Home

Old 11-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27
Done.

After yet another laughable screw job by the CPU, I am officially done with this game.

All-Star isn't enough of a challenge, and Superstar is so ridiculous I can't decide if I want to laugh or throw my controller through the wall. I was beating the Blues 3-0 after 2 periods...simply dominating all aspects of gameplay. What happened in the 3rd period exemplifies this game in a nutshell for me. They get two quick goals, then tie the game, and then score the winning goal with 5 minutes to play to win 4-3. Four goals in the third period.

I play this game realistically...hockey is my favorite sport. I play great defense (as anyone who has ever played me online can attest), but I can't overcome my goalie consistently playing 10 feet out of the crease. And most of all, I cannot overcome what the CPU does on Superstar. Call it attribute boosts, manic mode, comeback logic, or whatever you want --- but it is in there. The CPU has low shot totals on every skill level, but will score on numerous cheapies to magically make the game close. It's as bad as it ever has been in this series....I never felt it was in there in 07/08/09, but it is definitely there.

To all those still enjoying it, good luck. If I am asked back to the Community Event next year, I certainly hope they are ready for some feedback. This series, unfortunately, has gone backwards --- and as a result I will have to wait for next year to see if things are turned around.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 47
Re: Done.

I think that is because we are the minority and they have to cater to the majority. So you are going have a game that is more arcade feeling too it. Which is OK, but not me. I am still digging BAP mode, but mostly I like seeing me out there on the ice. But I am doing well too, but I am not playing real hockey. My Teammate AI are terrible, so I am basically just deking and shooting and scoring. Almost like a one man team out there. Sorry you have lost that loving feeling with this game bro. Maybe the second patch can fix this issue, but I really think this is the kind of game the majority of the people want. So I doubt they will patch it.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Ya im with ya on that Flyermania.I can dominate on all-star and then when it comes to superstar the cpu is gets a cheap advantage.I see way too many cheap stuff by them on superstar like the weak goals, the phantom poke check and the robot goalies.I dunno im still playing it though but i don't think for too much longer.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Banned

codes's Arena

OVR: 2

And this is the reason I never bought the game. I borrowed it from a friend in the morning, played it pretty much all day and returned it to him in the evening.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 10

I don't understand how everyone is getting so dominated on superstar.. most games for me I outshoot the CPU about 32-13 on 7 min periods.. unless you have the cpu diff adjust slider raised i dunno whats up.. and believe me I am average at best at this game.. granted I don't win by huge margins because the goalies are still waaaay too good on high percentage shots...

Even on BAP when I don't play the whole game my team dominates with shots and goals... (20-0-4 with the Marlies.. of course for some reason they sent Kaberle down so we're really kicking *** now)

The real problem with the game is the lobotomy they gave the offensive AI. I agree with you though scott I only play for BAP and online now (and online is boring since it's either a cheese goal fest or if you play realistic hockey nobody scores and every game goes to overtime 0-0 or 1-1).. BAP is fun but like you said it's arcadey but who wants to play a scrub anyways... there's simply not enough in the rest of BAP mode to make playing a grinder or tough guy/enforcer interesting.

It's time once again to blow up the wishlist thread and hope for the best again next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2009, 02:08 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 10

I have known Flyermania for a while. Well, not personally, but I've had countless conversations with him doing work on tweaking sliders for the 2K series. This isn't someone who doesn't know strategy, doesn't know hockey gaming, or doesn't know realism. What he's reporting is true. I was gonna complain myself about robot goalies. The comeback logic is to the point where I now know that I have to get three goals in or else the CPU is gonna go crazy on me in the 3rd. This isn't about arcade vs simulation, it's about logical vs illogical. It's not just that the game is arcadey. It's that it seems badly programmed in terms of how it responds to momentum and being ahead or behind. The fun is taken away when you can begin to predict how the CPU will behave. It's like watching a recorded game that you already know the score of and thinking that somehow the score might come out different if you keep watching.

It's not awful, it's just frustrating and a shame.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:53 AM   #7
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Sorry to hear Flyer, that you've given up on this years game.

I have a couple of things in my favor that keep me enjoying the game. I haven't played many hockey games for the last several years, so this game is still quite new to me. So some of the frustrations that the more veteran plays have...I'm not there yet. And also, my skill level is so low...I'm able to get a great challenge outta All-Star level. So no need for me to have to deal with the WTH's of the games highest playing level.

I hope Flyer that you'll be representing us again at CD next year. Myself...and I'm sure many others will agree, that you have a great grasp of what most of us would like to see addressed, to make NHL an even better and more realistic hockey sim.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:25 AM   #8
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Wow, that sucks Flyer. Hopefully EA releases a Tuner Set and or a Patch to fix some of the issues that plague this game. Other than the poor Offensive AI and the issues of cheap Cpu play on Superstar, the game is quite solid. Well they could fix the Goalies challenging so far out all the time as well. These get fixed and EA has me back I know that. Flyer too I'm sure.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »