Home

Must Watch Video—Player Differentiation

This is a discussion on Must Watch Video—Player Differentiation within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Must Watch Video—Player Differentiation

I can't believe he even needed to do a follow-up video.

people are actually defending this terrible game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #26
pissed, or parkinson's?

adayinthelife's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by centauris

Honestly, this is worrying in itself. The fact that there are seemingly enough people out there who are totally cool with all of this essentially justifies EA's laziness with the series from EA's standpoint.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #27
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan3026
they basically stole money.
NOT ONLY THAT BUT THEY LIED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centauris

Those complaining are either ENGLISH illiterate and cant understand the first video or just hard-core EA supporters.

Great that this video finally coming to surface. Please do not give more excuses to EA dev. team for either having no budget or lack of time. Instead of adding the needed update for broadcasts and faces of people in the arena, they could have used their "limited" resources to good use by addressing the player differentiation.

Guys, do ourselves a favor, remember this video come August, September and October when we start hearing "news" and promises of EA marketing.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

The fact that so many people are defending the lack of player separation basically answers my question as to why devs would program the game to be this way.

I hate saying it, but the hardcore hockey gamer is in a very small minority group.
EA knows where their bread-and-butter come from; from people with very little hockey knowledge, a LOT of free time on their hands, and disposable income that allows them to purchase HUT cards and EASHL boosts.

Who wants to play with a lumbering idiot like John Scott? "I can't believe he couldn't pull off that Datsyuk-ian deke!!! This game is garbage!"

I would really love to know the percentage of EA-NHL gamers that could name more than 1 player on each NHL team. Heck, I bet most couldn't name 2 NHL players beyond Crosby and Ovechkin.
I'm sure we'd get a few "Gretzky's" and "Gordie Howe's" in there.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:24 AM   #29
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16

the video is very alarming and shows how this area needs work ESPECIALLY in the stickhandling portion of the game.

I'm currently playing a season with the ottawa senators and let me share with you my thoughts :

I follow the schedule but I play my games in play now and then tab the stats after every game, then sim my games in a franchise i created to get the season results. It's a hassle plus no injuries, but it's better then cheap AI that has been associated with nhl hockey franchise mode.

Back to the video, I absolutely agree that the stickhandling is BRUTAL and that there is very little separation between a claude giroux and rinaldo. but for speed and agility, I do feel there is quite a difference and you can see it if you play in the lower gamespeeds which I believe represents true nhl speed.

I use 0 game speed and 0 acceleration so skating with Erik Karlsson does feel quite a bit different than skating with Erik Gryba. something to try in a test.

to get separation is not only a matter of speed but also the initial player explosiveness, and on default speed/acc sliders, everyone seems to be a bit too fast.

After 51 games playing with the senators

my leading scorers are :

1) Bobby Ryan 41 pts (17 goals, 24 assists) rated 89 overall and highest on team
2) Mike Hoffmann 32 pts ( 17 goals, 15 assists)
3) Mike Zibenajad 31 pts ( 12 goals, 19 assists)
4) Erik Karlsson 31 points ( 10 goals, 21 assists)
5) Mark Stone 28 points ( 17 goals, 11 assists)

my lowest point getters are all d-men :

1) borowiecky 5 assists
2) methot 1 goal, 6 assists
3) gyrba 9 assists.

The season that I play reflects that there is a decent enough skill gap which translates into on ice performance. Ryan averages about 18-20 mins a game while my 4th liner Lazar averages around 9-11 mins a game.

While I do agree with the video, I believe scaling down the sliders will have an effect on player separation. As it currently stands, I can tell when Ryan is shooting as compared to a lazar....in accuracy and in shot speed. I can also tell that I am passing with Zibanejad instead of Pageau.

My offensive game sliders are all pretty low (i play 15 minute periods)....passing is nearly 0, shooting sliders are low in accuracy, same with speed and acceleration as mentiuoned above.

Hopefully that can help with people who play offline exclusive like me. I may be wrong and I might be just seeing things, but I do feel it is quite abit easier to rush the puck up the ice with Erik Karlsson than a Gryba.

Last edited by phillyfan23; 05-04-2015 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #30
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

I guess I'll start up an old gen NHL 15 franchise tonight.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #31
Rookie

Gotmilkman24's Arena

OVR: 0

I love this video. It's amazing how mad I can be at EA, but his enthusiasm can make me happy lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #32
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

I think a good comparison would be someone with the attribute slides at the very minimum, vs someone with them maxed out. Knowing EA, that won't matter much, but I feel that it would hopefully be a more apparent difference, but, it might not be. Obviously, the point of the video was to show differences in players that people can see and know in real hockey.

I've always wanted to sim games with a team of all 99 players against a team of all minimum OVR players. Just to see if there's really much to the attributes in the game. I never noticed a difference between some rookie AHL call up and my all-star starting goalie, so i can't imagine it's as large of a difference as it should be.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »