Home

IGN Review is up

This is a discussion on IGN Review is up within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-04-2010, 01:00 AM   #33
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: IGN Review is up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2451
well, sadly I wouldn't exactly praise a lot of the OS reviews lately either

the madden review was ridiculous (in score, but more importantly in the lack of content)

and for kicks and giggles, heres a little snippet from the beginning of the NCAA 11 review where the reviewer talks about how happy he is because 11 is essentially saving a series that had just gotten worse and worse... "I hit my personal low point with the series in August of 2009. After being angered by the lack of innovation and stale gameplay, I shelved my copy of NCAA 10 within two weeks of release and literally never touched it again"... NCAA 11 scored a 9.0... yet NCAA 10, the game this reviewer couldn't play for more than 2 weeks and apparently hated, scored an 8.0

there seems to be a disconnect developing... granted its not as bad as a site like IGN, but it appears to be there nonetheless
I was referring more to the impressions from members on the site, no so much the reviews themselves, which I agree, have been a bit lackluster lately. Chase mentioned they are going to change the format and I think that is a good move; get away from trying to cover every little thing and just tell us your honest thoughts on the game, good and bad.
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Old 09-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #34
Banned

OVR: 7

I guess when they really like a game at IGN, it gets an ok score. Funny how the devs were knocked down for including the HUT mode, but, no mention of the new game play physics. Oh well, I guess this will once again be the worst game of all time that makes people wish that they bought it when it came out.

Seems to me, honestly though, that the person reviewing this game was not a sports gamer, and, was basically reviewing the game modes, but, not the game play. Must have been a newbie.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:23 AM   #35
Pro

Clarityman's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBOO
I guess when they really like a game at IGN, it gets an ok score. Funny how the devs were knocked down for including the HUT mode, but, no mention of the new game play physics. Oh well, I guess this will once again be the worst game of all time that makes people wish that they bought it when it came out.

Seems to me, honestly though, that the person reviewing this game was not a sports gamer, and, was basically reviewing the game modes, but, not the game play. Must have been a newbie.
They did mention the gameplay physics. It was just such a shallow take on it that it's not surprising at all you missed it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 2

What a poor review.

You can always tell a review of any NHL game is going to stink when the writer starts off with a slight on the sport itself. The usual "Hockey's not very popular" line. I hate that. The people who have no interest in hockey won't be reading the review and as others have said, the writer came across as having little interest either.

Even from the demo, it's clear that the 11th iteration has made a dramatic leap forward from NHL 10 and if you enjoyed that then 11 is pretty much an essential purchase. This review didn't do much to convince floating buyers with its use of words like "churning" and "same old stuff with broken sticks" tone.

I'm a developer myself and nothing gets churned out if you want the finished software to be polished. Heck, getting the entire CHL in there is a logistical challenge in itself.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 3

IGN = Ignorant Gaming Network

Atleast put someone that has played the game in the office for a few years! Not just some puppet with a short leash. Geez, if the clown had any respect for the game he would point out how the game has become more authentic and organic compared to iterations in the past. He never even took the time to mention certain features that have been newly implemented!

Old 09-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #38
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallCenterZombie
IGN = Ignorant Gaming Network

Atleast put someone that has played the game in the office for a few years! Not just some puppet with a short leash. Geez, if the clown had any respect for the game he would point out how the game has become more authentic and organic compared to iterations in the past. He never even took the time to mention certain features that have been newly implemented!

the quote i always liked was " You can't spell IGNorant without IGN."
Old 09-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
the quote i always liked was " You can't spell IGNorant without IGN."
hahahahah!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 4

He should have given the Gameplay a 9, at least! The good thing is, when it comes to NHL, I never have to take a review into consideration when buying. To the IGN reviewer - back to COD and Halo you go! Bye Bye.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »