Home

NHL 14 Gameplay Video - E3 2013

This is a discussion on NHL 14 Gameplay Video - E3 2013 within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #33
Rookie

peter21's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: NHL 14 Gameplay Video - E3 2013

It's looking more and more to me that as we near the end of the latest console generation, we're getting more and more 'refinements' when it comes to the NHL series. The question is, are these little refinements and enhancements enough to warrant a $60 purchase. It's trending towards no for me.

This yearly sports gaming model is starting to break down. It's a rush to implement everything from a programmer's standpoint and things are either left out, not fixed, underdeveloped or put off until later, leading to increased frustration from us the gamers/consumers.

Some games, like FIFA, are able to pull it off, but that may be because they have a larger development team.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
Somehow, I need to blame myself in playing NHL 13, not only because of the lack of attention of EA to offline gamers, but because of my passion for the game. I really like the game of hockey, either playing or watching or playing the video game, and it frustrates me when EA produces the game that is so way out to the actual game. I know this is only a video game, but at least make it feel real, example of which is NBA 2k13 and The Show.

I really really hope that there will be another hockey video game out there. I hope Sony will produce ala The Show for NHL (since I am buying PS4 next year ). So much potential for EA's NHL to shine but its not really living it's expectations.

The only reason why their sales is high for NHL is because there's no competition. Not much effort and investment necessary to produce this game, that's why not much improvement.
I've kind of given up on getting even a semi-realistic hockey game. NHL 2k8 to me was the closest there was, but 2K failed to follow up on that one. I had sliders in that game that played amazingly well, and the game almost felt perfect. I've had so much frustration with hockey games in the past (EA and 2K), that at this point I just accept that if I buy one, I'm buying it as an arcadey style game and I'm just looking for something that's at least entertaining and tries.

But having only played this game for a week or so now, I would say anyone looking for anything semi-realistic needs to stay far away from this game. I actually laugh at least 15 times each game I play at how dumb the AI is and how things play out; but the game is entertaining, at least.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #35
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

I was reading the news of the day for gamers....MS announced that they will change their policies with the upcoming X1 (Drm's, Online checking etc.)

I think if we dont support NHL14, EA will think twice in releasing this game or even really focus on improving this NHL franchise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2013, 02:24 AM   #36
Banned

OVR: 24

Sucks if this gen of games go by the wayside for the new consoles. Not all of us can easily spend $$$$ on a new system to play (for me, anyways) a small handful of games.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #37
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Watching last night's Game 4 tilt made me really miss 2K3 (PS2).
Every type of goal scored in that game, I witnessed in 2K3.

There was such an organic feel to that game. And because you could really see the difference in player types, and teams, every game was different.

Watching these early clips of NHL14 has me yearning for Treyarch to get back into developing hockey games.
I can't even begin to fathom how good 2K could have been if Chris and the gang were still making them.

I really hope we see something different with NHL15 on next-gen consoles.
But with no competition, I doubt EA puts a full effort into it.
Look at how stale the games have been since 2K pulled out.
EA has basically done nothing as far as presentation, commentary, graphics, and AI since NHL08.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #38
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

IMO, what else can we get out of EA NHL? what new modes? they always have to think of back of the box stuff. which i understand, that sells games.

but when can we die hard hockey fans get a year or two of back of the box material?

graphics, tapped out on current gen. cool! how about work on the faces for each team?

lets say, for NHL 14, they capped the rosters on July 15th. then worked on 5 to 10 players faces per team. then did the same for NHL 15, and again for NHL 16. whats that? you dont say, every player on every team in the NHL would have their player cyber face? would only take a few years. this should have been done starting in 07, bc now, we would have a full league of player faces.

gameplay tapped out as well? cool..

then please tweak the current strategies. make the AI players flow with the actual play. make them know where the puck is and where the player carrying the puck is going so they dont just skate in our way bc they HAVE to get to a certain spot. on offense, have the cycle better, better movement in o-zone, same on d. make puck support on o and d better, way to much spacing between players.

how about adding a few different skate styles? say even if its just 4 different styles. playmaker/sniper style, grinder/tough guy style, offense d man style, defensive d man style.

oh my, look at that, players now will look different on the ice, can tell by the way they move etc. again, something that has been long over due.

how about superstar deking? like one of the past NHL games, where these players are the ONLY ones that can perform those great LB button dekes. all other players would have basic ones to use and only use. would force guys to not dangle with those players and dump the puck in when pressured, or even make a pass.

how about coaching license? so we can see actual coaches behind the bench. like in Madden, etc. is that to much to ask? you cant get it? cool, leave the coaches and assistants EDITABLE. so roster makers can edit the names of the coaches, like what? oh, NCAA. wow!

so much they can do by just tweaking what they already have, yet its like they dont do it. tweak it and MAKE a HUGE deal about it on the back of the box for a few years. make those casual fans understand the game, live up to what you already put on the box "most realistic NHL game" etc.

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 06-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #39
Rookie

onac22's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
IMO, what else can we get out of EA NHL? what new modes? they always have to think of back of the box stuff. which i understand, that sells games.

but when can we die hard hockey fans get a year or two of back of the box material?

graphics, tapped out on current gen. cool! how about work on the faces for each team?

lets say, for NHL 14, they capped the rosters on July 15th. then worked on 5 to 10 players faces per team. then did the same for NHL 15, and again for NHL 16. whats that? you dont say, every player on every team in the NHL would have their player cyber face? would only take a few years. this should have been done starting in 07, bc now, we would have a full league of player faces.

gameplay tapped out as well? cool..

then please tweak the current strategies. make the AI players flow with the actual play. make them know where the puck is and where the player carrying the puck is going so they dont just skate in our way bc they HAVE to get to a certain spot. on offense, have the cycle better, better movement in o-zone, same on d. make puck support on o and d better, way to much spacing between players.

how about adding a few different skate styles? say even if its just 4 different styles. playmaker/sniper style, grinder/tough guy style, offense d man style, defensive d man style.

oh my, look at that, players now will look different on the ice, can tell by the way they move etc. again, something that has been long over due.

how about superstar deking? like one of the past NHL games, where these players are the ONLY ones that can perform those great LB button dekes. all other players would have basic ones to use and only use. would force guys to not dangle with those players and dump the puck in when pressured, or even make a pass.

how about coaching license? so we can see actual coaches behind the bench. like in Madden, etc. is that to much to ask? you cant get it? cool, leave the coaches and assistants EDITABLE. so roster makers can edit the names of the coaches, like what? oh, NCAA. wow!

so much they can do by just tweaking what they already have, yet its like they dont do it. tweak it and MAKE a HUGE deal about it on the back of the box for a few years. make those casual fans understand the game, live up to what you already put on the box "most realistic NHL game" etc.

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

They won't do most of what you have here because EA has decided HUT is more important. As well as profit. Gamefaces are on convenience and the NHLPA has more to do with lack of faces. The player's have to stop by the EA office take a picture and then sign the releases. This is why all of the faces are not in yet.
However from what I have read the dekeing has become more skill based this year, which is great news. From my interpretation a player like Raffi Torres will only be able to pull forehand and other basic dekes,while Datsyuk is still Datsyuk. What I can't figure out is whether or not everyone can attempt all dekes and just won't finish. Or are they locked until the skill points reach certain levels. But anyway dekeing is different this year so that is good. But one touch deking still worries me a little.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #40
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
But with no competition, I doubt EA puts a full effort into it.
Look at how stale the games have been since 2K pulled out.
EA has basically done nothing as far as presentation, commentary, graphics, and AI since NHL08.
Like you mentioned, EA was making the right steps until NHL 12 wherein 2K caved in,because they stopped producing quality hockey game (remember that fog and tilting ice...arrggghh!). NHL 12.....no penalties or lack thereof...same with NHL 13 on it's release then EA tuned it for NHL 13 and then we saw penalties. I know its not much variety of penalties being called, but at least there were penalties. I dont know much about programming but why EA didnt come up with a tuner for 12 to answer the lack of penalties, I dont know.

I am really hoping either another company produces NHL game, or EA seriously looked in to their NHL franchise and make a commitment to improve this game not only for ONLINE consumers but also for the OFFLINE. IF not, NHL die hard fans will not buy NHL 14 so EA's attention will be called for, just like what happen to MS w/ X1...CONSUMERS still is the winner no matter what angle you looked at it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »