not fun this year, usually I spend a lot of time seeing teams playing and making some CPU comptetions and with FUT being so Pacy, I am only left with SEASONS and COOP SEASONs this year. and yes they are very fun to play.
If you play manual, we can play some friendlies.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2015, 09:28 PM   #6
Rookie

Using pro level.... Never thought of that.

So use pro level and up sliders to make more difficult - might have to give that a try.

Im playing my career at the moment, starting in English league 1 (Coventry). But my player has improved so fast with the new training and playing that im way out classing the league (rated 78 after 20 games!).

My point was that ive found a nice set of sliders for this league, seeing very consistant games. 18-20 shots, 6-12 on target with scores of no more than 3 goals total. Average 4-8 tackles each, 3-4 fouls, and average about 4 corners. Average AI player ratings 6.5 - which i think is good.

I use assisted a controls (im old lol), so my action success will be the same as the AIs - in theory? eg. my players Vision rating will determine if my pass goes to the correct target, my players Finishing skill determines if his shot is on target etc... I just have to get him to the right places and chose what to do there.

Basic slider adjustment start places are as i have stated in my thoughts.

Acceleration 45
Shot error 55
Pass error 45
Marking 45
Length 53
Width 52
Control 45

Fullbacks 80 - i have not covered this but at this setting they are within 10-15 meters of wide players, and make frequent runs in support. There is the chance of quick counter attacks in behind if the defense makes a good interception.

Runs - again i have not covered this so... Ive tried as high as 100 and completely off at 0. Some thoughts say 50 gave good results, but i felt the midfield emptied too quickly, leaving the defenders to pass back and forth because they had no other options.

Last year (i think) there was a good video talking about player Vision, why some players make long killer passes, and why some just dont see the option. I think maybe allot of people never grasped the idea that Vision is so important to all players. Runs taking attacking players into space is all fine and well, but useless if nobody can see the option of the pass to them.

So Runs i lower to at least 35 (start point), i was at 25 for about 15 games, and thought this worked well, but am trying 30 at the moment to see if there is any noticeable difference - im on the fence right now.

Shot speed and Pass speed - a little fast at 50 (IMO), ive lowered to 47 and feels better, keepers at 50 get to make saves, defenders can still make interceptions with passing at 47, but its also quick enough to open up scoring chances.

Thank you for feed back...
Old 09-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #7
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

OVR: 11

Love this thread. I am currently running a CPU-CPU simulation of the EPL and Bundesliga seasons through play now and I'm struggling to get the shot numbers up. Many 0-0 games and too many crosses from wide that end up in the keepers hands or with him punching it clear. I feel that alone being changed could help change some numbers.

I don't normally mess with length, height, width, runs and marking, but I'm thinking my hand is forced.

Currently I'm working with 15 mins and I agree with Professional showing the best results.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #8
Rookie

OK yesterday I tried something that started to create some edge for high rated teams against lower ones in CPU vs CPU matches. I have increased Sprint Speed to 52 from 50. The result of that was lovely as higer rating teams started to press to get the ball and good players like Neymar started making some nice dribbling. I think I have something acceptable for CPU CPU macthes and comptetions. I wll keep improving with observing more matches

Difficulty: Pro
Speed: Normal
Time: 10 Min

Sprint 52/52
Acceleration 50/50
Shot Error 35/35
Pass Error 56/56
Shot Speed 51/51
Pass Speed 42/42
Injury Freq 60/60
Injury Severity 40/40
GK Ability 15/15
Marking 50/50
Run Freq. 50/50
Height 55/55
Length 48/48
Width 48/48
Fullbacks 65/65
First Touch 57/57

Enjoy

Last edited by yasendi; 10-01-2015 at 09:14 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Sliders »