Home

From Reddit: EA intentionally removed “full presntation” this year

This is a discussion on From Reddit: EA intentionally removed “full presntation” this year within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2022, 12:21 PM   #25
MVP

PernellKarl076's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: From Reddit: EA intentionally removed “full presntation” this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvarus
I have played it and it's still mostly a copy and paste job, like always they add little things to it. The crowds are better yes but when they promote one major selling point of what they've improved being the presentation and then willingly remove half the presentation that's bad. And I'm sorry but 2 seconds of the National Anthem and a slightly more reactive crowd does not make up for removing all the other intros, goalie comparisons and all the in game replays outside of when a goal is scored.
I agree with you about them removing something that was already there was dumb… And I've already said so…But…

Maybe it's because I play with the action Camera, but to not notice a somewhat major overhaul in graphics, atmosphere, crowds, vendors, play by play and gameplay is mind blowing…. I even saw camera flashes before a face off last night… Ok it's nothing major you might say, but it adds to the great atmosphere of NHL23 !
Follow me on your favourite TUBE (Videos backstories often in my Slider Thread)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2022, 12:28 PM   #26
Rookie

BigBadAss33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
Proof? Go play the trial my guy its not there. Check me track record on this forum, I have never been one to pass off any false information for purposes of simply trashing a game. Also, there is another thread on this same forum where someone playing the trial confirmed that strategies are restricted to a pre-game adjustment only. Which means they only can be changed on a per game basis and not universally in franchise mode.

This also means that you are stuck with whatever strategies you start the mode with, because even when you make a coaching change (same as it has been since they introduced the coaching staff feature) your strategies stay on the default strategies of your original coach. You used to be able to manually change them to match up with your new coaches philosophy, but you can no longer do that. This makes coaching staffs a completely useless feature.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ribers-13.html

Here you go! Confirmed by a user on this forum you can only change strategies on a per game basis and they do not carry over. Also confirming coaching changes do not replace the pre set strategies. It’s also all over Reddit and EA official forum if you want to go have a look

This seems crazy to me but regardless it wont stop me from getting it..

strategies never really mattered anyway only to try and get a good fit with your coach for the 1st 2 years..

thanks for the info
Old 10-13-2022, 12:56 PM   #27
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadAss33
This seems crazy to me but regardless it wont stop me from getting it..

strategies never really mattered anyway only to try and get a good fit with your coach for the 1st 2 years..

thanks for the info
Strategies never really mattered?

They are literally probably the most important immersion factor of franchise mode. The trade deadline and coaching staffs were the big ADD for franchise mode a couple of years ago, and now the feature has zero bearing on franchise mode.

I would even go further and say it makes drafting players and scouting completely obsolete. CPU teams draft the best player possible. If you have a team that starts off with a defensive strategy and the players they draft are offensive players it puts the CPU at a HUGE disadvantage. They will literally never be able to change their scheme to match their players! To me that’s a pretty big deal. This will also lead to franchise mode being roughly the same teams doing the same things for the 25 year duration. No parity. To most franchise players that is a really big deal

If your one of those guys who likes just playing the games and winning 5 cups in a row by our scoring your opponents 8-2 every game, then yes. I guess the strategies being stuck in default doesn’t really “matter”. For most franchise players we value the challenge of “team building”. That is why we play franchise mode and not HUT

My vitriol is not pointed at you btw. It’s pointed at the comment it “doesn’t really matter”. Probably 75% of the franchise mode base will tell you that team building immersion and a somewhat passable broadcast package we’re the only thing making franchise mode worthy of playing

Last edited by Therebelyell626; 10-13-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:19 PM   #28
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

It is absolutely asinine why this was removed. Now I just feel rushed the entire game. It's even worse than when MLB The Show decided to remove slow from their pace of play option. I actually had a couple of nice games the other night. I had a lot of pressure when entering the zone and it was really challenging on All Star with full CPU difficulty and Al Tito's sliders. With removing this broadcast stuff I really don't think I'll be buying. I played NHL 21 a lot because I actually liked the game a ton, until I found how easy it was to get past a defenseman on the boards for a breakaway. That killed it for me. However, one of the things that made that broadcast super fun was the in-between whistles cameras. One of the coolest little things I've loved in a sports game was that NHL allowed you to rotate the camera with the left stick between play and look at the entire arena. It was so damn cool. I didn't play more than a couple hours of my 22 trial but they had that same feature as well.

All of the immersion into the game is now gone because I'm sure they have statistics saying this is how many people skip to the next faceoff so lets remove it because offline people don't matter. Absolutely infuriating and the fact they touted the presentation makes it worse. At the same time this is not shocking. EA in a nutshell now.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

Last edited by bwiggy33; 10-13-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:43 PM   #29
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

I would never entertain the idea that the development team is too small or the cycle is too short.

EA makes 1.5 billion a year on ultimate team through Madden, Fifa and NHL combined. They paid the NFL 1 billion and the players assoc 500 million for a 5 year licensing deal and 150 million a year to Fifa per year for licensing. I couldnt find info on the amount they pay the NHL but it would be less than those im sure so for arguments sake lets say 100 million a year. They would still make 5 billion dollars over a 5 year span. Thats not even including actual game sales. EA makes about 1.6 billion for game sales a year across their entire catalog so lets say conservatively 500 million of that is for these 3 games. Thats another 2.5 billion in 5 years. 7.5 billion EA would make in 5 years.

They could hire more people to reach deadlines and assure quality they just choose not to.

I know NHL isnt as popular as fifa or Madden but its still probably responsible for 1 billion of that profit in 5 years.

So again.
They could hire more people to reach deadlines and assure quality they just choose not to.

Im 48 and remember when EA was the king of all video game sports. Now its just a running joke of greed and poor quality. The sad thing is every year(me included) we just feed the monster and complain after on the internet(me included). I just want them to be so much better.
Old 10-13-2022, 02:13 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 2

comparing the presentation in FIFA and NHL is just crazy. FIFA nailed the presentation. Nothing beats the sound of the crowds / chants in FiFA, it takes full advantage of 7.1 / 5.1 sound. NHL literally has no presentation this year at all, just makes me sad honestly.
Old 10-13-2022, 02:16 PM   #31
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
https://www.reddit.com/r/EA_NHL/comm...nse_to_nhl_23/

For the people speculating it would be added after the trial. Confirmed by the EA community manager. It’s out by design this year and probably not coming back.

This combined with strategies being removed from franchise, I am out this year. Have fun boys
If this is true...yeah, I think that's the nail in the coffin for me.

Can't get the game this year guys. It's just too many drawbacks.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2022, 02:56 PM   #32
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
If this is true...yeah, I think that's the nail in the coffin for me.

Can't get the game this year guys. It's just too many drawbacks.
I’m there to honestly. What blows my mind is even in my most wildest assertions, I for the life of me cannot even come up with a reason these decisions were made. You could argue, “well, they’re trying to save money”. No… no…. No. They could literally just use the broadcast package from last year and it wouldn’t cost them a dime of money or any additional resources.

Let’s be honest. EA is a profit driven company. There is zero financial incentive for them to remove something that would cost them exactly zero dollars to produce this year. Removing it adds nothing to their bottom line, other than some fantasy they may have that everyone will all of a sudden drop all offline modes and start dropping money in HUT if they are just not fun to play.

My second theory is that one of these new “presentation overlays” or “team intros” (all six of them lol) caused some type of catastrophic bug to occur with the broadcast package from last year. At which point the logical thing to do would be to remove the new fluff, and not the overall broadcast package. But EA wouldn’t due this because in their warped mind they probably feel it’s best to sale “them” on something NEW even if it is incomplete, then to not have anything to sale “them” on at all.

Now let’s get back to “team intros”. There are 6 of them in the game out of 32 teams. This is absolutely crazy. Can you imagine if maddens big selling feature last year when they implemented team momentum and home field advantage only applied to 6 of the 32 teams???? People would have been completely outraged. The difference is EA knows they can stick it to the NhL fan base without as much as a whimper.

Thirdly, to all of you people claiming EA Vancouver is a small development team. They are not. EA Vancouver is also responsible for producing FiFa which is the highest selling sports title in the world. The NhL team may be small, but they have the money and resources to insure that a major back of the box selling feature not only works, but is available to all 32 teams instead of 6.To give them a pass because of a “small team” is absolutely absurd. They simply do not care and have showed each and every one of us that this year. Not only to they not care, they are willing to use underhanded tactics, and strategic wording in their marketing materials to intentionally mislead the fan base and sale us a bill of goods.

It’s just so sleazy and disgusting

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »